The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (DS)

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

[yt]0ghs5assptA[/yt]
This week's edition of Critical Reception examines online reaction to Nintendo's 3DS remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which reviewers describe as "a masterpiece." Ocarina of Time 3D currently earns a score of 94 out of 100 at Metacritic.com.

IGN's Richard George rates Ocarina of Time 3D at 9.5 out of 10. "Improving upon 'perfection' is not exactly an easy job," he admits. "Yet that's the task that falls before Nintendo and Grezzo, the co-developers of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D."

George explains: "The original Ocarina of Time, which debuted nearly 13 years ago, was universally hailed by critics (...) as one of the best games of all time. It was a milestone achievement, redefining how we viewed action games and how developers made them. 'Revolutionary' is by no means an understatement."

The remake's visual upgrade meets expectations. "Graphics will be the core focus of anyone buying Ocarina 3D, as it's the biggest alteration made and Nintendo's biggest showcase for the young 3DS's abilities thus far," George notes.

"Textures, models and animations are all built from the ground up, and have been significantly revised. You'll still recognize everything and everyone, but you'll see them as they were originally meant to be."

The controls have also been revised. "This new version goes a step further, using the touch-capable bottom screen of the 3DS to view maps and assign equipment," George writes. "The system's gyroscope also allows you to view the world around you by physically moving the system."

"If the graphical boost isn't enough - and let's be honest, we're already seeing some games on the 3DS that look better than this - you're not going to have much else to satisfy your interests," George warns. "It's clear this game is being released to find a new generation of gamers that are just discovering Nintendo's franchises. The rest of us will have to determine if it's worth re-visiting a Hyrule we've known for nearly 13 years. Rest assured, though, that doing so will not only let you relive a masterpiece, it will let you experience it in the best way possible."

Wired's Chris Kohler scores Ocarina of Time 3D at 9 out of 10. "For many gamers like me, Ocarina was pretty much the second 3D action adventure they'd ever played, the first having been Super Mario 64," he says. "Since it was still one of the earliest open-ended polygonal games, I didn't have the perspective to describe why Ocarina was so well-designed. All I knew at the time was that it was great; retaining the intricate, vast gameplay of previous Zelda games but doing it all with the new quantum-leap technology of 3D."
Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D

IGN

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D at Nintendo :: Games

The making of 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D'

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - review

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I bought it, first Zelda game since A Link to the Past on the Super Nintendo

I've had a 3DS since release but haven't played it much.

I found that its difficult to play in 3D while laying in bed.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
have they made the game better? i mean aside from the better graphics?

why is it that nintendo releases a handheld system with a miniscule screen and then within a few months to a year they release a better, larger screened version of it?

i refuse to buy another DS....to me it's basically the same ol' shit just polished up to look great.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I bought it, first Zelda game since A Link to the Past on the Super Nintendo

I've had a 3DS since release but haven't played it much.

I found that its difficult to play in 3D while laying in bed.

Ooooh, what's your friend code?

I meant to pick up Zelda, but both Walmart and Gamestop were out. Then I heard about Target buy one get one half off deal. I think I'll be hitting Target tomorrow.

have they made the game better? i mean aside from the better graphics?

why is it that nintendo releases a handheld system with a miniscule screen and then within a few months to a year they release a better, larger screened version of it?

i refuse to buy another DS....to me it's basically the same ol' shit just polished up to look great.
It seems to me they waffle a lot. They had the DS, then the DS lite with a smaller screen, then the DSi with no change to the screen, then the DSXL which had the same size screen as the original.

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
A guy at Gamestop told me Nintendo isn't giving Walmart titles for release day due to stores selling early.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
A guy at Gamestop told me Nintendo isn't giving Walmart titles for release day due to stores selling early.

Wal-Marts are notorious for breaking release day. I think its more incompetence on the part of the local staff at the stores as opposed to company policy, then again once people were aware Wal-Mart was likely to sell DVDs, CDs, games, etc... a few days early, they were more likely to go to Wal-Mart than other stores.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I wish. Fucking Walmart here puts their shit on the shelf at 1201 on release day.

They've had all the other Nintendo stuff at release, just not Zelda.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
I want the following for Xbox 360 Live...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007
Beetle Adventure Racing
James Bond - The World is Not Enough

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
I wish. Fucking Walmart here puts their shit on the shelf at 1201 on release day.

They've had all the other Nintendo stuff at release, just not Zelda.
Other Walmarts have not followed that policy and that's why Zelda was an online exclusive.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I heard the initial production run of this game is quite limited. Looks like its going to be another Super Mario All-Stars - initial production run will be small, which will increase demand and then Nintendo will do another production run.

Probably a dumb move on Nintendo's part because at this time, this game more than any other will sell the 3DS, which I find to be a fantastic piece of technology, just lacking in games at this time, but with Super Mario Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Metorid, Donkey Kong, etc... all coming that'll change.