ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA

CNET
From the moon to the Earth--in HD
November 14, 2007 9:03 AM PDT
Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

The Japan Space Agency's (JAXA's) Kaguya spacecraft re-created one of the most memorable photos from space--an Earth-rise from lunar orbit. But this one was taken for the first time with a high-definition camera.

JAXA's spacecraft is currently orbiting the moon and its equipment is being tested in preparation for its real mission to map the moon with high-definition images later this month. Two satellites carried by Kaguya, including one that will eventually land on the moon, have already been launched into lunar orbit to help the lunar mapping project.

NHK, the Japan Broadcasting Corporation, developed HDTV for use in space. Click here to see a video of the Earth-rise and Earth-set from the JAXA project site.

Credit: JAXA/NHK

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I couldn't go to the moon. Seeing my home that fucking far away would drive me insane. Look at that fucking thing!

Mar 17, 2006
That's gotta be awesome...but I would still get the feeling that I would be falling towards Earth.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Id kill for the chance to fly out far enough to see the galaxy as a whole.
From two points of view, edge on and from a 90 degree to the plane. And I'll need a little blinking light to know where our solar system is. Very cool.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV