OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

The Lone Ranger- Depp/Hammer/Verbinski- July 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by LiddyRules, Jun 14, 2012.

1. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lone-ranger-budget-johnny-depp-336526

Originally canceled due to a lavish budget ($250 million), they reduced the budget to $215 million and now it's gone over budget again and behind schedule.

What I want to know is-- what the fuck in this movie could cost as much as the Pirates movies? The Pirates movies had boats and monsters. The Lone Ranger was just a dude wandering the West and fighting human bad guys. Are they going to explode an actual mountain?

Falldog likes this.
  2. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Only thing I can think of is scale - large on-location sets, hundreds of extras on horseback and stuff of that nature.

3. jagsfans

jagsfans Registered User

I think this may be the end of Depp's hot streak, although some would probably say The Rum Diaries followed up by Dark Shadows did that.

4. LiddyRules

Quite possible. It is interesting that 21 Jump Street will probably do better (at least domestically) than Dark Shadows.

Falldog likes this.
  5. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

Liddy can post a review and insights to why it cost so much when he gets around to reading the script.

6. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

Don't forget about the Tourist. 3 of his last 4 movies have been unmitigated disasters. I don't expect John Carter meets Heaven's Gate will end this streak.

7. jagsfans

jagsfans Registered User

The Tourist while being trashed still made damn near 300 mil.

8. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I still want to know why Johnny Depp is playing Tonto.

9. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

When he stops getting the young panties wet, then his streak will end.

10. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Fixed

I don't give a half of a quarter of a shit about the original Lone Ranger. I always hated the word "ranger" so it always seemed like a stupid name for a character. Living in the year 2012 hasn't done anything to make the name seem less archaic. It is definitely a product of it's time and doesn't translate outside of it.

11. Mother Shucker

Mother Shucker I'm over here now.

So not a fan of the Texas Rangers, are ya?

12. BeerBelly

BeerBelly Banned

That Jap Pitcher powers are in his sideburns....they confuse the batters, it's all they can look at!

13. LiddyRules

Now I have something to look forward to this weekend. Not being sarcastic.

Now I have no idea whether to go with international or domestic box office when talking about totals. However, Rum Diary made $23 million worldwide with $13 million in the US.

Dark Shadows has made $75 million American and $200 million world wide.

Falldog likes this.
  14. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

Generally speaking, a movie is considered a flop if it fails to make back it's budget in Domestic Box Office. On a budget of $100 million, it made only $67 million Domestically. That being said, there are certain types of movies that appeal more to the International Crowd. The studio just has to weigh the financial merits of producing such a movie vs the negative perception poor Domestic Box Office and usually poor reviews can have. If the studio and actors are willing to absorb a little bad press, there is money to be made.

You can't compare the combined total against the budget to measure a movie's success, because the distribution and marketing costs are much higher on the International Side. Disney reported losses of over $200 million on John Carter, despite the fact that it has made back it's budget. That disaster cost Rich Ross his job. I assume he's also the same moron that green-lit this $215 million dollar Turd in the Making. It will be interesting to see if the new guy gets ousted in favor of Kevin Feige if/when this movie bombs. Westerns usually don't play well overseas, so this movie will need to be a $250 million domestic blockbuster to warrant that budget. No. Fucking. Way. The high upside on this is the inflation adjusted total for The Mask of Zorro: $165 million.

15. Stormrider666

So you're not a fan of the Army Rangers either?

16. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

What about Walker, Texas Ranger?

17. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I blame the cost of making silver bullets...which I never got..was he fighting lycanthropes?

18. thekidslepthere

Something like that.

19. Hudson

Donator

Oh hell no!..really? Apache Chief, Bravestarr shit..or Jonah Hex, Ghostrider shit?

20. thekidslepthere

I only read part of the script, I've been swamped, but I did shoot it over to Liddy to check out for everyone.

But the monster seems to be...

Wendigo

21. Hudson

Donator

I hope it's done properly......

22. LiddyRules

Thanks thekid. I read it today. Without getting into spoilers, I will say that scope is definitely not the movie's problem. My thoughts will be random.

I'm actually still very confused as to why it would cost $250 million. It doesn't seem much larger scaled than 3:10 to Yuma or any of the modern Westerns. I think there's like maybe three or four action set pieces, and the biggest one occurs at the beginning. Even the Wendigo concept just seems thrown in for no real reason. It's not a bad script, just a kind of boring, talky, non-clever one. I wonder if they've changed Tonto because I can imagine the audience going "Why isn't Johnny Depp Johnny Depping!"

If this is meant to be the Western equivalent to the Pirates movies, they went entirely the wrong way. I've only seen the first Pirates but even aside from them fighting monsters who look like monsters, you had better side characters than Conventional Western Villain 1, Conventional Western Villain 2, and Lady. There's a reason Geoffrey Rush returned, and it wasn't just sex appeal.

Is HBC playing the Indian Chieftess who was only in like one scene that really plays no point in the ultimate conclusion of the movie?

Cowboys and Aliens had more substance.

It's a fair enough skeleton, but if they want it to be at tentpole or at least something more than forgettable, it really needs to be punched up both in wit and in action.

Falldog likes this.
  23. Stormrider666

Helen Bonham Carter as an Indian Chieftess? Fucking ponderous. That whole script sounds like an abortion.

24. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

No on all counts. I don't like the New York Rangers either.

25. Stormrider666

So not even Aragorn, Ranger of the North?