The Official Manga Thread

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What do you guys own and what are you currently reading?

I have volumes 1 through 5 of Black Lagoon and Soul Eater and volume 1 of Death Note (which I ordered volumes 2 through 5 of. I'm just waiting for them to arrive). I like what the Soul Eater anime did with the story and I know the manga is very different passed a certain point so I don't think I'm going to go much further than volume 5, but I've been dying to continue Black Lagoon.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
I'm not really a fan of manga but through the film adaptations I got into LONE WOLF AND CUB and other comics by Koike and Kojima, like SAMURAI EXECUTIONER and LADY SNOWBLOOD.

I think they're all incredible works of art.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
It's a real tragedy that the film series never got to the story's proper finale with the duel between Ogami Itto and Retsudo Yagyu., which is still one of the greatest things I've ever read.
I didn't even know there was a film and I'm not close to the end btw. . . thanks. :haha7:

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
Sorry. I can't really see that as a spoiler, though.

They made six movies in the initial series. I think there has been a TV series and maybe a reboot but the original six with Tomisaburo Wakayama as Ogami Itto are great. You can easily pick up a box-set online.

Wakayama is kind of fat and slobby, but he's fearsome as fuck and lightning with that sword. Kind of like Steven Seagal when he can be bothered.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I just finished watching Berserk and I really think I should read the Manga. The story was fantastic but really open ended and the Manga goes on forever. I was highly impressed by the writing and the depth of the characters, though. I also have Nausicaa, which someone bought for me over the holidays ( :cool:) and I'm slowly going through it.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I got volumes 6 and 7 over the weekend.
Almost done with volume 7 of Death Note.

Just finished the chapter the follows the chapter in which L dies.

I'm about to go watch through that point (at least) in the anime.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Almost done with volume 7 of Death Note.

Just finished the chapter the follows the chapter in which L dies.

I'm about to go watch through that point (at least) in the anime.
This isn't really a spoiler, but I feel like that's where the story peaked. That's not to say the rest isn't good, but It's hard to top that moment. There is very little I can compare it to elsewhere. One of the biggest shocks EVER.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This isn't really a spoiler, but I feel like that's where the story peaked. That's not to say the rest isn't good, but It's hard to top that moment. There is very little I can compare it to elsewhere. One of the biggest shocks EVER.
Let me ask you the big fandom question:

Is Light smarter than L?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Let me ask you the big fandom question:

Is Light smarter than L?

Just in case, let me spoiler this.

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

Tough question but I gotta say no. I think that overall L had the harder task than Light. Light always knew he was being watched and adapted accordingly. L didn't know any of the rules of the game he was thrown into, yet he was still somehow able to anticipate and preempt the attempts to beat him.

Also, think about it in terms of story mechanics - if Light was supposed to be smarter, then he would have outsmarted L, but he didn't. He got fucking lucky because the stupid Shinigami was in love with Misa, who was in love with Light and easily manipulated. I think that was sorta the point - Light could never beat L with skill alone - he had to get lucky to do it... And that's all I'll say right now because you aren't done yet. Lets just say that L may be dead, but he isn't exactly defeated.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

Tough question but I gotta say no. I think that overall L had the harder task than Light. Light always knew he was being watched and adapted accordingly. L didn't know any of the rules of the game he was thrown into, yet he was still somehow able to anticipate and preempt the attempts to beat him.

Also, think about it in terms of story mechanics - if Light was supposed to be smarter, then he would have outsmarted L, but he didn't. He got fucking lucky because the stupid Shinigami was in love with Misa, who was in love with Light and easily manipulated. I think that was sorta the point - Light could never beat L with skill alone - he had to get lucky to do it... And that's all I'll say right now because you aren't done yet. Lets just say that L may be dead, but he isn't exactly defeated.
I feel the same way. L didn't have the luxury of playing with all of the chess pieces. He had to discover the pieces and the rules, whereas Light had all of the pieces and all of the rules presented to him in the beginning. Everything L knew, he figured out himself. The odds were against him from the very beginning, though. He was up against a supernatural power that not only could jump from person to person, but could also wipe a person's memories, rendering them legitimately nigh-innocent. Also, since he wasn't evil like Light, there are certain moves he can't allow himself to make -- they were effectively barred. Light wasn't bound by that since he was far more ruthless than L could ever be.
Something else to consider is that L was not only smart enough to prepare for the possibility of his own death, but also knew how the fight between Light and his successors was going to play out. Light, being profoundly arrogant, never seriously considered that. He never even bothered to think of a way to extend the Kira persona beyond his own lifetime, even after Ryuk reminded him several times that he would one day write Light's name in his Death Note. Light's plans are far-reaching, but his overall vision is extremely myopic.

Also, as you said, Light is incredibly lucky. Naomi Misora also made him. It was a pure luck that he found himself there to intercept her. Even then, he came extremely close to being caught talking to her by Aizawa.

Light Yagami is no doubt both a genius and a master tactician, but ultimately, I doubt he's truly more intelligent than L Lawliet.

Edit: zagman76 , can we please fix these quoting tools? That's supposed to be one spoiler tag, but the board keeps breaking the post up and keeps undoing my attempts at fixing it.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I picture people who read manga as twelve-year-old korean girls.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I feel the same way. L didn't have the luxury of playing with all of the chess pieces. He had to discover the pieces and the rules, whereas Light had all of the pieces and all of the rules presented to him in the beginning. Everything L knew, he figured out himself. The odds were against him from the very beginning, though. He was up against a supernatural power that not only could jump from person to person, but could also wipe a person's memories, rendering them legitimately nigh-innocent. Also, since he wasn't evil like Light, there are certain moves he can't allow himself to make -- they were effectively barred. Light wasn't bound by that since he was far more ruthless than L could ever be.
Something else to consider is that L was not only smart enough to prepare for the possibility of his own death, but also knew how the fight between Light and his successors was going to play out. Light, being profoundly arrogant, never seriously considered that. He never even bothered to think of a way to extend the Kira persona beyond his own lifetime, even after Ryuk reminded him several times that he would one day write Light's name in his Death Note. Light's plans are far-reaching, but his overall vision is extremely myopic.

Also, as you said, Light is incredibly lucky. Naomi Misora also made him. It was a pure luck that he found himself there to intercept her. Even then, he came extremely close to being caught talking to her by Aizawa.

Light Yagami is no doubt both a genius and a master tactician, but ultimately, I doubt he's truly more intelligent than L Lawliet.
Some of the more specific plot points you mention elude me now because it's been about a year since I've seen it, but I especially agree with your point about the good guy always being more restricted than the bad guy, which makes his task harder.
I picture people who read manga as twelve-year-old korean girls.
Why would you picture Korean girls doing something Japanese? I mean, sure, they read Manga in Korea, but that's like me saying "I picture people who read Time magazine as 40-year-old Norwegian businessmen." I'm sure some Norwegian businessmen read Time magazine, but why wouldn't you picture an American businessman?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA

I just remembered something. Would Light have found out that he was being tailed by Raye Penber if Ryuk hadn't tipped him off? Would he have been able to avoid all 64 of L's cameras?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I just remembered something. Would Light have found out that he was being tailed by Raye Penber if Ryuk hadn't tipped him off? Would he have been able to avoid all 64 of L's cameras?
BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

Jeez, like I said in the post above, it's been too long for me to remember the smaller details, but I remember thinking to myself several times that he got lucky. But, in fairness, L also got lucky a couple of times. He made far-fetched guesses based on hunches that turned out to be true, but could have easily been false and then he would have been fucked. But it's a story so that shit has to happen. Wouldn't be interesting if it ended after 3 chapters...

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Right now, I just finished reading a volume of Yotsubato! It's pretty childish, but it's the only thing I can read comfortably in Japanese, at this point. I do recommend it though if any of you end up learning Japanese, it's better than reading the nonsense that's in texbooks.

I shall endeavor to read Death Note soon, too. I guess I could buy the Japanese version and "acquire" the English one, as a reading aid. I'm not spending twice the money just to be able to read one manga, that's for sure.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
NeonTaster

I just finished the Death Note manga.

Light's death was even more pathetic and undignified than in the anime.