OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

The Fiscal Legacy of George W. Bush

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Fucking lefty bloggers...:icon_cool

Bruce Bartlett held senior policy roles in the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations and served on the staffs of Representatives Jack Kemp and Ron Paul. He is the author of “The Benefit and the Burden: Tax Reform – Why We Need It and What It Will Take.”

2. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

I'd love to see one written up about Barry Hope&Dream

3. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

Sure he got the bill for George W. Bush's steak dinner.....but he got the bill, ordered lobster and a very expensive bottle of Cristal Champagne and decided to tip the wait staff a 500% tip, with the taxpayers AMEX. He had two years of house and senate control and what did he do.......SPEND MORE FUCKING MONEY THEN CAN BE PRINTED!!!!!

He went crazy liberal wanting to spend the surplus on social program bullshit. The only problem there was no surplus, and he flat out didn't give a shit.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been 4 years. Enough of this shit. Not even the "American people" are giving Obama a pass, despite what this article claims.

5. f kane

f kane Known Traffic Menace

"The 2001 tax cut did nothing to stimulate the economy"

Obama's almost trillion in stimulus did nothing to stimulate the economy, and they know it which is why they have nothing to to say but it's the other guys fault.

And I'll gladly take the 2002 through 2007 economy over what's now any day of the week.

6. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Fuck this guy. The ONLY thing that adds to debt is spending money. If I make $50,000 a year and spend $60,000, that's a $10,000 deficit. I can't say "well I expected a raise of $10,000" and balance the books. How hard is that for these idiots to understand?

7. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

It was pretty good until the events of January 3, 2007 took place and quickly got out of control

8. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'm still waiting for a date upon which Bush is no longer to blame.

9. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

You mean it doesn't add to debt if you willingly take a pay cut? Which is basically what a tax cut is to the government.

10. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

January 20, 2013

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You don't ever have the money from a pay cut in your possession. You can't count money that you don't have. You're running off the flawed premise that this money belongs to the government from the start. It doesn't.

12. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

I have better things to do with my time machine than clean up after your saint's mess.

13. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

At least you acknowledge Bush is to blame finally.

14. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Yes, that is poorly written, this guy is an idiot. The problem with the Bush admin isn't that they cut (explicit) taxes, it's that they at the same time increased spending.

You are absolutely right, only spending adds to the debt. However, spending is a tax on the general population of the country: whether it is paid back by future taxes or inflation (inflation is a tax on everyone holding the currency being inflated). It's even worse if it's never paid back, because it affects everyone's ability to gain access to capital (to borrow), not to mention the need to pay interest on the debt.

So, when a government spends more than the previous government did (as the Bush administration spent more than the Clinton administration did), they are contributing to the debt, and implicitly to higher taxes. A "tax cut" without the spending cut to go with it will not stimulate the economy. Saying that it will is just as much Keynesianism as saying that spending more will stimulate the economy.

Now if only the retards pointing these things out about the Bush admin would realize how much worse the Obama admin is, at doing the same exact thing.

15. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

P.S. The only possible motivation for willingly creating a deficit is that "it would prevent future administrations from spending as much". As you may have noticed, that didn't work either.

If Bush wanted the federal government to spend less, overall, he should've tried to cut entitlement programs. That wouldn't have prevented the Stimulus, but it would've reduced the general budget for at least a decade by whatever he managed to cut.

16. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

No, it doesn't. Why would taking a paycut add to my debt? (unless you are assuming that I'm a big enough moron to spend money I don't have - which I'm not, so please don't assume it).

Oh, and a tax cut is nothing like willingly taking a pay cut. It's like a thief deciding to steal a little less, so that the guy he's robbing doesn't notice. It makes a little more sense than willingly taking a pay cut.

17. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Since everyone here hates to see Bush take all the blame and thinks the slate was wiped clean on Jan 21, 2009, how would you feel about this.

Let's say President X enacts a law saying that all men 65 and older will automatically receive a check for $1M starting in 2020 (after President X is termed out of office). For whatever reason, Congress fails to rescind this law and it goes into effect as planned. President Y is currently the sitting president and is faced with paying out billions of dollars of Federal money to old guys every year. Does President Y take all the blame for the huge deficit created on January 1, 2020?

18. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

lrn2read

I've been asking for a date in which you guys won't blame Bush anymore for something like 2 years. I never get a date.

It's been almost 4 fucking years. At what point will your side admit that you're at fault?

Don't bother answering. We all know the answer is "never". The fact that the president himself does the same thing is pathetic, shameful and beneath the office.

19. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

When do you stop blaming Hitler for the holocaust?

20. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

This is a stupid "what if."

Lets call it what it is. The point of tax cuts is twofold.

1. To keep more money in circulation, promoting job growth and spending.
    2. To limit government spending.

When faced with a lack of tax funds, you don't cry about the previous guy giving more money back to the people. You do the right thing and cut spending. And as long as you don't cut from basic infrastructure and military, you cut as much as you have to to stay in the black.

Make no mistake, W Bush sucked at this. But, compared to Obama, Bush was a saint. Barry's spending has been an abortion of epic proportions.

21. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Right after the guy who replaced him killed 24 million Jews.

What a stupid fucking argument.

22. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

[edit]
    I did some more thinking on this: the responsibility for balancing the current budget, and never spending more than the revenue that's coming in (except in an emergency situation, like a World War), always lies with the current government. It is their responsibility to adjust legislation in a way that keeps the government they are running solvent.

If Congress in 2020, and President Y, allow the government they are running to just give away all that money and bankrupt the federal government, they are the ones who should be rounded up and executed after the inevitable revolution, not President X.

President X is a scumbag too, but he has an excuse: he couldn't have known for sure, in 2010, that the government won't have enough money to give all those billions away in 2020.

23. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Now, Don, stop thinking with your brain and think with your emotions instead. Otherwise you will never come to a logical conclusion.

The slate was not wiped clean, but that's irrelevant. What's important is every fiscal decision he's made since taking office has not only done nothing to improve the situation, it's made things much, much worse.

Even when accounting for inflation, more than twice the spending of any other president in history. And that's not just compared to four years of Bush, that's all eight years of Bush, including 9-11, Katrina, Iraq and Afghanistan, compared to Barry's four years. He's a fucking embarrassment.

24. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Yes, politicians often blame their predecessors, but politicians don't often preempt THEMSELVES from blaming their predecessors. Luckily, Obama is an exception:

[video=youtube;CCN5-ovvFL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCN5-ovvFL0[/video]

25. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

At what point do you stop blaming and start accepting responsibility?