Movie The Mummy reboot - 6/9/17

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
The studio is entrusting the monster movie to one of the architects of the “Amazing Spider-Man” franchise

“The Mummy” producer Alex Kurtzman is now nearing a deal to direct the classic monster movie for Universal, TheWrap has learned.

Kurtzman has been working with Chris Morgan to launch the Universal Monster Movie Universe. “The Mummy” is going to be the first film in that ambitious plan, and Universal will release the movie on May 22, 2016.

More to come…

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I hope they keep the 1930's time period like those other Mummy movies. I know the Mummy sequels were shit, but that first one was a fun popcorn movie.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I hope they keep the 1930's time period like those other Mummy movies. I know the Mummy sequels were shit, but that first one was a fun popcorn movie.
Yeah, I liked the first one. The third one, actually, was alright as well.

is going to be the first film in that ambitious plan
I wonder what that means. Multiple mummy movies or an Avengers style monster movie franchise.
They should do several monster films, converging on a remake of The Monster Squad.

Wolfman has nards.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Yeah, I liked the first one. The third one, actually, was alright as well.

I wonder what that means. Multiple mummy movies or an Avengers style monster movie franchise.
They should do several monster films, converging on a remake of The Monster Squad.

Wolfman has nards.
Fuckkkkkkk yeah cock suckaaaa. Double monsters

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
It will be interesting with modern special effects, but a lot of newer movies have shitty stories.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
As I see it, you need to have an Indiana Jones type character that connects all these movies. Don't do Van Helsing, that was a bomb and will just bring up bad memories.

I think there can even be good guys and bad guys that connect each of these different monsters in the various movies.

Anyone else see another way to do this?

(I actually have one idea of a real guy from that time period who was a British Indiana Jones type, who then moved to America after World War 2 and was a professor when not going on adventures, hopefully these dummies don't figure that out, I want to use that guy for an idea down the road)

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
As I see it, you need to have an Indiana Jones type character that connects all these movies. Don't do Van Helsing, that was a bomb and will just bring up bad memories.

I think there can even be good guys and bad guys that connect each of these different monsters in the various movies.

(I actually have one idea of a real guy from that time period who was a British Indiana Jones type, who then moved to America after World War 2 and was a professor when not going on adventures, hopefully these dummies don't figure that out, I want to use that guy for an idea down the road)
Simon Holmes, Sherlocks paranormal investigator grandson.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It will be interesting with modern special effects, but a lot of newer movies have shitty stories.
Why? Wasn't the Frasier Mummy movies pretty much all CGI?

Make it more spooky and less actiony?

Or for a main character- how about Dr. Frankenstein. He's on the Mummy expedition, it kindles his interest in life after death; he begins researching the occult/supernatural and finds out about the mystery man in Transylvania; maybe he meets the Wolfman there too since both Drac and Wolfie are connected by gypsies; and then we get #3 where all his research leads him to create Frankenstein's monster. This continues and he meets a whole gaggle of silly scientists like Jeckyll, Invisibleman, and whoever else I can't think of.

Though this does have me wondering what public domain character would you want to see made cool again? Because Sherlock Holmes is cool again. Vampires are cool, but Dracula isn't cool. That sort of thinking.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004

Or for a main character- how about Dr. Frankenstein. He's on the Mummy expedition, it kindles his interest in life after death; he begins researching the occult/supernatural and finds out about the mystery man in Transylvania; maybe he meets the Wolfman there too since both Drac and Wolfie are connected by gypsies; and then we get #3 where all his research leads him to create Frankenstein's monster. This continues and he meets a whole gaggle of silly scientists like Jeckyll, Invisibleman, and whoever else I can't think of.

Though this does have me wondering what public domain character would you want to see made cool again? Because Sherlock Holmes is cool again. Vampires are cool, but Dracula isn't cool. That sort of thinking.
I think it depends how you present Dracula, if he's the Dracula we've seen a million times before, yeah he's pretty lame, but if he was this awesome Vlad The Impaler type who runs a small eastern European country and has an army, then we find out he has these extra powers I think it can be kind of cool.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Swamp thing. He hasn't had the cool treatment in a long time.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
and the update i forgot to post from that article.

The new “Mummy” movie will be set in present day and will be more of a four-quadrant, family-friendly action-adventure tentpole than the dark scarefest that previous director Andy Muschetti envisioned after Len Wiseman left the project.

Kurtzman and his former writing partner Roberto Orci worked on the screenplay along with Jon Spaihts. Sean Daniel is producing the movie with Kurtzman and Morgan, while Bobby Cohen will executive produce.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Exactly. I think there's two things you need - a regular guy and more toned down versions of these things. What makes those movies appealing is the feeling that they are somewhat grounded. The pitch of this should be "Indiana Jones meets the Universal monsters." That's obviously what they were going for in the Frasier Mummy, and for the most part it worked, although it had a little too much spectacle and a little too much camp and slapstick. But all in all it was pretty similar to Last Crusade. If they could make it a little more grim, dingy, and "realistic" like the first two Indy movies I think that's the way to go. Don't wow us with effects, scare us a little by making us feel like this shit could happen.

The new “Mummy” movie will be set in present day and will be more of a four-quadrant, family-friendly action-adventure tentpole than the dark scarefest that previous director Andy Muschetti envisioned after Len Wiseman left the project.
Well - fuck me, I guess.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
If it's just campy BS like the Frasier movies then I've not interested in it either. It should be a regular old school horror movie, like the old time mummy movies in a modern style. It could be a period piece, like back in the 20's-30's during the archeological boom when most of the famous tombs were discovered.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The Mummy and Universal Monster Movie Mash-Up Delayed
Share.
A delay on this particular graveyard smash.
By Nathan LawrenceThe Mummy reboot has been delayed from June 24, 2016 to March 24, 2017 (in North America).

A press release from Universal Pictures also updated the release date for 'Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film' from April 21, 2017 to March 30, 2018 (again, in North America).

Given the untitled monsters film is an Avengers-style team-up, which appears to be reliant on a certain number of preceding films, the impact of The Mummy movie's delay appears to have unsurprisingly shifted the monster mash-up.

The monsters that could be potentially included in the untitled 2018 film include Frankenstein's Monster, the Invisible Man, the Wolfman, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, as well as the Mummy and Dracula. Luke Evans played Dracula in Dracula Untold, which was the first film in the standalone monster titles that are set to lead up to the untitled monster ensemble.

The Mummy reboot is written by Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) and is being helmed by writer-turned-director Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek Into Darkness).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...sh-up-delayed?abthid=5539edb7ef0b7ddf3d00003a

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Fuck this. I want The Monster Squad reboot.
Has one of my favorite ADR lines in history "How does that dog get up here?"

This has to be the most ill-conceived ICU, (f)right?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The Victor Frankenstein movie with Professor X as Vic and Harry Potter as Igor has nothing to do with this franchise, right?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The Victor Frankenstein movie with Professor X as Vic and Harry Potter as Igor has nothing to do with this franchise, right?
Totes Dif