The Mist?

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Just wondering what opinions on this were. I'm thinking about checking it out but I haven't decided yet.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
I never heard of the book. Was it a short story from one of his collections? How is it different then The Fog? Also, how good could it be if its a scary movie coming out after Halloween?

I never heard of the book. Was it a short story from one of his collections? How is it different then The Fog? Also, how good could it be if its a scary movie coming out after Halloween?
I was thinking about this other day. Scary movies can and should be released from the middle of October to the day of Thanksgiving. This way we could darken the spirits of those who want to jump start the holiday season, after Halloween. As for the movie itself, I think they ruined it by showing what is in the mist in the first commerical I saw.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
I was thinking about this other day. Scary movies can and should be released from the middle of October to the day of Thanksgiving. This way we could darken the spirits of those who want to jump start the holiday season, after Halloween. As for the movie itself, I think they ruined it by showing what is in the mist in the first commerical I saw.
I agree with you for the most part, but primarily I agree with your thoughts about the best time for "scary movies" to be released, totally.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
FWIW... it's a pretty good short story by King(same as 1408). It's made by the same guy who translated prior King books ("Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile").

The plot differs from the Fog in that there's no greater reason for the fog setting in. There's no backstory about angry ghosts seeking revenge. Nope. A dimensional rift has opened and the equivilant to Shogoth and Cthulhu type creatures begin tearing into a town.

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
The original short story was quite good around 250 pages in a King collection called Skeleton Crew or Night Shift I believe. King has a much better record on the big screen than the small one. The Director so far has been good with King's film adaptations and the Punisher is in it.

The original short story was quite good around 250 pages in a King collection called Skeleton Crew or Night Shift I believe. King has a much better record on the big screen than the small one. The Director so far has been good with King's film adaptations and the Punisher is in it.
Yes, it is a very good story on paper. From the previews though it looks like it may not carry over too well. The fog in the parking lot scenes looks too fake and the acting in some of those scenes looks fake as well. The acting however could be intentional to try and make it look as real as possible.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
The story was creepy fun...hope the movie is close......and the story was first in Dark Forces and re-edited and put into Skeleton Crew

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
watch "the fog" first from the 70's then vomit and go see something good.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
The Mist is probably my favorite King short story, and I actually think this movie looks great....a little hokey, yeah, but they'd better not fuck with the ending.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Big fan of King but I don't remember this story.

The part where they're all holed up in the supermarket (or whatever it is) reminds me of "Maximum Overdrive", which equals very really not good and bad.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
I liked the short story when I read it and initially I had reservations of a film adaptation, but it may just be pretty good considering that Darabont is directing.

PCLoadLetter

Crinkle Crinkle!
This is one of the Stephen King short stories that I've been praying they'd make into a good film... Ever since I was a relatively wee fella in the early-80's. I hope they don't Eff it up.

I'll have to drag my girl into the theater in the next coupla days to see this one...

I like the short story but chances are it's a bomb. It having an R rating does give me hope though. Nothing worse than a PG rated horror movie.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
I read a favorable review in Entertainment Weekly, they gave it a B+. The highlight of the review: they called the film "shockingly pessimistic", which to me is a good sign for a horror flick.

I never read The Mist, but the flick looks like solid B-movie fun.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
I read a favorable review in Entertainment Weekly, they gave it a B+. The highlight of the review: they called the film "shockingly pessimistic", which to me is a good sign for a horror flick.

I never read The Mist, but the flick looks like solid B-movie fun.
Being a lover of King's work, (I really would like to see this movie), and not wanting to bash him by this statement, but I'm sure EW won't bash a movie based on a short story he wrote, considering he writes for the magazine. But, I'm sure this movie will still be great.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Saw it over the weekend.

Scared the b'jesus outta me. Disturbing ending...
I was reading the reviews on Rotten.com and everyone is talking about the ending; "disturbing", "shocking", and the like. Good, I hope it's dark and evil and the ending fucks with you. Not every movie has to have a touchy-feely happy ending.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
It's My Birthday!
Saw it on Friday with the girl. It was a last minute decision. All I can say is that it was absolutely brilliant and it was spent 90% in a supermarket. It was probably my favorite Stephen King film next to The Stand. My gf laughed at me because I jumped and yes, the ending is fucked up.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
x2

It's not necessarily King's fault but his work doesn’t always translate well to film.
I had to watch the Shining twice to understand it.

Then again, I have a hard time following old movies for some reason.

Still, I did like it as soon as I understood it.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Big fan of King but I don't remember this story.

The part where they're all holed up in the supermarket (or whatever it is) reminds me of "Maximum Overdrive", which equals very really not good and bad.
I WAS WRONG...

Movie was great!

PCLoadLetter

Crinkle Crinkle!
I read a favorable review in Entertainment Weekly, they gave it a B+.
And if you go to Rottentomatoes, you'll see that it's got a 69% fresh rating.

I did go see it on monday and I was pretty happy with it. Well, I don't know if "happy" is the right way to describe it, but it was about as good as hoped for. Let's just say that the ending left me bewildered as it was WAY different from the original story, though if you're like me and you read the story 20yrs ago, you sit there thinking "hhhhrrrmmmm.... did the book end that way and I simply forgot??"

Any movie ending that angers this many audience members is worth seeing, and this movie has absolutely ENRAGED people.

Highly recommended.