The Lone Ranger- Depp/Hammer/Verbinski- July 3, 2013

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lone-ranger-budget-johnny-depp-336526

Originally canceled due to a lavish budget ($250 million), they reduced the budget to $215 million and now it's gone over budget again and behind schedule.

When Disney briefly shut down the Johnny Depp Western The Lone Ranger in August amid concerns about a budget that had ballooned to $250 million, the principals -- including Depp, director Gore Verbinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer -- agreed to cut action sequences and their own upfront fees to bring the cost down to about $215 million. Well, don't look now, but Lone Ranger is riding headlong into budget trouble again.

Insiders say the movie, which began shooting Feb. 28 in New Mexico, is not only running days or possibly weeks behind its 120-day shooting schedule, it's also over its revised budget. Several sources say the effects-heavy Lone Ranger is now back at its original cost of $250 million, while one source close to the production says it has surpassed that figure.

"It's up to a number they didn't want," says one insider.

Verbinski is again being asked to cut scenes -- he already made such sacrifices as losing a major train sequence in the first round of trims -- and rewrites are underway, according to a source. (A Disney spokesperson says the $250 million budget number is inaccurate.)

Many working with Verbinski are not surprised by cost increases. The Pirates of the Caribbean filmmaker is known for budget-busting on many of his projects. Period trains are a huge element in the movie, say sources, and Verbinski opted for the production to construct its own locomotives from scratch rather than employ existing railroad vehicles. Plus, several sources say the project has experienced severe weather disruptions, including wind and dust storms that damaged the pricey set.

At the same time, the executive turnover at Disney -- studio head Rich Ross resigned in April amid criticism of his lack of film experience -- has left a void during production. Newly installed chief Alan Horn started in the job June 11, so he is just beginning to get familiar with the Lone Ranger situation, which likely will be one of the first challenges he faces in his new role.

The film is not expected to finish shooting until August, which still gives it plenty of time to meet its July 3, 2013, release date. And the buzz generated by some who have seen footage say Verbinski has a chance to do for Westerns what he did for pirate movies -- make the genre popular internationally.

"It's out of control," says one insider of the spending, "but if you were going to bet on anyone, it would be on Gore, Johnny and Jerry."

What I want to know is-- what the fuck in this movie could cost as much as the Pirates movies? The Pirates movies had boats and monsters. The Lone Ranger was just a dude wandering the West and fighting human bad guys. Are they going to explode an actual mountain?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Only thing I can think of is scale - large on-location sets, hundreds of extras on horseback and stuff of that nature.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I think this may be the end of Depp's hot streak, although some would probably say The Rum Diaries followed up by Dark Shadows did that.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think this may be the end of Depp's hot streak, although some would probably say The Rum Diaries followed up by Dark Shadows did that.
Quite possible. It is interesting that 21 Jump Street will probably do better (at least domestically) than Dark Shadows.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Liddy can post a review and insights to why it cost so much when he gets around to reading the script.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Don't forget about the Tourist. 3 of his last 4 movies have been unmitigated disasters. I don't expect John Carter meets Heaven's Gate will end this streak.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Don't forget about the Tourist. 3 of his last 4 movies have been unmitigated disasters. I don't expect John Carter meets Heaven's Gate will end this streak.
The Tourist while being trashed still made damn near 300 mil.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
When he stops getting the young panties wet, then his streak will end.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
When he stops getting the young panties and boxers wet, then his streak will end.
Fixed

I don't give a half of a quarter of a shit about the original Lone Ranger. I always hated the word "ranger" so it always seemed like a stupid name for a character. Living in the year 2012 hasn't done anything to make the name seem less archaic. It is definitely a product of it's time and doesn't translate outside of it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Liddy can post a review and insights to why it cost so much when he gets around to reading the script.
Now I have something to look forward to this weekend. Not being sarcastic.

The Tourist while being trashed still made damn near 300 mil.
Now I have no idea whether to go with international or domestic box office when talking about totals. However, Rum Diary made $23 million worldwide with $13 million in the US.

Dark Shadows has made $75 million American and $200 million world wide.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Now I have no idea whether to go with international or domestic box office when talking about totals.

