The Newsroom - Aaron Sorkin HBO series

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
[video=youtube;wC8ovJYAU3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wC8ovJYAU3U[/video]

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Wonder how much of the Sorkin 'character makes statment, second character repeats statement as question, first character repeats statement confirming' there'll be.

(having said that I did like Sports Night)

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It's difficult to trust him after Studio 60. I still can't get past how its final four episodes involved Seth Myers and Lorne Michaels conducting hostage negotiations with Al Queda.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Gee, ya think this will have a lot of attacks on Fox News?

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Loved Sportsnight but Jane Fonda might be the deal-breaker for me in this show.. can't fucking stand that woman.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
It's difficult to trust him after Studio 60. I still can't get past how its final four episodes involved Seth Myers and Lorne Michaels conducting hostage negotiations with Al Queda.
A Few Good Men, Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Sports Night and the best years of The West Wing make it easy for me to overlook Studio 60. Plus on HBO he get's to say fuck and most of those movies have had great uses of Fuck.

[YT]sQ_4m2ocxhI[/YT]

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Just hearing the general premise alone and you suspect Hollywood would spin it as sounding board for liberal issues, another West Wing. Jane Fonda being onboard pretty much confirms it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
A Few Good Men, Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, Sports Night and the best years of The West Wing make it easy for me to overlook Studio 60. Plus on HBO he get's to say fuck and most of those movies have had great uses of Fuck.
I was exaggerating, of course. I just like bringing up how insane those final few episodes were. Also the Who's On First storyline.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I was exaggerating, of course. I just like bringing up how insane those final few episodes were. Also the Who's On First storyline.
Oh believe me I understand how awful Studio 60 was from top to bottom. Nothing redeemable about the entire run. I'm amazed it got picked up past the 13 ep original order.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Watching now on the DVR. Ehhh so far. I know Sorkin is an amazing writer, but every fucking character sounds the same while talking at the same machine gun pace. It's like the way Diablo Cody made every person in Juno sound exactly the same.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
If you think Keith Olbermann is a mild mannered fellow you'll love it.

It's amazing within 5 minutes of the BP oil spill they have the entire situation figured out all because the new producer's old college roommate is an exec at BP and his older sister just happens to be a VP at Halliburton, talk about dumb luck.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I tried it, but it moved at an odd pace for my taste. Everyone was talking super fast over each other and it was too busy for a premiere episode. I'll stick with it for a few more.

And the opening credits took up about 25% of the show.

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
I didn't like it, but I don't really like any pilot.
The storyline with the old Producer guy not caring about the story, and the young new kid really running after it about made me sick.

Jeff Daniels is great in the role, and I love Emily Mortimer (like, really), so I'll check out a couple more.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I tried it, but it moved at an odd pace for my taste. Everyone was talking super fast over each other and it was too busy for a premiere episode. I'll stick with it for a few more.

And the opening credits took up about 25% of the show.
No shit. those were the longest credits ever, but it's gonna take a few episodes for something like this to click.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn
The casting really blows this for me. Olivia Munn is not a professional actress, and more than that is a bad person and no one should have anything to do with her. That Dev Patel kid from Slumdog Millionaire also doesn't belong on this show. It's stupid stunt casting, like when Michael K. Williams is on Community.

And the Emily Mortimer role is just begging for some hot actress, not that Limey, mousey bore. Why do we need to bring in Limey bags to play our 'smart' roles? It could've been a great role for a Julia Louis Dreyfuss type, not her of course, but someone her age, her hotness, but with more dramatic than comedic background.

Anyone who doesn't like this show is just looking for reasons not to like something, it's incredibly well made and entertaining. HBO fucking rules.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Loved the first 10 minutes, the rest was ok. I will give this show time though as I have learned something about giving shows time. If I had checked out of Sparticus to early it would have been a waste. Besides Jeff Daniels is great so far

Boratfan

Oct 4, 2004
Port Jeff Station NY
Jeff Daniels might be the most underrated actor in Hollywood. IMO he stole Dumb and Dumber. The writing is very good but like others have stated.. its at a machine gun pace which can get old quickly. I'll give a few more shots.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I liked it but the way some of the jokes were laid out felt very sitcomy.Also use Jeff Daniels supposed to be a Republican?