The inevitable occurs. Time for a new 360? (info on rrod, too)

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
That's right. Despite my best efforts in aftermarket cooling, and self installed mods to lengthen it's lifespan...
My console shit the bed yesterday. Red ring of Death style.
No precursors to it, no hours and hours of extended play to prompt any damage.
First time it was fired up in a week and slammo.
To its credit (and mine, I suppose), this is the longest operating console I've been in contact with.
I've seen a lot of 'em too.

I've temporarily fixed a few red ring 360's up to this point, but was looking for some definitive information on what exactly occurs to cause a meltdown, and if there's a better way to issue a fix, temporarily or not.

I came across this link :
https://www.manncorp.com/expert_04.6x_xbox_repair_station/Xbox 360 Repair_071207a.pdf

It's entirely lengthy, and turns into a sales pitch towards the middle-end of it, but it details the most precise information I've found on the phenomena of rrod's and why they occur. I don't expect anyone to read it unless they've a deep interest in the console, or just like being an educated owner/consumer.
But, it is available to you if you'd care to read it.

Upon study of it though, I was able to determine my console simply wore out, meeting it's maximum lifespan.
At least the water cooling, and additional work I did to it helped somewhat.
Instead of blowing in 3 months, it took 18+.
Big fucking deal with the brick I own now. It's not a bad pill to swallow though, considering games have always been free ;p

Hearing reports of indiscriminate warranty help on Microsofts behalf... (meaning, even if the seals cracked, console's modded... they're inclined to replace you, as long as it's kept generally hush)

I decided to call the inept fuckers at ms xbox hq and see just how much of a voided warranty I could get away with.

As I figured, they didn't like the idea of a 5x5 square cut out of the side of the case, and opted not to honor a warranty.
Big surprise. I wasn't too upset over that.

I am a bit upset though, that there's still 90 achievements left for me to get in Hl2, Eternal Sonata is still a few hours from completion, and... Katamari has been sitting burned for 3 days now waiting to be played.
I won't even mention the upcoming Mass Effect.

Eventually, I'll plunk down for another one, but for now... I think it's back to pc gaming or outright wrapping the cord up for good.

magnus420

You can go and fuck yourself
May 28, 2005
Iowa
im on my 4th console.. i got pissed.. went to the used game store and bought just the console for about 200 bucks, including a 1 year instore warranty with them.. once my other one gets back from MS, it's gonna sit on a shelf until this one dies, then i'll just swap them out.. im tired of not having a 360..

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
fuck MS and their pos 360. I'm waiting for 360 number 3 to come back from MS. Fucking cuntish faggot company.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
2 years isn't a long life for a console / pc. It's not even a medium life.

magnus420

You can go and fuck yourself
May 28, 2005
Iowa
i've gone through 4 consoles in just under a year.

GAY!

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
The 360s have something like an over 30% failure rate. It's fucking ridiculous.

That said? I'll be buying my first one probably before the month is up.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
oddly enough, i never had a problem with my launch core 360 and i have yet to have a problem with my elite 360 either.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
2 years isn't a long life for a console / pc. It's not even a medium life.
I don't know, a heavily used PS2 would die after two years. Just didn't feel as bad 'cuz they were cheaper.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I can't remember the last console that died on me. I guess my original NES (the box shaped ones). I understand the XBOX 1, XBOX 360 though.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
18 months??? and you're fucking happy about that?!?!

Holy fuck man.. my bro's gets alot of disc read errors but no ring yet and its 1 year old... I dont think I will ever buy a 360 just for those 2 reasons.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I don't know, a heavily used PS2 would die after two years. Just didn't feel as bad 'cuz they were cheaper.
I bought a PS2 when the first came out, and I used it constantly, it never ever died. Fucking MS just built a pos this time around so that they could beat Sony, so far they are beating Sony, but the fucking sheep aren't manning up and telling MS to fuck off with their nuclear device. I take great care with all my shit, I make sure shit lasts, and I've had 2 360's die now, not my fault, fuck you MS

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I bought a PS2 when the first came out, and I used it constantly, it never ever died. Fucking MS just built a pos this time around so that they could beat Sony, so far they are beating Sony, but the fucking sheep aren't manning up and telling MS to fuck off with their nuclear device. I take great care with all my shit, I make sure shit lasts, and I've had 2 360's die now, not my fault, fuck you MS
Really? I'm on my fourth PS2. Second XBOX and I never lowered myself to buying a Nintendo.

