The Orville - Seth Macfarlane Star Trek Spoof

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Reviews are starting to come in. The general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work as a comedy or a sci fi show.
To be fair, those reviewers went in expecting comedy, and were disappointed by the dramedy. I'm hesitant to think they were completely objective having been fooled by the marketing.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I havent looked at yet but I'll give it 6 weeks

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
You know what? Wasn't bad at all. There were some eye rolling moments, but there were genuine laughs as well.

I think he's one of the few people who's style plays better with the pg-13 limitations.

Floyd1977

You know what? Wasn't bad at all. There were some eye rolling moments, but there were genuine laughs as well.

I think he's one of the few people who's style plays better with the pg-13 limitations.
Taped it, but tell me, is it full of Seth's left wing smugness?

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
I think it could be good. First episode wasn't horrible. But Fox is famous for cutting a show off after just a couple episodes if it doesn't shoot to #1. Especially if it's as expensive as this one looks to produce. Or if Joss Whedon has anything to do with it. Which he doesn't. So they have that going for them.

I'll stick with it. Although it was weird seeing Stan and Steve Smith interact with each other in real life.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Didn't hate it, but it didn't exactly wow me either. I'll keep with it though.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I was going to catch it on demand, my wife is already decided that it sucks, I have a tendency to follow her lead

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I was going to catch it on demand, my wife is already decided that it sucks, I have a tendency to follow her lead
I wouldn't say sucks.
More like "meh".
It has some potential but it will need work.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I just find Seth McF to be not very funny outside his cartoons. His live action stuff is bland. Also, his entire look is just mushy and boring. Not that physicality is necessary in comedy, but he doesn't present well, IMO.

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
I just find Seth McF to be not very funny outside his cartoons. His live action stuff is bland. Also, his entire look is just mushy and boring. Not that physicality is necessary in comedy, but he doesn't present well, IMO.
Why this very morning, my wife put forward the proposition that Mr. McF has probably "Had Work Done."

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Why this very morning, my wife put forward the proposition that Mr. McF has probably "Had Work Done."
Probably right. There's definitely something "off" about his look. He looks like he's made of plastic, like a Ken doll.

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
Probably right. There's definitely something "off" about his look. He looks like he's made of plastic, like a Ken doll.
Like you could play "Wipeout" on his face.

KRSOne

The Tim Allen spoof was good. This was decent.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Rumor has it, Elon and Seth are having a contest to see who can look more androgynous.

Floyd1977

I think it could be good. First episode wasn't horrible. But Fox is famous for cutting a show off after just a couple episodes if it doesn't shoot to #1. Especially if it's as expensive as this one looks to produce. Or if Joss Whedon has anything to do with it. Which he doesn't. So they have that going for them.
Just watched the first episode. Was ok, I guess (I thought they oversold the dog licking its balls joke). How did it do ratings wise. Show looks like it is on the expensive side so of ratings aren't good it's not going to get much of a chance (though McFarlane being behind it might get it some extra goodwill)

NotSoFast

The commercial said over 16 million watched the first episode. I was going to watch the second one, but they are showing the Denver game instead.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Watching ep #2 now. Meh. Same level of humor as #1, imo. The SFX are pretty good, which ironically takes me a bit out of the show, as it's supposed to be comedy but could easily work as a genuine ripoff of Star Trek in the vein of Galaxy Quest if it decides what it wants to be.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Watching ep #2 now. Meh. Same level of humor as #1, imo. The SFX are pretty good, which ironically takes me a bit out of the show, as it's supposed to be comedy but could easily work as a genuine ripoff of Star Trek in the vein of Galaxy Quest if it decides what it wants to be.
I'm not so sure he's going for full on comedy.
I think the Galaxy Quest idea might be closer to it.
It's a sci-fi series that goes for humor instead of
full on drama but still tries to tell a story, not just
go for the laffs.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I'm not so sure he's going for full on comedy.
I think the Galaxy Quest idea might be closer to it.
It's a sci-fi series that goes for humor instead of
full on drama but still tries to tell a story, not just
go for the laffs.
You're probably right. I guess the thing, then, is that they need to first get some chemistry going between the characters, then maybe find a story. They keep talking about the Krill, but have they shown one yet?