Dark Shadows has made $75 million American and $200 million world wide.
Generally speaking, a movie is considered a flop if it fails to make back it's budget in Domestic Box Office. On a budget of $100 million, it made only $67 million Domestically. That being said, there are certain types of movies that appeal more to the International Crowd. The studio just has to weigh the financial merits of producing such a movie vs the negative perception poor Domestic Box Office and usually poor reviews can have. If the studio and actors are willing to absorb a little bad press, there is money to be made.

You can't compare the combined total against the budget to measure a movie's success, because the distribution and marketing costs are much higher on the International Side. Disney reported losses of over $200 million on John Carter, despite the fact that it has made back it's budget. That disaster cost Rich Ross his job. I assume he's also the same moron that green-lit this $215 million dollar Turd in the Making. It will be interesting to see if the new guy gets ousted in favor of Kevin Feige if/when this movie bombs. Westerns usually don't play well overseas, so this movie will need to be a $250 million domestic blockbuster to warrant that budget. No. Fucking. Way. The high upside on this is the inflation adjusted total for The Mask of Zorro: $165 million.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Fixed

I don't give a half of a quarter of a shit about the original Lone Ranger. I always hated the word "ranger" so it always seemed like a stupid name for a character. Living in the year 2012 hasn't done anything to make the name seem less archaic. It is definitely a product of it's time and doesn't translate outside of it.
So you're not a fan of the Army Rangers either?

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Fixed

So you're not a fan of the Army Rangers either?
What about Walker, Texas Ranger?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I blame the cost of making silver bullets...which I never got..was he fighting lycanthropes?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Oh hell no!..really? Apache Chief, Bravestarr shit..or Jonah Hex, Ghostrider shit?
I only read part of the script, I've been swamped, but I did shoot it over to Liddy to check out for everyone.

But the monster seems to be...

Wendigo

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Thanks thekid. I read it today. Without getting into spoilers, I will say that scope is definitely not the movie's problem. My thoughts will be random.

I'm actually still very confused as to why it would cost $250 million. It doesn't seem much larger scaled than 3:10 to Yuma or any of the modern Westerns. I think there's like maybe three or four action set pieces, and the biggest one occurs at the beginning. Even the Wendigo concept just seems thrown in for no real reason. It's not a bad script, just a kind of boring, talky, non-clever one. I wonder if they've changed Tonto because I can imagine the audience going "Why isn't Johnny Depp Johnny Depping!"

If this is meant to be the Western equivalent to the Pirates movies, they went entirely the wrong way. I've only seen the first Pirates but even aside from them fighting monsters who look like monsters, you had better side characters than Conventional Western Villain 1, Conventional Western Villain 2, and Lady. There's a reason Geoffrey Rush returned, and it wasn't just sex appeal.

Is HBC playing the Indian Chieftess who was only in like one scene that really plays no point in the ultimate conclusion of the movie?

Cowboys and Aliens had more substance.

It's a fair enough skeleton, but if they want it to be at tentpole or at least something more than forgettable, it really needs to be punched up both in wit and in action.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Thanks thekid. I read it today. Without getting into spoilers, I will say that scope is definitely not the movie's problem. My thoughts will be random.

I'm actually still very confused as to why it would cost $250 million. It doesn't seem much larger scaled than 3:10 to Yuma or any of the modern Westerns. I think there's like maybe three or four action set pieces, and the biggest one occurs at the beginning. Even the Wendigo concept just seems thrown in for no real reason. It's not a bad script, just a kind of boring, talky, non-clever one. I wonder if they've changed Tonto because I can imagine the audience going "Why isn't Johnny Depp Johnny Depping!"

If this is meant to be the Western equivalent to the Pirates movies, they went entirely the wrong way. I've only seen the first Pirates but even aside from them fighting monsters who look like monsters, you had better side characters than Conventional Western Villain 1, Conventional Western Villain 2, and Lady. There's a reason Geoffrey Rush returned, and it wasn't just sex appeal.

Is HBC playing the Indian Chieftess who was only in like one scene that really plays no point in the ultimate conclusion of the movie?

Cowboys and Aliens had more substance.

It's a fair enough skeleton, but if they want it to be at tentpole or at least something more than forgettable, it really needs to be punched up both in wit and in action.
Helen Bonham Carter as an Indian Chieftess? Fucking ponderous. That whole script sounds like an abortion.