SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
The Last Ship
post-apocalyptic drama

A Great Show.

The crew of a naval destroyer is forced to confront the reality of a new existence when a pandemic kills off most of the earth's population.

Creators:Steven Kane, Hank Steinberg
Stars:Travis Van Winkle, Jocko Sims, Eric Dane

www.tntdrama.com/TheLastShip
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402207/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ship_(TV_series)
https://twitter.com/TheLastShipTNT
http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-last-ship-season-3-tnt-trailer-1201726949/
www.thelastshiptnt.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheLastShipTNT/
www.hulu.com/the-last-ship

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Dane's always been convincing as a CO. Despite the Bruckheimer/Bay taint, the show works as a realistic portrayal of a Navy crew even with the plague storyline. More believable than JAG or NCIS was/is, for sure.

It's hard to get believable regular contemporary Navy action without going WWIII/Post-Apocalyptic, so the premise suffices to get us that.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
https://deadline.com/2017/04/thomas...-winters-berlin-station-recurring-1202073323/

Thomas Calabro has booked a recurring role in Season 5 of TNT’s The Last Ship, the postapocalyptic naval drama starring Eric Dane, Adam Baldwin and Bridget Regan. It chronicles the aftermath of a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Now, CNO Captain Tom Chandler (Dane) and his crew must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors. Calabro will play Gen. Don Kinkaid, who is in charge of the new, smaller Army that the U.S. has built up in the years since the end of the plague. Calabro starred as Dr. Michael Mancini in Darren Star’s original Melrose Place, and his recent credits include Hit the Floor and Lifetime telefilms The New Edition Story and The Wrong House.
Season 4 begins summer 2017.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Glad. It hasn't had much discussion online, so I was fearful of cancellation.

Incidentally, I think that may have to be with this being a pro-military fave of conservatives.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Rocky start with all the Greek-ness, but Arabs as the baddies is an easy sell. For his age, Dane didn't look too bad physically despite wherever his head's at.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Didn't even know this started up again.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Hate to say it, but three eps in, and I think it's starting to shit the bed. They seem to have scaled back the budget. Some of the middle-east scenes REALLY look like California, and they even flipped a scene to look as if a character had the same horizon in front as behind. Ugh.

Also, how the hell is the new "hot" Rhona Mitra-replacement chick from last season (the one who was Dane's love interest then, but seemingly not now) on the infiltration team have her hair coiffed and free during firefights and not get it in her face when she had it tied back before?

The previous semblance of reality is going out the window here. Even the arab baddie looks like a Italian guy with some added grease.

I'll stick it out, but it's not looking good.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Hate to say it, but three eps in, and I think it's starting to shit the bed. They seem to have scaled back the budget. Some of the middle-east scenes REALLY look like California, and they even flipped a scene to look as if a character had the same horizon in front as behind. Ugh.

Also, how the hell is the new "hot" Rhona Mitra-replacement chick from last season (the one who was Dane's love interest then, but seemingly not now) on the infiltration team have her hair coiffed and free during firefights and not get it in her face when she had it tied back before?

The previous semblance of reality is going out the window here. Even the arab baddie looks like a Italian guy with some added grease.

Still liking it, but yeah, it's showing its age and lack of maintenance to the overall story.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA

Bridget Regan > ANY fantastic reality elements.

Last Ship got fantastic last season with the later China vs Japanese pirates plot.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Bridget Regan > ANY fantastic reality elements.
I didn't say she wasn't ten times hotter than Mitra, because she is. It's just that they are now emphasizing it at the cost of realism.

Last Ship got fantastic last season with the later China vs Japanese pirates plot.
Of course. I also loved when they tangled with the Russians early on (the corrupt Brits in the sub was a bit less believable, but I love sub battles) since anything that mirrors reality in their reality is more believable. This "red rust" doesn't hold much water with me. They ought to either have had the original pathogen continue to exist and be fought, which they didn't do, or have the Chinese or Russians try to conquer the world in the new power vacuum, and veer the series back to that.

City-states, and poor excuses for Islamic terrorists, just don't cut the mustard. I'm only hoping the story turns to that Russkie Admiral or Chinese Premier popping up again.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
4th ep, and they seem to be stretching already.

The whole point of this last one was teasing whether Adam Baldwin would die or not, and Peter Weller's alerting us to his dry lips after drinking from an empty cup.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I watched a few episodes of season one. Did the Doctor chick every discover a cure?

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Never heard of it..but now I have to watch it...There are TNT shows that I stumble on and love... Falling Skies was great...

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I watched a few episodes of season one. Did the Doctor chick every discover a cure?
Not an usual cure.

Never heard of it..but now I have to watch it...There are TNT shows that I stumble on and love... Falling Skies was great...
The Last Ship is Much Better than Falling Skies.

@Radioguy, looking back, the show has always had a fantastic element with them pulling out improbable solutions from improbable scenarios almost every week. I really can't fault them much for continuing this path.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
They are on weaker ground now. It just doesn't seem they are trying as hard as before.

I'm hoping that's gonna change and the pace ratchets up like GOT did, but that costs money, and this last episode is an indicator of thrift, if anything.

The only that has held up is the dialogue during ground engagements, but, again, Bridget's free-flowing hair staying out of her face takes me out of it.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
She tied her hair back again. The show is saved.

Kinda saw the Brit boy toy being a likely heel turn, and he is. However, I wonder if the arab Brit was paid by Weller's spawn to say to the boytoy he's under orders, and it's not really the Brits who've turned against the USA.

I'd bet that's it, and when he finds out, he turns back before being killed saving Regan. If the Brits really did go against the USA, though...as fantastical as that is, it might work. Still, we already had rogue Brits in a sub. Bit much.

Why the fuck does the Greek captain have to speak English with Weller's daughter??? We had subs already for Greek dialogue, and this much English makes it less believable. Dumb, dumb move.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Going spicy this season. Not sure I love it. Also, budget constraints are showing through a bit more this season. It's a little threadbare at the edges with tight crowd shots, reuse of past stock shots, and some odd setting for the Ops center. Still, you can see they blew some cash on foreground battle damage CGI shots. That could be the tradeoff.

I still think they screwed up with not bringing back that ruskie admiral. This show is not on such sound footing not to dig back into bringing back a major villain (intentionally not shown to be killed for this reason) as if they can hold off until a future season. The guy nuked France. You bring him back.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Going spicy this season. Not sure I love it. Also, budget constraints are showing through a bit more this season. It's a little threadbare at the edges with tight crowd shots, reuse of past stock shots, and some odd setting for the Ops center. Still, you can see they blew some cash on foreground battle damage CGI shots. That could be the tradeoff.

I still think they screwed up with not bringing back that ruskie admiral. This show is not on such sound footing not to dig back into bringing back a major villain (intentionally not shown to be killed for this reason) as if they can hold off until a future season. The guy nuked France. You bring him back.
Well, this is it's final season, so they might be trying to find a fitting way to tie up the loose ends before the end.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Well, this is it's final season, so they might be trying to find a fitting way to tie up the loose ends before the end.
So far, I don't expect it. Looks like a purely American conflict (South/Central vs North). That would be plenty disappointing if it's the last. Yet, with who they just killed off, that makes sense too. Sad outing so far.