The Official 2011 NCAA Football Season Thread

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
39 days until Week 1!!!!!

fucking fiending for some college football over here...good thing NCAA doesn't have union lock-outs

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
39 days until Week 1!!!!!

fucking fiending for some college football over here...good thing NCAA doesn't have union lock-outs

How are the Huskies going to deal with losing their coach?

Not weauxfing here, but until an ACC team proves they can take down VT, the Hokies still own the conference.
:action-sm

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
WOoooooo Pig fuckin soooooooie!!!!!!

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
LSU/Oregon is going to be a good game. I actually considered going to it too.

Don't know how Boise/UGA will go.

Been a long offseason. Just 5 more Saturdays to go.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
m-i-z...

(z-o-u)

New QB this year. I have a feeling it doesn't go as well as Brad Smith, Chase Daniel, Blaine Gabbert
But who knows.
The good news is, he's black, and apparently can run a little bit. 4.6 40 Yard Dash is good, right?

Franklin was considered one of the top multi-dimensional QBs in the nation. We have to assume based on that template he would most likely be expected to fall on the Brad Smith skill-set line.
I'd like another Brad Smith.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
LSU/Oregon is going to be a good game. I actually considered going to it too.

Don't know how Boise/UGA will go.

Been a long offseason. Just 5 more Saturdays to go.
If and only IF, Miles uses Mettenberger instead of Jefferson or Lee. Word has it Jefferson is the starter so far. I'm not going to make it this season if that's the case.

phillyfranko

Jun 1, 2010
south of philly
Penn St and Florida St fan here...and I LOVE College Football...great weather in September...Golf... Fishing...Beach...BBQ...Football and Cheerleaders...Bama will be tough and so will Oregon and Boise St...

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
If and only IF, Miles uses Mettenberger instead of Jefferson or Lee. Word has it Jefferson is the starter so far. I'm not going to make it this season if that's the case.
Lee is still around? I thought he graduated.

Jefferson looked the best I've ever seen him in LSU's most recent bowl game.

DanaReevesLungs

Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Lee and Jefferson are both Seniors. Mettenberger is a JC transfer listed as a Sophomore...maybe he's not eligible. I can't remember how the transfer rules are.

Jefferson was good against A&M, but it was still A&M. JaMarcus Russell in his current condition could've beat the Aggies.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Butch Davis just resigned/got fired from UNC. And if you listen to the UNC fans, they just lost the greatest coach since Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, and Bobby Bowden got combined into a supercoach.

Fucking hell: he was at UNC for 4 years, and finished 4th in the ACC Coastal all 4 years (well, he finished T-3rd, but that's still 4th place, if you're being unkind. And I am). In a division with Duke and UVa, that's pretty much finishing last among the teams that actually have a pulse.

The really bad thing for UNC is that he's gone just 2 weeks before fall practice starts.

UNC fucked up big on this one. And I'm laughing.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Butch Davis just resigned/got fired from UNC. And if you listen to the UNC fans, they just lost the greatest coach since Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, and Bobby Bowden got combined into a supercoach.

Fucking hell: he was at UNC for 4 years, and finished 4th in the ACC Coastal all 4 years (well, he finished T-3rd, but that's still 4th place, if you're being unkind. And I am). In a division with Duke and UVa, that's pretty much finishing last among the teams that actually have a pulse.

The really bad thing for UNC is that he's gone just 2 weeks before fall practice starts.

UNC fucked up big on this one. And I'm laughing.
Yeah, I never got all that love for him. He was like Weiss if you ask me. Great recruiter, mediocre on field coach. His teams never produced anything tangible on the field.

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
Word coming out of athens that crowell is the real deal and most likely will be starting and Murray is raving about a new receiver saying he's every bit as good as AJ was his last few years.

Why do they get my hopes up just to crush them by week 4?

I am hoping they stomp boise though, just to shut every one of their fans up for good.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Word coming out of athens that crowell is the real deal and most likely will be starting and Murray is raving about a new receiver saying he's every bit as good as AJ was his last few years.

Why do they get my hopes up just to crush them by week 4?

I am hoping they stomp boise though, just to shut every one of their fans up for good.
There is almost always hype around new starters (if that's what Crowell is).

That hype is almost always overblown.

College football is a game of massive hype. I prefer to take a wait-and-see attitude, though I'll admit I have a hard time when dealing with my own team.

Every college football fan thinks their college is unique and special. They're all right, and they're all wrong.

Look here for instance.

"Oh, Butch Davis loved UNC more than he loved any other job he ever had!!" Have you ever heard a coach say anything different? Larry Coker is saying the same thing at UTSA right now. He's lying. So was Butch. Chapel Hill isn't as fun as South Beach. It just isn't.

And yeah, fans-of-football-players-with-a-million-dollar-smile-who-say-they-loved-your-Tigers-slash-War-Eagles-more-than-anyplace-else, he was probably saying that just to say that, too.

Fans are delusional fucktards. It's easier to see it when you're talking about another school and not your school, and it's hard to apply those lessons to yourself, but you have to if you're going to at least try to be objective.

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
There is almost always hype around new starters (if that's what Crowell is).

