The original idea for WWF buying WCW

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Meltzer:

The idea at the time was that WWF would continue to operate WCW as a separate entity. It would be Shane McMahon’s WCW (later expanded into a unit with Stephanie McMahon’s ECW in a quickly changing and eventually failing storyline) against Vince McMahon’s WWF.
The idea was that Vince McMahon would be caught with his pants down, with WCW’s Torrie Wilson, and Linda McMahon would catch him. This angle actually did air, but all the follow-up was abruptly dropped and never referred to again.
The on-camera storyline of Vince and Linda’s divorce would lead to Linda getting control of Monday night on USA in the dividing of the family assets. She would side with a babyface Shane, and WCW would continue as a separate group on the USA Network.
The WWF brand would use Thursday nights on UPN for Smackdown, as its flagship.
That showed how serious the company was, at first. You have to understand the situation in 2001 at the time. When Vince McMahon laid out his plans to me, his key point was that WCW would need help at first. WWF was established and on fire. In his mind, WCW would have to get the primary time slot to be perceived as an even match-up as opposed to a secondary brand. However, when it later came to actual practice, in booking, WCW’s stars were clearly positioned as not being on the same level of WWF’s stars. The argument was made that WCW didn’t have the stars who could compete, but it’s pro wrestling and you make the best of what you have. In addition, the obvious way to set up the big change, WCW getting the Monday USA time slot, would be to set up a major match for the slot that WCW wins. Instead, no such match giving them that credibility was to take place. Instead, WCW was supposed to get Monday based on breaking up of assets in a storyline divorce of Vince and Linda McMahon.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
It's an interesting idea that in a way did happen with the Raw and Smackdown "brands," but I think it would have been better to have Raw stay Raw and have WCW/ECW on UPN.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
have WCW/ECW on UPN.
WCW and ECW should NEVER cross paths. That's where the Invasion storyline really started to fall apart. ECW showing up out of nowhere was cool, unexpected, and very well-done. Then the WWF fucked it up by having ECW and WCW join forces.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
WCW and ECW should NEVER cross paths. That's where the Invasion storyline really started to fall apart. ECW showing up out of nowhere was cool, unexpected, and very well-done. Then the WWF fucked it up by having ECW and WCW join forces.
Yes, ECW and WCW working together doesn't make sense, but Shane and Stephanie working together against Vince does. I think they should have done a WWF show and a WCW/ECW show instead of a draft, have a story line where it turns into the ECW guys against the WCW guys, draw on similar undertones of the nWo, and have those brands separate like they did with ECW anyway.