The Official 1997 AL East Champion Baltimore Orioles Thread (2008 Edition)

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Just about 6 1/2 days until pitchers and catchers report.

So, will this be the 11th straight losing season? Probably.

They pretty much get rid of Bedard because they couldn't afford 8 mil/yr, yet keep the fucking loser Cabrera. Keep focusing on getting hitters that can't hit worth a shit, that'll work one of these days... Who needs decent pitching? Not the O's.

On a positive note, they are redoing the scoreboard/jumbotron at Camden Yards. :icon_roll

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD

smurray06

Aug 1, 2006
Maryland
i'm hoping they could be good in a few years, if they can get some pitching. They made a hell of a deal for Tejada.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
If the regular season can go as decent as spring training has so far, there is a good shot the O's will get 3rd place in the east. That will be considered a victory in my book.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
troy patton rawks! oh wait, he's out for the year...and Albers is totally overrated! just like Tejada.....

what a st00pid trade the astros made

sd187

yousabird
Mar 13, 2005
best thread title ever. They should've never have fired davey johnson.

Big Fat Steve

I always wanted to fuck the Pink Power Ranger
Mar 5, 2005
FOB Ghazni, Afghanistan
Rough first day. I was hoping to see something out of Adam Jones. Matt Albers was impressive in relief. The sad thing is that Tampa is the team of the future if they can keep a good bit of their talent.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
For some reason they can't get the starting pitching straight. The hitting and bullpen are decent enough where a solid starting group would get the team over .500.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Blast from the past:

[media]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/alclark/music/Hyper%20Hanna%20-%20A%20World%20of%20Orioles%20Baseball.mp3[/media]

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
I just have to give you kudos on the 11th anniversary thread title...
Thanks, I ripped it partly off of the "2006 Super Bowl Champ Steelers" thread. It really sucks rooting for a losing team year after year, so this fit my mood when I made the thread.

This is the first game I've gotten to watch this year...I know it's the Devil Rays, but already the stadium is fucking empty...wow.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
First in the east, I think that the standings will be flipped around come September though.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Good thing they play a 4 game series with Royals before Boston...at least they'll get over .500 before dropping that one.

Big Fat Steve

Mar 5, 2005
FOB Ghazni, Afghanistan
So much for my Mid May prediction. Beat the Yanks 12-2! I'll now move the downfall to early July or so. Either way, I love the season so far, but what do we do with all of our vets if we are in contention during the trade deadline.

Again, wishful thinking.:icon_redf:icon_lol::icon_surp:p:haha7:

Jan 3, 2006
In Fleas Mom's Box
I must say, I don't care who wins the East, just as long as those New York fucks are looking UP at everyone else in the standings!

Big Fat Steve

Mar 5, 2005
FOB Ghazni, Afghanistan
I must say, I don't care who wins the East, just as long as those New York fucks are looking UP at everyone else in the standings!
That may not last last for long. The Sox and Rays might be first and second, but we have seen this Evil Empire early season slump before, and then by September, these 200 million dollar a year cocksuckers wind up pulling through. Don't forget that in baseball, three out of four big money teams wind up making the playoffs in each league.......most years.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I have a great stat for you (posted it in the sox thread as well...) in todays sox orioles game, the O's Best hitter is Brian Roberts @ .261...EVERY starter for the Redsox today had a higher average than that except crisp...ha ha :)

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
how's luke scott holdin out for ya?

i actually do miss Matt Albers....
Eh, it was worth getting Tejada (who didn't want to be here) out. There's really no point in having someone who's old and unhappy playing for you.

I think next up out of here will be Aubrey Huff, since he's shown a bit a displeasure for the team/city.

Matt Albers on the other hand has been a great surprise. I think I heard that they may be moving him up to starter in the coming days.

I said at the beginning of the season that all I expect is +.500 and 3rd place in the east. Anything more than that will be fantastic.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
I think next up out of here will be Aubrey Huff, since he's shown a bit a displeasure for the team/city.

Matt Albers on the other hand has been a great surprise. I think I heard that they may be moving him up to starter in the coming days.

I said at the beginning of the season that all I expect is +.500 and 3rd place in the east. Anything more than that will be fantastic.
yeah i didn't really like Huff when he was an astro...and the orioles totally have the potential to be a plus .500 team!

...and albers totally has the potential to be a starter if he can locate his stuff, which is pretty good i might add...he went to same high school(Clements) as me and we graduated in the same year haha...same elementary school too lol...crazy shit! but yeah...he's the one guy who i'm gonna miss from that trade....

Big Fat Steve

Mar 5, 2005
FOB Ghazni, Afghanistan
Luke Scott has been very streaky, but hasn't hit a good hitting streak in about a month. Albers has been good, and should definitely start some time in the near future.

Overall, the Bedard to Seattle trade has been much more successful. Aside from Adam Jones, we got a minor league pitcher named Chris Tillman who is tearing up double A ball and he's only nineteen.