The Official MLB Banning Thread

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This is going to be so huge, I figured it could use it's own thread.

Alex Rodriguez, other All Stars, could face suspension by end of the week
Published July 31, 2013
FoxNews.com

NEW YORK – Major League Baseball has told the union which players it intends to suspend in its drug investigation and which ones will receive lengthier penalties for their roles in the Biogenesis case, two people familiar with the talks told The Associated Press.

The sides are trying to reach as many agreements as possible that would avoid grievance hearings, and talks could push back an announcement until Friday.

The meeting between MLB and the union on Tuesday, first reported by the New York Daily News, signaled the final stretch of talks. MLB hopes to announce the penalties for all players involved at the same time, both people said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcements were authorized.

Three-time MVP Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees stands to receive the longest suspension. While 50 games is the standard for a first offense, the stiffer penalties for some players are tied to other alleged violations, including not being truthful to MLB investigators.

While MLB folks hold out hope Rodriguez will agree to a lesser sentence in return for not appealing a penalty, they have received little indication he is prepared to actually do so — even as the other plea deals would further bolster the credibility of star witness (and Biogenesis owner) Anthony Bosch. Commissioner Bud Selig has contemplated issuing a lifetime sentence, yet that would be difficult to support in front of an arbitrator, as Rodriguez is currently viewed as a zero-time offender. A ban of Rodriguez through 2014 appears more likely, The New York Post reported.

Three 2013 All-Stars could face bans: Texas outfielder Nelson Cruz, San Diego shortstop Everth Cabrera and Detroit shortstop Jhonny Peralta. In a sign Peralta's suspension might be imminent, the Tigers acquired shortstop Jose Iglesias from Boston on Tuesday night as part of a three-way trade with the Chicago White Sox.

"The frank reality is that I do not know what is going to happen with Jhonny, but with this move, we now feel well protected if there is a long suspension," Tigers general manager David Dombrowski said.

Another 2013 All-Star, Oakland pitcher Bartolo Colon, was suspended last year following a positive testosterone test, as were Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera and San Diego catcher Yasmani Grandal. They won't receive additional discipline for that violation, the two people said.

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and Seattle catcher Jesus Montero also have been linked in media reports to Biogenesis, a closed Florida anti-aging clinic that was accused by Miami New Times in January of distributing banned performing-enhancing drugs.

Melky Cabrera was the 2012 All-Star game MVP while with San Francisco and Colon won the 2005 AL Cy Young Award with the Los Angeles Angels.

Players who don't reach agreements can ask the players' association to file grievances, which would lead to hearings before arbitrator Fredric Horowitz. Discipline for first offenders under the drug agreement usually is not announced until after the penalty is upheld, but there is an exception when the conduct leading to the discipline already has been made public.

In addition, MLB may try to suspend Rodriguez under its collective bargaining agreement instead of its drug rules, which would lead to the suspension starting before the appeal.

Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun was the first player to reach an agreement with MLB. The 2011 NL MVP accepted a season-ending 65-game suspension last week. Braun tested positive for elevated testosterone in October 2011 but a 50-game suspension was overturned the following February by an arbitrator who ruled Braun's urine sample was handled improperly.

Rodriguez faces the harshest penalty. The Yankees expected him to be accused of recruiting other athletes for the clinic, attempting to obstruct MLB's investigation, and not being truthful with MLB in the past when he discussed his relationship with Dr. Anthony Galea, who pleaded guilty two years ago to a federal charge of bringing unapproved drugs into the United States from Canada.

"A-Rod was my teammate in New York. I'm glad he was my teammate," retired pitcher Roger Clemens said Tuesday in Boston, where he was at Fenway Park to mark the 25th anniversary of manager Joe Morgan's team that won the 1988 AL East title.

"I did things to make him feel comfortable. I did that for all of my teammates," Clemens said. "I think I was a pretty solid teammate."

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner was acquitted last year of federal charges he lied to Congress when he said he didn't take steroids or human growth hormone.

Clemens would not give his thoughts on MLB's Biogenesis investigation.

"I've got my own feelings on particular people in MLB, you know, how they approached my situation," he said. "I don't know about it, and I don't care about it, to tell you the truth."

