The Mole Season 5 (ABC) is back...

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
The Mole returning to ABC

My all-time favorite reality show is coming back!

I loved the first two seasons of "The Mole" way back in 2001. I've been wanting it to come back ever since. It really was the smartest reality show on TV. It made you think and pay attention. Which is probably why it got cancelled in the first place. But this time, they say they're going to make it more interactive without dumbing it down. So hopefully it'll be good!

Katherine, the mole from the first season, remains to this day one of my biggest TV loves. I instantly fell in love with that mousey look of hers...

Info:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_mole_3/2008_Jan_08_return_announcement

The Mole will return to ABC this summer with a “simplified” format

More than five and a half years after a third season was last discussed, ABC is resurrecting The Mole—but without celebrity contestants or either of its first two hosts, Anderson Cooper and Ahmad Rashad. The new series will air this summer and will feature a “simplified” format, according to its producer.

“Casting and pre-production have begun on the show, which will likely start shooting later this spring,” Variety reports. No casting notices have yet been posted on ABC’s site or elsewhere, but the show will be produced by Stone & Co. Entertainment, which is led by one half of the producing pair (Stone Stanley) that produced the earlier versions.

The exact changes that will be made to the format are unclear, but executive producer Scott Stone said, “We simplified it to where the people at home can play along. And the quiz will be much shorter than in the past.” (During its first two seasons, the series was criticized—mostly by critics with small, useless brains—for being complicated and difficult to follow. Considering Survivor’s strategic complexity and popularity, that argument made little sense.)

As to the host, Scott Stone said, “We’re looking for someone in the Anderson mode, a little mysterious but full of comedy. It could be a breakout role for someone.” Or perhaps Anderson could be persuaded to dump his CNN gig and return to the place where he belongs.

The return now is unrelated to the writers’ strike, according to ABC executive John Saade. “This is a show we honestly love and people ask us about all the time. We were looking to bring the show back even when the writers were working,” he said. The delay, Variety notes, had to do with the rights to the format, which “had reverted back to Belgium company TTTI, which owns the format. Stone, who’s repped by WMA, finally managed to close a new deal to license the show two months ago.” Scott Stone says, “If anyone asks me what my favorite show has been, I’ve answered ‘The Mole.’ … And it perennially ends up on lists of people’s favorite reality shows. That kept the fires burning inside me.”
http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_mole_3/2008_Jan_21_casting

Mole casting begins; production may begin in March

Casting for The Mole 3 has begun, with open calls and interviews scheduled for the beginning of February, and the series may start production as early as March.

The application asks potential players if they are available “for up to approximately six to eight consecutive weeks, beginning sometime in March of 2008,” but follows that with a parenthetical note that “all dates subject to change.” (ABC’s announcement that the series would return mentioned a summer debut.)

Producers are offering three ways to be cast: Four-minute mailed-in videos, due Feb. 8 (they’re only accepting DVDs and mini-DVs; the era of the VHS casting tape seems to be over); open calls; and interviews by appointment. The open calls will be held Feb. 2 in Nashville, Chicago, and New York, and Feb. 10 in Los Angeles, Austin, and Philadelphia. People in those six cities can also set up individual interviews that are separate from the open casting calls.

The application [PDF] itself asks interesting questions, such as, “Have you ever seen The Mole or Celebrity Mole TV series?”, “Would you describe yourself as a fan of the show?” and “Do you own ‘The Mole’ DVDs?” It also wants to know if you’d rather be the actual mole or not, and asks about things such as mental illness, nude photographs, and whether or not you’ve “ever created a website or posted any materials on a website.” In other words, don’t let us be surprised or embarrassed by you once you’ve been cast.
http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117978641&categoryid=14

ABC bringing back 'The Mole'
Reality show scheduled for summer trek
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER, JOSEF ADALIAN
"The Mole" has come out of hiding.

ABC has given a 10-episode order to Stone & Co. Entertainment ("Tim Gunn's Guide to Style") to revive the reality competish, which hasn't aired in four years.

Casting and pre-production have begun on the show, which will likely start shooting later this spring. ABC is looking to run "The Mole" this summer.

"This is a show we honestly love and people ask us about all the time," said ABC Entertainment alternative series senior VP John Saade, who added that plans were afoot to dig out "The Mole" even before the writers' strike.

"We were looking to bring the show back even when the writers were working," he said.

The first two editions of "The Mole," which aired in 2001 and 2002, earned ABC's top marks among adult 18-34 auds in both of those years. ABC then ran two seasons of "Celebrity Mole," in midseason 2003 and 2004.

Stone Stanley Prods., which produced all four "Mole" segs, dissolved in 2004. But principal Scott Stone said he kept a fire burning for the show, and has been looking to revive it under his new shingle for years.

"It was just about getting the timing right," Stone said.

The hiccup: Rights to "The Mole" had reverted back to Belgium company TTTI, which owns the format. Stone, who's repped by WMA, finally managed to close a new deal to license the show two months ago.

