The Opie and Jim Show

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I find it an interesting dynamic when it is just Op and Jim. Jim really hits his stride when it is just the two of them.

Any thoughts on this, or am I just a douche.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
I thought the tension would be so great that they'd start making out :D

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I find it an interesting dynamic when it is just Op and Jim. Jim really hits his stride when it is just the two of them.

Like Anthony, Jim is capable of milking and improvising on his thoughts on a given news story or personal anecdote.

we already know that Opie knows how to move things along pretty well.

As I've mentioned before, I remember when Opie was sick way back when and it was the Anthony and Rick show, and it just didn't work and they knew it.

That said, I think Anthony and Jim would be OK if Opie gets sick again. Depending on the time of year Opie gets married and honeymoons, we might see that eventually.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
It was just till the first break.

HumpX

Character Assassin
Oct 30, 2004
Rhode Island

I thought it was interesting as well but just as a curiosity thing more than a need for seeing any change to the line-up.

I've always been curious if Ant and Jimmy could carry an entire show without Opie though. Opie's contribution isn't readily apparent unless you make a conscious attempt at recognizing what he does on a daily basis.....and its a lot more than most give him credit for. He controls the flow, directs subject matter, has to time bits and commercials with appropriate lead-ins/outs and a ton of other shit.

*terminating brown-nose mode*

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I thought it was interesting as well but just as a curiosity thing more than a need for seeing any change to the line-up.

I've always been curious if Ant and Jimmy could carry an entire show without Opie though. Opie's contribution isn't readily apparent unless you make a conscious attempt at recognizing what he does on a daily basis.....and its a lot more than most give him credit for. He controls the flow, directs subject matter, has to time bits and commercials with appropriate lead-ins/outs and a ton of other shit.

I agree on Opie being very valuable, but right when Jimmy was brought in full-time, someone (probably Opie) knew that having a third voice in there as often as possible (Bob Kelly, Patrice, Vos, Louis CK, etc.) is very important.

I think there's enough comfort around that group and Ant and Jim to handle a show on their own. Jimmy has proven adept at asking questions and making sure guest plugs are properly placed. combine them with the board-ops that work behind the scenes and they can get by for a few days without opie - at least with much better results than the aforementioned Anthony and Rick show (which I think Stephen Lynch had to save, if I recall).

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Sir Anthony should have called in the Howiecopter for an air lift.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I think Ant and Jim are just fine. I listen carefully to the show and I really think those two alone would do just fine. Jim is a the man and Ant is hilarious. Op...well, he just doesnt make me laugh...ever. JMO.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I think Jimmy in general has been a lot more involved in the show lately. He really did a great job kind of steering the Ricky Gervais interview and even called it over by saying they had to go to break. He really seems better at interviewing people than he gets credit for. Old Jimmy would have screwed up today when he made the Eddie Izzard reference by saying, "that comic that wears a dress, something about a dress..." ;)

In the past sometimes it would take him 15 minutes or so before he said anything. I think that has a lot to do with the hours he keeps, etc.

Little Chuckie

Jul 21, 2005
Well I was there the day Opie walked out when XM wouldn't let the ladies get naked; Ant and Jim handled it like pros and didn't miss a beat.

In the long run, the show is just better with three people and since Opie is my favorite (without him there would be no show, ant may be in a band or knocking tin, Jimmy would still be Jimmy but might not have risen so far so quickly) I like it when he gets involved on the air more.

That said, for a short run if Ant or Opie had to leave then the show would continue as normal, but in the long run it would suffer. If Opie has kids while on the air I can see him taking a few days off here and there.

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Exactly. It would be neat for a day or 2 just to see how combinations would work.

personally I'd like to see an Anthony, Jim and Bob Kelly show.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Today was a lil' preview of when Ant's luck runs up doing 100mph on the winter highways. :action-sm

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
As I've mentioned before, I remember when Opie was sick way back when and it was the Anthony and Rick show, and it just didn't work and they knew it.
yeah but thats why I enjoyed it.

no one wants to hear an extended version of the show without ant or opie, but Id be interested to hear it once in a while when one is sick of something.

L

local resident

jimmy takes control every once in a while... he handles the show well.

RMPGP

Feb 16, 2006
Jim hangs during the initial show to get his feet under him and chimes in when he has something. In this case, he had to hit the ground running and did great as expected.

I liked hearing a different dynamic, it was interesting. Also Ant's Fbomb getting dumped by his cell phone was classic.

L

local resident

of course it was. happened to a caller last week as well. haha.

oafanwyo

More and Faster
Feb 4, 2007
Casper, WY
I like the sound of it...... The Lil' Jim and Opie morning zoo. Ant could call in once in a while with some wacky "Whats Anthony up to today".

the_ba

Dierks! Get to the chopper! Daah ahhh!!
Jan 18, 2004
Baton Rouge, LA
i think it would work until opie called jim a fuckface

LLLIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGEEEEEER LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGEEEEEERRRRRR
But then Ant would be there to say 'Holy Shit'

LLLLIIIINNNNNGERRRRRRRRRRRR LLLOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGEERRRRR!!!!!

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.

:clap::clap::clap:

Jim T.

Calmo, calmo...
Jul 12, 2005
I like when Jimmy is more active on the show, like the way he took charge of that hard-hitting Ricky Gervais interview. He really gave Gervais the business.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
No Anthony= less good

Anthony is the man and without him the show would be meh

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
Ant and Jimmy make the show. Op is too angry for me. I have enough anger in my life, and need to laugh. I really thought about it. Op has never made me laugh, ever.