My 360 is almost 2 years old and just barely had glitches. The biggest problem I've had was that glitchy POS Forza 2.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Really, I'm on my fourth PS2. Second XBOX and I never lowered myself to buying a Nintendo.

My 360 is almost 2 years old and just barely had glitches. The biggest problem I've had was that glitchy POS Forza 2.
I had a PS2, XBOX and GC, all ran perfect, and I bought them all at release.

My PS3 is a great machine, it runs amazing, no glitches, games run good. How many people complain about PS3's bricking??? None!

Now, what is the failure rate on the the 360, they say 30%, I wouldn't be surprised if close to 45% of them are faulty. If your's isn't glitchy, then you are lucky. When the next MS pos comes out, I'll be waiting a long time before I buy it, and that's if I but it. Fuck MS.

PC FTW

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I had a PS2, XBOX and GC, all ran perfect, and I bought them all at release.

My PS3 is a great machine, it runs amazing, no glitches, games run good. How many people complain about PS3's bricking??? None!

Now, what is the failure rate on the the 360, they say 30%, I wouldn't be surprised if close to 45% of them are faulty. If your's isn't glitchy, then you are lucky. When the next MS pos comes out, I'll be waiting a long time before I buy it, and that's if I but it. Fuck MS.

PC FTW
Nice to hear those horrible games run so well. :icon_mrgr;)

Actually, I'll likely get a PS3 when they drop the price of the good system and actually get some games worth playing. Hopefully they do something to improve the poorly designed online as well. The PS3's don't break, but the 360 gaming experience as a whole just kicks so much ass there isn't even a comparison. I was such a PS fanboy before this generation, too.

And PC gaming is about as fun as getting cancer.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
As far as percentages of consoles destined to die:

All consoles manufactured before July of 07 are pretty much guaranteed to break. 100%.
They all have shitty solder.
It's just a matter of time.
Whether it's sooner or later, the only certain thing is that it will happen.

Consoles being made lately (and even subsequent refurbs from MS) will not and do not suffer from the lack of quality the others do.
(I base my statement on x-rayed pictures and microscope shots I've seen on various sites of the most recent motherboards and chips, detailing the absence of cold solder joints, which 90% of the time accounts for rrod's)

In the event I replace mine, I'll be seeking out a july 07-current refurb and swap my old dvd drive (which I've potted to prevent needless dirty disc error possibilities, and have padded internally to avoid disc scratching).

The microsoft refurbs are actually soldered well, and outfitted with additional heatsinking. The x-clamp holding main heatsink to the cpu/gpu are replaced as well, reducing any or all stress on a warm motherboard after extended use.

You can keep your console as well kept as possible, or treat it like ass, it's still going to break unless you've got a brand new revision.

And that's the way with any sort of console that isn't solid state(nes, snes, etc), and has moving operational parts.

There's always going to be revisions to improve on crap functionality.
Is it a bitch we get the short end of it? I'm sure.
But the good outweighs the bad if you've got a warranty, and the system still trumps anything else available right now.

I really don't give a fuck about the ps3, or hearing mentions about it being in perfect shape and free of defect. That's only because it hasn't played a game worth the plastic it's pressed on in months. You can't put wear and tear on a system when all you really can do is leave it turned on waiting for ps3home and their secondlife knockoff to go live.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
My PS2 is.....at least three or four years old at this point, and has been fairly abused in that time (I'm not a super-heavy gamer where EVERY DAY for that three to four year period I've played it, but I go through stretches where I tax the thing pretty hard), and *knocks on wood* it's still working fine for me.

I've thought about trading it in, but sine it still works fine, I'll probably still keep it around, especially since I still have a ton of PS2 games, and even some PSOne games, which I'd rather play through on the PS2 rather than my PS3 (because even though my 60 gig PS3 model has an 90% backwards compatibility, I'm heding my bets).