That hype is almost always overblown.

Fans are delusional fucktards. It's easier to see it when you're talking about another school and not your school, and it's hard to apply those lessons to yourself, but you have to if you're going to at least try to be objective.
Oh I get that but Crowell was never supposed to be a starter, but after he started practicing and getting more reps it started pissing off the other RBs already in school but not achieving, apparently Ealey didnt like the coaching staff telling him he has to earn #1 and left, I say good riddance to him since he was a fumbling machine inside the 20, I can think of 3 games he cost us last year with his bullshit. All of this is trying to be kept quiet and is leaking out in bits, Richt never starts a freshman and has a redshirt named Malcome who was also a top flight recruit a couple years ago but the "win or else" vibe that is swirling around him now has supposedly forced him to unleash all his best weapons. The surprise to me was Aaron Murray talking about a receiver but not naming him after a coach whispered to him in an interview, I have always known they had good players but Richt is too conservative and that will get him fired and it would be a shame because he is a really nice guy, that doesnt get you wins though or help you keep your job.

I also hope the hype isnt over blown for him and the re-worked defense, which looked better last year, of course it wasnt as stout as when van gorder was there but they werent doing as many shove tackles and actually wrapped guys up.

And you are right, fans are the most delusional people to ever critique a team, its like GT fans around here that kept saying that GT was going to the NCG or Rutgers fans thinking they are going to win it all, its just not going to happen unless other shit falls into place, most of my info comes from the most miserably negative UGA fan I know who thinks the team is going to suck every year so for him to think positive is really strange. I really am just hoping two things: 1) That UGA stomps a mudhole into bose, and 2) They win 9-10 games, anything above that is icing but that type of team is come to be expected down here.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
I'm curious to see how Boise does without Pettis or Young. With those two guys and Kellen Moores accuracy and reads, Boise could hit a homerun on any snap. They'll probably have to have a more conservative/conventional passing game now....but their running back is a tank. I expect them to win the Mountain West, but not really make much BCS noise. We will probably get a break from hearing about BCS busters this year.

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
I'm curious to see how Boise does without Pettis or Young. With those two guys and Kellen Moores accuracy and reads, Boise could hit a homerun on any snap. They'll probably have to have a more conservative/conventional passing game now....but their running back is a tank. I expect them to win the Mountain West, but not really make much BCS noise. We will probably get a break from hearing about BCS busters this year.
I really think that will be stopped the first week of the season and Im hoping it will be another blowout against them by UGA, they didnt deserved their ranking last year since the only real team they beat was an over rated VT(sorry, its true) who played in a really shitty ACC. Im really going to laugh if this grade fixing scandal actually has basis in facts and it gets them sanctioned, you can bet chris peterson's mantra of building something at boise will be out the window if they get put on probation for a few years.

DanaReevesLungs

Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
I really think that will be stopped the first week of the season and Im hoping it will be another blowout against them by UGA, they didnt deserved their ranking last year since the only real team they beat was an over rated VT(sorry, its true) who played in a really shitty ACC. Im really going to laugh if this grade fixing scandal actually has basis in facts and it gets them sanctioned, you can bet chris peterson's mantra of building something at boise will be out the window if they get put on probation for a few years.
You talk like Georgia's done anything the past few years. I'm going to come back to the thread laughing my balls off when Boise embarrasses UGA.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
WE ARE....PENN STATE!!!!!!

thereturn

Aug 24, 2008
You talk like Georgia's done anything the past few years. I'm going to come back to the thread laughing my balls off when Boise embarrasses UGA.
Yeah, I just dont see that happening since boise had to hold off a bad VT team, a team that lost any hard game it played and also to JMU, the ACC was as big a joke as the big east last year so I dont know what you are thinking, boise lost a lot of their playmakers while UGA got an upgrade by losing the RB that caused them to lose big games and directly caused the loss to SC. UGA will be just fine next year and a lot better, I wont be like some idiotic talking heads around here and make them their NC dark horse since I live in reality but I do expect them to throw a wrench in the system and fully expect them to win the east, SC is butt average and florida has virtually no one that can play.

But then LSU is so much better, I guess 2 and 5 loss seasons are just accepted by LSU fans now.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
hoping University of Houston does well, but not at as well as Texas A&M....w00t
man i hate UT

DanaReevesLungs

Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Yeah, I just dont see that happening since boise had to hold off a bad VT team, a team that lost any hard game it played and also to JMU, the ACC was as big a joke as the big east last year so I dont know what you are thinking, boise lost a lot of their playmakers while UGA got an upgrade by losing the RB that caused them to lose big games and directly caused the loss to SC. UGA will be just fine next year and a lot better, I wont be like some idiotic talking heads around here and make them their NC dark horse since I live in reality but I do expect them to throw a wrench in the system and fully expect them to win the east, SC is butt average and florida has virtually no one that can play.

But then LSU is so much better, I guess 2 and 5 loss seasons are just accepted by LSU fans now.
I'm sorry, when was the last time UGA was the National Champion? It's been over 30 years. Secondly, they haven't played in the SEC Championship since 2005. Boise's done more in that time period.