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...ch-players-it-plans-to-suspend/#ixzz2adTkFdjt

jshep

speed freak
Dec 8, 2006
houston,texas
Good. If MLB truly wanted to clean the game up they would remove all mention of any known ped users. Put hr record back to 61/755. Make it known you cheat you are gone. Secondly get rid of all the writers who sat by and did nothing during the 90's when they/owners/MLB let guys juice thier minds out. But the "greats" from the 50's-70's used amphetamines . It's a screwed up situation cause it seems MLB gets ripped worse than the other major sports for players behavior. Nobody really says anything to the thug nfl lifestyle. What is it about 37 players arrested in6 months and one for first degree murder

SallieTomato

Here'sh The Thing
Jul 25, 2012
SOL.3
I absolutely knew A-Roid would never play another game when he left last season.
Expensive.
Broken down.
A juicer.
Old.
Who the fuck wants this sissy spic?

May 30, 2013
I wish my team was good enough to have a player that needs suspending...fucking Loria.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I'm so fucking sick of A-Rod. I used to think people were being too hard on him, but he really is a narcissistic dickbag. He can't keep his stupid mouth shut even though he knows he's busted this time. When other players are owning up to what they did and accepting their suspensions and even the players' union is saying that they think anyone who is guilty should accept their punishment, this stupid prick is out there complaining about some JFK-like conspiracy to run him out of the league as if the entire world is stupid enough to believe that he's the one player involved in this who was set up. He's a fucking retard and I'd rather watch the Yankees have anyone but him at third base at this point. And fuck whichever Steinbrenner brother it was who caved and gave him another 10-year deal when he opted out and NOBODY else was going to give him that much money for 10 years.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I love that A-Rod is going to be suspended until 2015, but he'll be in the starting lineup tomorrow night.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I love that A-Rod is going to be suspended until 2015, but he'll be in the starting lineup tomorrow night.
I really really hate him and don't want him ever on the Yankees again...but how funny would it be if he hit 3HR tonight?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I hope A-fraud has a career ending injury tonight.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Just bean him at every at bat.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The Mariners have one player effected by this, Montero, but he sucks the dick anyway, so fuck 'im.

Montero really should get his money back, it obviously didn't work.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I do not like the fact that these guys can cut deals. Braun should have gotten much worse especially since his team stinks this year so they lose nothing. Hell look at Ruiz for the phils, he has absolutely no power this year after being caught. I really thought the Arod being penciled in tonight is a ploy. It furthers the case of the Yanks not to pay him by saying they were going to play him but he got suspended but no suspensions yet.

I still have a hard time with Pete Rose being banned for life when they do not have any proof he threw a game(only during his coaching days) while betting but we have definite proof these steriod guys cheated non stop(as they are playing the game) and they do not get banned for life. This changed outcomes of games and impacted any and all records. Someone really needs to explain that one to me.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
I do not like the fact that these guys can cut deals. Braun should have gotten much worse especially since his team stinks this year so they lose nothing. Hell look at Ruiz for the phils, he has absolutely no power this year after being caught. I really thought the Arod being penciled in tonight is a ploy. It furthers the case of the Yanks not to pay him by saying they were going to play him but he got suspended but no suspensions yet.

I still have a hard time with Pete Rose being banned for life when they do not have any proof he threw a game(only during his coaching days) while betting but we have definite proof these steriod guys cheated non stop(as they are playing the game) and they do not get banned for life. This changed outcomes of games and impacted any and all records. Someone really needs to explain that one to me.
Pete Rose didn't grease the right palms.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Sadly, the A-Rod circus has come to my backyard.

