ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA

WonkaVision

To my Friends!!! To My Friends!!!
Sep 5, 2005
HOUSTON
This is gonna stink. Farrely brothers made 2 decent movies, and a dozen that where total shit.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Today I saw The Heartbreak Kid (I snuck into it after the beautiful Darjeeling Limited), the new Farrelly Brother movie that's a remake of a Neil Simon/Charles Grodan movie.

It wasn't that good. It's better than most other romantic comedies and there were some funny parts but overall it was very mediocre. Better than their last couple of films though, but I don't hate Ben Stiller like most people do.

I will say this though, Malin Akerman (who I thought was the only sympathetic character in the movie) was ridiculously fucking hot. And Rob Cordry stole the show.

J

JimmyD81

It wasn't that good. It's better than most other romantic comedies and there were some funny parts but overall it was very mediocre.
I have no desire to see it, but I'm not a bit surprised by most reactions I've read, seen, heard concerning this drivel. I dunno, Ben Stiller just isn't funny anymore. :arrrh: Movies, in general, have become so convoluted and bland that I've lost all interest. Last decent comedy I saw was Knocked Up (and I plan on getting my hands on Superbad), and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I prefer certain television shows now, because at least there is a defined plot to be had. (eg. Heroes, Reaper, Smallville, Prison Break) I don't even go to the movies anymore because I can stream them online while I'm at work sometimes.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I prefer certain television shows now, because at least there is a defined plot to be had. (eg. Heroes, Reaper, Smallville, Prison Break) .
Yeah, those complex Farrelly movies are true head scratchers. Like David Lynch they are!

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
ugh. I was kinda looking forward to seeing this movie. Though I figured if it was any good a) it wouldn't have been advertised on 202, and b) it wouldn't be coming out in October....

oh well, I'll probably still see it, just for Jerry Stiller goodness!!

J

JimmyD81

Yeah, those complex Farrelly movies are true head scratchers. Like David Lynch they are!
Well it's not so much the complexity that I'm looking for. I guess I worded myself wrong. As a generalization about movies, I tend to turn to television dramas. A long, drawn out plot that can keep me on the edge of my seat for weeks on end or an hour and a half of mindlessness? I prefer the former, so sue me.

Alright, let me give an example...

X-Men (the trilogy): While an amazing leap in super-hero movies, it still lacked a truly defined plot. Yeah, mutants against mutants, but it was all action without any inbetween.

Heroes: An amazing effort in television drama. Taking steps throughout 24, one-hour (41 mins really) long episodes, they introduce characters and bring in their back stories with them. They help define a major plot. An enemy named Sylar is trying to hunt and kill them all, but he remains the mystery for the majority of the season and it's fun watching it unfold.

Maybe I just look into it too much, but that's because I majored in music and film. Heartbreak Kid may be a funny movie to some, but it's a movie I'll avoid.