The Orville - Seth Macfarlane Star Trek Spoof

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Didn't really want to like it, liked it in spite of itself. Like @OilyJillFart said, fun little time waster. Doesn't hurt that there are two attractive women on the show either. I'm down for a season 2.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
I love the show, but ever since I saw this video, Seth's constant sighs after every line are starting to bug me. I can't un-hear it now.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

Well, I knew they casted her for some kind of demo. Now I know who.
I was actually referring to the cute strong alien chick and Bobbie Morse/Adrienne Palecki, but I wouldn't toss Penny Johnson out of bed either.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
I was actually referring to the cute strong alien chick and Bobbie Morse/Adrienne Palecki, but I wouldn't toss Penny Johnson out of bed either.
Strong Girl is definitely hot, but the last episode that featured her facing fear was the lamest of all so far.
Apparently being strong also means being immune to getting clubbed with a heavy bar by an android
that seems just as strong as her.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Wow, they did three or four plot lifts from TNG in this last one, including making the black guy the chief engineer. If anyone was on the fence before about it being a ripoff, they can't be now. It's just 4 or 5 weak jokes added to fend off the plagiarism accusations and maintain the "parody" classification.

...and again, despite all that, it's better to have something like this on than not, as the door needs to be kept open for sci-fi on broadcast. I just wish it were better.

Radioguy

This still feels like a middling and mediocre clone of TNG with the minimum quota of laughs to be classified as a spoof. I'm sure CBS' lawyers still wait for something actionable.

Anyhow, the season premiere has the requisite Sam & Diane requisite breakup to keep the tension going between the leads until they hook up again by the end of the season. Might as well buy a wedding present for their new significant others.

Also, the 45 min/hour format is not fully utilized. This last episode seemed a little repetitive to fill it up. Were there good Star Trek on the air, I think this would be cancelled, but there's not, so on we go.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Also, the 45 min/hour format is not fully utilized. This last episode seemed a little repetitive to fill it up. Were there good Star Trek on the air, I think this would be cancelled, but there's not, so on we go.
ST:Discovery is not a bad Star Trek spin-off. I enjoyed many of the episodes.

I have read that Capt. Picard will have his own show and is in production.

Radioguy

ST:Discovery is not a bad Star Trek spin-off. I enjoyed many of the episodes.
As we spoke about in the thread for that, yes, it is bad, and getting worse. Orville is the closest thing to real Trek right now, which is a tragedy.

I have read that Capt. Picard will have his own show and is in production.
Yeah, you read it in that thread. Plus you saw the picture with Stewart sitting at the same table with Alex Kurtzman. Now, if that doesn't tell you all you need to know, I don't know how to help you.

Oh, I want that show, but not with his involvement. I hope someone metoo's Kurtzman before that comes together.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
People really need to stop hiring Kurtzman. He's fucking terrible.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
So in further proof this wants to be Star Trek, both Dr's Phlox from Enterprise and The Emergency Medical Hologram from Voyager guest starred on last night's episode.

Radioguy

Both were given great dialogue. Still, the ratings are so low now, this could potentially be cancelled. That would be a shame.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Both were given great dialogue. Still, the ratings are so low now, this could potentially be cancelled. That would be a shame.
Have the ratings really crashed and burned? That is a shame. It really is an entertaining show, even with McF's retarded amount of plastic surgery so apparent in every closeup. Damn is his face tight.

And I hope

they aren't serious about losing Halston Sage and sliding in Warburton as the security chief. She's literally one of only two pieces of eye candy on the show.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I just started watching this. McFarlane is a genius getting Fox to pay him to fulfill his Stark Trek fantasy. It’s entertaining, but much lighter on the comedy than I’d originally thought.

Radioguy

And I hope

they aren't serious about losing Halston Sage and sliding in Warburton as the security chief. She's literally one of only two pieces of eye candy on the show.
The theory is that McFarlane is emulating TNG down to Denise Crosby's departure, and the explanation/cover story of her leaving is a "schedule conflict". This could mean she returns as a different character, but who knows if this even happens if the show is tanking.

I'm two episodes behind. But I think a Fox did a huge disservice to the show by the way they scheduled it. I understand they wanted to air NFL games on Thursdays night during the fall. Having said that, you can't bring back a show in December 2018/January 2019, when the season one finale aired on December 07, 2017 and expect what little audience you had to still be there.

Radioguy

Was Halston Sage fucking McFarlane? Just saw someone mention in comments on an article that she felt uncomfortable when it ended, and that was the reason she left. I haven't seen an article about that, but it might explain things.