Fortunately/unfortunately, my beloved White Sox are in a severe suckage mode, so I don't have to really watch any of this.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm so fucking sick of A-Rod. I used to think people were being too hard on him, but he really is a narcissistic dickbag. He can't keep his stupid mouth shut even though he knows he's busted this time. When other players are owning up to what they did and accepting their suspensions and even the players' union is saying that they think anyone who is guilty should accept their punishment, this stupid prick is out there complaining about some JFK-like conspiracy to run him out of the league as if the entire world is stupid enough to believe that he's the one player involved in this who was set up. He's a fucking retard and I'd rather watch the Yankees have anyone but him at third base at this point. And fuck whichever Steinbrenner brother it was who caved and gave him another 10-year deal when he opted out and NOBODY else was going to give him that much money for 10 years.
As much I don't like A-Rod, I still want the guy to get his money. The Yankees shouldn't be able to use the commissioner's office to help wipe away their dumb mistake of re-signing him. They have to live with that decision and figure out another way to fix it.

The Mariners have one player effected by this, Montero, but he sucks the dick anyway, so fuck 'im.

Montero really should get his money back, it obviously didn't work.
Looks like the Mariners got the worse part of that Pineda for Montero trade after all.

If I'm not mistaken, it says in every clubhouse that gambling on baseball is against the rules. If a rule for using PEDs' had been in place before the steroid era, than maybe a lifetime ban for users would have been appropriate.

I also have to disagree with you that PEDs' changed the outcomes of games. A pitcher still had to throw the pitch and a hitter still had to recognize what that pitch was to know he whether he should swing or not. Whose to say that without PEDS, the outcome would still have been the same.

As for changing records, if a individual wants to still believe that Hank Aaron is the all time homerun leader or Roger Maris has the record for most homeruns hit in one season, they are more than happy to do so. But I don't think those records should be officially changed by MLB. You're opening a serious can of worms if you were to do that.

Finally, if Tony Bosch can cut a deal to get a lighter sentence, than I have no problem with the players that he is ratting on doing the same.

hardhead

Aug 15, 2009
coleman michigan
Isn't it a little stupid that the WWE have a better drug policy than Major League Baseball.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
A-Rod suspended until the end of 2014. But he gets to play through the appeal, and an arbitrator will eventually decide his final sentence.

The key in all this is that the Yankees just had 25 million shaved off their 2014 payroll. Winter is coming, and it's gonna be a fun one.

Last edited:

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
As much I don't like A-Rod, I still want the guy to get his money. The Yankees shouldn't be able to use the commissioner's office to help wipe away their dumb mistake of re-signing him. They have to live with that decision and figure out another way to fix it.
I've seen no evidence of the commissioner's office ever doing a single god damn thing to favor the Yankees in any way. He's not gonna start now.

The reason why A-Rod is getting this bigger suspension is because he's been a bigger asshole than anyone else. Besides, the final decision will belong with the arbitrator, who's only interest in this matter is to objectively look at the evidence. If the commissioner really was just picking on A-Rod for no good reason, and A-Rod didn't interfere with the investigation, then the arbitrator will reduce his suspension to match that of the other players.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I love the Nelson Cruz suspension.
Because
A. He could appeal and probably play out most of the season, and help the Rangers make the post-season
Or.
B. Take the suspension, BECAUSE HE'S GOING TO BE A FREE AGENT. So, when he's negotiating his next deal, he gets to start 2014. Not that he'll be out the first 50 games.

All about me...
I guess he had some tummy-aches, and needed PEDS

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
So does Nelson Cruz do the "right thing" in the eyes of the Rangers organization and appeal the suspension, so be can be around to help his team win a division title?

Or
Does he do the other "right thing", admit what he did, say he is sorry, and accept his suspension?

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I thought he's already accepted the suspension, "All about me..."
But I could be wrong, I've really not cared about any of this. It's taken too long.

MLB NET has been talking about this Live all-day. Eric Brynes just said that he played through the Steroids-Era, and that he didn't decide to not to steroids because he thought it was wrong. He didn't do them because of the side-effects...
But then he talked about how the side effects he was worried about was premature balding and backne, nothing medical, just vanity.

I thought it was funny.
"I would've done them, but I wanted this amazing hair and nice skin. Oh, there's other medical and anatomical side-effects as well? No biggie, as long as my back is smooth"

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing.
But, why have escalating penalties then? Why the "50, 150, Life" setup?

Is it because when they were popped last time it was from this same "Biogenisis Thing"
A double jeopardy thing?

If they were different, I don't get it.