The Ghetto Tracker App

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Funny, my reaction to this was much different than HuffPo's.
'Ghetto Tracker,' App That Helps Rich Avoid Poor, Is As Bad As It Sounds
The Huffington Post | By Lydia O'Connor Posted: 09/04/2013 5:34 pm EDT | Updated: 09/04/2013 5:54 pm EDT

In less than 24 hours, a new app tactfully titled Ghetto Tracker--a service seeking to help people identify safe areas in unfamiliar cities--has already garnered enough backlash to prompt an immediate name change to Good Part of Town.

However, the PR move may not do much to alter the public's reception of the app, which critics are slamming as a racist, classist app for helping the rich to avoid the poor.

The app functions by allowing locals to rate the safety of different parts of a given area. According to The Week, the original launch of the page featured a white family of four smiling alongside the app's promise to show users "which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe."

In addition to the name change, all mention of the word "ghetto" has been removed from the site. The site now features an ethnically diverse family on its homepage.

In an email sent to Gawker, the app's team said it changed the name in response to emails from a woman whose family had been contained in an actual World War II ghetto and one from a man who grew up in a struggling area and went on to graduate from college and overcome his upbringing.

"I can't be held responsible for the assumptions people may make in regards to factors like race and income," the letter to Gawker continued. "I've seen comments on blogs and in twitter that are trying to say this is encouraging racism or social stratification and that was never our intention."

But critics have pointed out the app's adverse effects on the community, regardless of the app's intentions.

"It’s pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that poor or crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed," David Holmes wrote on PandoDaily. "As if to assume that every person who lives in an area with comparatively high crime or poverty is a criminal, or that these areas are devoid of culture or positivity."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/ghetto-tracker_n_3869051.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Sounds like it's worth a download.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
So instead of the people who live in the bad areas actually trying to fix them, they yell at someone for telling the truth.

Makes sense.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I will take it

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
So instead of the people who live in the bad areas actually trying to fix them, they yell at someone for telling the truth.

Makes sense.

They expect da' gubmint to do all da' fixin's. Dey jus' cmplainin' so's da' gubmint man noes whats needs fixin'. Dey needs dat Whole Foods to take da' EBT cards so dey can be gettin' dem sum organic drank.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Website is gone. Where can a nigga get an apk?

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
"It’s pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that poor or crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed,"
So wait, the part that's detrimental to society is not the existence of crime-heavy areas, but the fact that people avoid them? HOLY FUCK! I missed this moronic sentence the first time I read the story.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Website is gone. Where can a nigga get an apk?
Fucking THIS! I am still learning the ropes down here in FL and have gone through some very scary places more than a few times in my travels for work.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey

Makes sense.
Hasn't that ALWAYS been the way ever since we remember?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
So wait, the part that's detrimental to society is not the existence of crime-heavy areas, but the fact that people avoid them? HOLY FUCK! I missed this moronic sentence the first time I read the story.
anyone think the good liberal folks at the Huffington Post would be seen frequenting any of these shitty areas themselves after coming down from their ivory tower after work? No, I don't think so either.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
anyone think the good liberal folks at the Huffington Post would be seen frequenting any of these shitty areas themselves after coming down from their ivory tower after work? No, I don't think so either.
But see, they're better because they lie about that and say they would.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Why isn't this an automatic part of Google Maps???

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
An app that avoids high crime areas is racist? I'm getting sick of facts being racist.

jrsaint

Feb 13, 2006
right behind you
are the opponents saying pointing out high crime areas is racist because the majority of residents are minorities? So, they finally admit minorities commit more crimes. Who's the racist now?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I guess HuffPo exists in an alternate dimension where one is either rich or poor. I am far, FAR from being rich, but I still want to avoid the ghetto.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Why isn't this an automatic part of Google Maps???
I guess they figure why be redundant when you can just look up maps of violent crime, babies with unknown fathers, welfare recipients, average rim cost to income ratios, drop out rates, per capita fried chicken consumption, melanin concentration by zip, bike thefts, iq levels, or BET ratings?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
are the opponents saying pointing out high crime areas is racist because the majority of residents are minorities? So, they finally admit minorities commit more crimes. Who's the racist now?
I mean, aren't UK ghettos mostly white?