"If anyone asks me what my favorite show has been, I've answered 'The Mole,'" Stone said. "Not surprisingly, this has been a passion of mine since the option lapsed three or four years ago. In my staff meeting every week, people would say, 'Don't even bring it up.' I kept throwing it out that it was eventually going to be the right time. And it perennially ends up on lists of people's favorite reality shows. That kept the fires burning inside me."

The revived "Mole" will revert back to the original format, sans celebs.

Show features contestants traveling across a foreign country completing tasks and solving puzzles in order to add money to the winner's pot. At the same time, they're trying to figure out which of their competitors is actually "The Mole" -- a player planted to sabotage the game and limit the money won.

At the end of each episode, players take a quiz; lowest-score sends someone packing. Person who's left standing alongside the Mole wins the money pot -- which could be as much as $1 million, but ultimately came to $510,000 in season one and $636,000 in season two.

Stone said the new version has been simplified, but said he hasn't "dumbed it down."

"We simplified it to where the people at home can play along," he said. "And the quiz will be much shorter than in the past."

Anderson Cooper, who hosted the first two editions, remains at CNN and isn't available to host; Ahmad Rashad, who hosted the celeb editions, hasn't been asked to return. Stone said he's scouting for a host in Cooper's vein.

"We're looking for someone in the Anderson mode, a little mysterious but full of comedy," he said. "It could be a breakout role for someone."

"Celebrity Mole" won an Emmy in 2004 for Outstanding Achievement in Enhanced Television.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Good, I really loved this show. Glad they are bringing this back without C list celebs. I wonder if they can get that fruit Anderson Cooper to come back and host.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Nice! This show was pretty good. I never got into the second season since they kind of scummed it by putting into hiatus after two or three episodes before burning them off months later.

Jun 24, 2005
Left of Toronto,Canada
My sisters friend is an insurance adjuster and said season two got stopped televising halfway through cause the masters were wrecked and since it is a contest. they could not re do it.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Actually, season two aired it's first three episodes a few weeks after 9/11. The ratings were crap. So that's why they pulled it.

It came back as a midseason replacement, but all the episodes had already been done. No masters destroyed or anything like that.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
By far The Mole was my favorite Reality Show of all time. Now with that being said I hope it is not a dissapointment when it finally returns.

Six-Pack

Feb 25, 2004
Wow, they really are desperate for material

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
Oct 14, 2004
the best part of this show was corbin bernsen and stephen baldwin. ill still watch.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Wow, they really are desperate for material
I don't think it's so much desperation as just giving it another chance.

There's got to be some reason why it's ridiculously popular overseas...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
During Lost tonight there were 3 quick flashes of "The Mole" on the screen as lost returned from the first 3 commercial breaks...I saw it and was like "WHOA!" the mole? So i went online to look it up..Sure enough they were casting for it nation wide in early Feb 08, and the casting ended Feb 20. THe waiver stated that you had to be available from the end of march for 8 weeks and a call back for the finale. You needed a valid passport and the ability to travel to foreign countries.
I loved this show when it was on, and it pulled huge ratings for ABC when it was on before. I can't find why the axed it, but it will be back this summer..I hope it is in hd, but it probably will not be...

Ironically Anderson Cooper was the first host of The Mole, and he just had a cancerous mole removed

Feb 28, 2008
sweet...loved the original mole...any word on the host? Loved Anderson Cooper (no homo) but Ahmad Rashad sucked a fat cock

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I loved this show when it aired. I got into it when I got a really nasty flu and was in bed for 8 or 9 days. All I could do was watch TV and try not to puke as a withered away like an AIDS patient and "The Mole" was on. I got really into it after the 2 episodes I saw while sick and kept watching. The one part I remember liking a lot was near the end of the 1st season when they had one person blindfolded against a wooden door or fence and told her that one of the other contestants was going to throw axes but the guy really just walked up and slammed the axes into the wall inches from her head and she passed out because of the fear.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I loved this show when it aired. I got into it when I got a really nasty flu and was in bed for 8 or 9 days. All I could do was watch TV and try not to puke as a withered away like an AIDS patient and "The Mole" was on. I got really into it after the 2 episodes I saw while sick and kept watching. The one part I remember liking a lot was near the end of the 1st season when they had one person blindfolded against a wooden door or fence and told her that one of the other contestants was going to throw axes but the guy really just walked up and slammed the axes into the wall inches from her head and she passed out because of the fear.
Yeah that was Kathryn. I fucking loved her. I still want to meet her and... take her out for a nice steak dinner.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I still remember how shocked i was when i found out she was the mole...The thing i didn't like was that they would overemphesize her sabotaging a task...When it would not really be anything significant...THere was only like 1 time that she really did anything obvious. And then they had back to back supermodel moles which really messed things up.

M

MovieMiguel

ABC digs up 'Mole' host

The identity of "The Mole" is still a secret, but the name of the show's new host can be revealed: CLICK HERE FOR MORE

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Ugh. They could have gotten someone better.