TV The Mandalorian: A Star Wars TV Series - Disney Streaming

LiddyRules

She Is Not My BFF. She Is Not.
The latest trailer has 26,000 likes and 908 dislikes. So you're not the only one. But you're certainly in a very small minority. There's nothing wrong with being in the minority and grousing that a movie is more fan service than substance. You and I have both lived that with Rogue One and I'm sitting on Pig Island there on Avengers Endgame. Just because you're in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. In the case of Rogue One, it means most people are imbeciles. In the case of Endgame, it means most people were going to be satisfied no matter what Marvel did, as long as Cap lifted Mjolnir.

But look at Rogue One and Avengers Endgame's box office, and...come on. This probably wasn't a hill worth climbing, let alone dying on. Like I said, I am jazzed about the movie because they're embracing the world and the heritage. Better to dive all in than give your movie an identity crisis.

Speaking of (again) I will be curious to see your take on Joker's fan service, especially now that you know Phoenix was against it. Link, if you didn't see it:

https://movieweb.com/joker-movie-no-thomas-wayne-joaquin-phoenix/
But there's also a difference between Doctor Sleep and Rogue One/Avengers End Game, which were fun action adventure movies built to please the audience with call backs and jokes. I put The Shining closer to Blade Runner. I don't think the fans of Blade Runner wanted to hear someone do tears in the rain any more than fans of The Shining want to see the typewriter again.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
But there's also a difference between Doctor Sleep and Rogue One/Avengers End Game, which were fun action adventure movies built to please the audience with call backs and jokes. I put The Shining closer to Blade Runner.
But...

Wait....

You hated Blade Runner 2049?!?!?!?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
But there's also a difference between Doctor Sleep and Rogue One/Avengers End Game, which were fun action adventure movies built to please the audience with call backs and jokes. I put The Shining closer to Blade Runner. I don't think the fans of Blade Runner wanted to hear someone do tears in the rain any more than fans of The Shining want to see the typewriter again.
Just went back and read your BR49 comments, and I see that you were critical of them tying it to the original via the inclusion of Deckard. So I guess that's sort of consistent in a way.

LiddyRules

Just went back and read your BR49 comments, and I see that you were critical of them tying it to the original via the inclusion of Deckard. So I guess that's sort of consistent in a way.
I still feel the same way. I think the movie worked better before adding Deckard into it. I think I even said something like "they could imply that the baby is Deckard's but it wasn't necessary to bring Ford into it." To be fair, I thought they used him well, but it still felt forced and unnecessary to me.

But the movie stood alone without Deckard whereas at least the trailer for Doctor Sleep makes it seem like Overlook Overlook Everything's The Overlook!

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I'm going to try to explain it in a way that makes no sense to anyone but me. The Continuing Adventures of Danny Torrance is not necessarily the same thing as a sequel to The Shining. And this is where you say "if you're going to make a movie about a telepathic dude struggling with the trauma connected to his telepathic abilities, why make it Danny Torrance and not Manny Lawrence?" And my response is, "Why not? I'm fine with it."

But for something like Doctor Sleep, I think there is a middle ground you can walk. You can reference The Overlook, you can discuss what happened, you can even use the music cues, but you don't need to return to the Overlook Hotel. You don't need "come play with us Danny." I get money, marketing, etc. so it's not like I'm blind to the why. However, I am less interested in Doctor Sleep after seeing the newest trailer (have you seen it yet?) and how desperately they're Ready Player One-ing this crap. And I'm probably not the only one more turned off by the overuse of Kubrick cues.
Did you read the book though? the book is "Oh shit, Overlook Overlook, Danny's fighting with sobriety, Shining Power, Overlook Overlook." You can't get away with that.

So you get into a discussion about what exactly you're making here. The Shining was a book and was also a movie, and both of the leads of those two artistic projects, King and Kubrick, would just as soon that the other didn't exist. Well, King got to write a sequel to HIS oeuvre and it's now being turned into a movie. The Kubrick one almost shouldn't matter, except that King's book is being put into the same format that Kubrick used for his own work - the movie format.

So this isn't a sequel to a movie, it's a movie based on the book sequel to the book that was at one point fodder for Kubrick to be all Kubrickian.

LiddyRules

Did you read the book though? the book is "Oh shit, Overlook Overlook, Danny's fighting with sobriety, Shining Power, Overlook Overlook." You can't get away with that.

So you get into a discussion about what exactly you're making here. The Shining was a book and was also a movie, and both of the leads of those two artistic projects, King and Kubrick, would just as soon that the other didn't exist. Well, King got to write a sequel to HIS oeuvre and it's now being turned into a movie. The Kubrick one almost shouldn't matter, except that King's book is being put into the same format that Kubrick used for his own work - the movie format.

So this isn't a sequel to a movie, it's a movie based on the book sequel to the book that was at one point fodder for Kubrick to be all Kubrickian.
No I didn't read the damn book about the baby who could predict 9/11.

But I did just finish Salem's Lot, which I really enjoyed. I forgot how good King could be and how much he draws you in.

I didn't even think about how Doctor Sleep the book would be the sequel to the book/Weberseries rather than the Kubrick film.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
No I didn't read the damn book about the baby who could predict 9/11.

But I did just finish Salem's Lot, which I really enjoyed. I forgot how good King could be and how much he draws you in.

I didn't even think about how Doctor Sleep would be the sequel to the book/Weberseries rather than the Kubrick film.
His new one is pretty cool so far- The Institute. He's fun to read/listen to.

LiddyRules

His new one is pretty cool so far- The Institute. He's fun to read/listen to.
I think I'm going to go through the King oeuvre. I did Carrie and Salem's Lot recently. I believe Shining is actually next on the list.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I think I'm going to go through the King oeuvre. I did Carrie and Salem's Lot recently. I believe Shining is actually next on the list.
I've been doing a lot of that via audiobook. Strangely, "It" has been the hardest for me to get into. I read it as a kid but as an adult, I'm having a hard time staying engrossed in it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I've been doing a lot of that via audiobook. Strangely, "It" has been the hardest for me to get into. I read it as a kid but as an adult, I'm having a hard time staying engrossed in it.
I think audiobook would be too slow for It. I wouldn't even attempt The Stand in audiobook form.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
A bigger dork than me discusses the identity of the Mandalorian.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a Marvel or Star Wars project that you weren't pre-disposed to think "will stink"?
Hmmm. I was hopeful before Phantom Menace. The rest I went in expecting bad and mostly got exactly that. Revenge of the Sith wasn't bad IMO. Not great, but not bad.

Marvel wise? I guess Iron Man 1. I was just happy to see what looked like a respectful depiction of Iron Man.

After that, I would need to see a list of what movies came out in order to really judge. I remember hearing Neon say on one his podcasts that he doesn't believe guys like me should say, "these movies aren't meant for me anymore", but I do believe that's the case.