Now, what is the failure rate on the the 360, they say 30%, I wouldn't be surprised if close to 45% of them are faulty.
Could be a few more percentage points than that, Beeman! [/Po]

I've heard that the 360's high failure rate is due to overall poor design (what's that? A Microsoft product poorly designed? The hell you say), specifically either lacking sufficient cooling apparatus or otherwise not designed to allow sufficient cooling of the system when it begins to heat up from play. I don't know if that's the god's honest truth, but considering in Europe (France in particular I think) Microsoft has been repairing broken 360s *in addition* to installing a cooling unit upon repair, I'd put some stock in it.

Not to turn this into a PS3 v. 360 debate, but I would say that the PS3 has the *potential* to be the much better machine. The biggest problem is lack of software support right now, though (even bigger than the price issue, because new models and price drops are coming, even before the end of the year). The Blu-Ray tech, in addition to making the machine a (still relatively cheap) next-generation DVD player, allows game designers to fit in more content, and the PS3's own internal processors are generally more powerful. They just need the games to really compete.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ

wrinkletard

How'd your 360 die?
Sep 30, 2004

Actually, I'll likely get a PS3 when they drop the price of the good system and actually get some games worth playing. Hopefully they do something to improve the poorly designed online as well. The PS3's don't break, but the 360 gaming experience as a whole just kicks so much ass there isn't even a comparison. I was such a PS fanboy before this generation, too.

Sony dropped the $599 80 gig to $499 today :) article

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I really don't give a fuck about the ps3, or hearing mentions about it being in perfect shape and free of defect. That's only because it hasn't played a game worth the plastic it's pressed on in months.
Come on, I didn't come in here and gloat about our earlier argument where you said the RROD happens because people aren't babying their systems. You should at least give the PS3 credit. I've watched over some 60-70 blu-rays on it (which spin the disc at up to 1.5x) over the past year as well as several other disc based games and haven't had a problem. And I'm sure I'm not atypical (except for maybe movie volume).

The PS3 is just a solid system and deserves credit for that.

And yea, they dropped the ball on the early PS2's and had a bad optical drive. But considering DVD was still fairly new I give them somewhat of a pass. Luckily they got sued over it all and had to make things right for the people who got screwed.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005

oh, I'm not a Sony Fanboy, but tell me, what stinks about the PS3 other than the price?? It has all the games that the 360 has minus Gears, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and that crapfest Halo. But Sony has Resistance, Ratchet, GT4, Heavenly Sword, God Of War, etc. The big thing that Sony is lacking is on their online sevice, it's nothing like Live, and honestly, that's the only good thing the 360 has going for it.

And PC gaming kicks ass, the online play is second to none, you can actually play an RTS on a PC and enjoy it, and my PC doesn't go fucking nuclear.

My PS3 is on at least 100 hours a week.

I leave it on and let Folding@Home run while not playing it. It is never hot to the touch, and has only frozen TWICE, and once while my Girlfriend was being impatient for Cash Guns Chaos to load.

Going on 8 months and still no problems.

Coem to think of it, the only system I have ever had to replace was my PS1 and that used to get transported twice a week and it got the crap beat out of it.

Ive owned over 20 systems in my life ( Atari 2600, 7800, Nes, Genesis, TurboGraphix, SNES, NEO GEO, Ps1, ps2, ps3, Gamecube, gameboy, gameboy color, Advance, DS, PSP, Neo Geo Pocket, Dreamcast, Sega Cd, Nomad, Game Gear) and that Ps1 was the only one that stopped working (and it didnt even completly stop, it just took forever to read the cds).

MOST of those systems, are still in my closet and still run. Any electronic device should last at LEAST 5 years. Even my lawnmower got 7 years out of it, and I run over anything on the lawn...

I know 360 has some good games. But I will never buy such a crap system. Why? So i can have it shit the bed and lose all my stuff? Have to wait while the thing is being repaired?

Im happy with my WORKING PS3 and all the games. :action-sm