TV The Passage (Fox)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Fox Nabs ‘The Passage’ Vampire Drama From Liz Heldens, Matt Reeves & Scott Free With Big Commitment

EXCLUSIVE: Fox has given a pilot production commitment to The Passage, a drama series based on Justin Cronin’s fantasy book trilogy. The high-profile project hails from Liz Heldens (Friday Night Lights), Felicity co-creator Matt Reeves, Scott Free and 20th Century Fox TV.

Written by Heldens, with Reeves set to direct, The Passage begins as a character-driven government conspiracy thriller and morphs into a post-apocalyptic saga with vampires. The series spans over a century and focuses on a young girl named Amy who must save the human race.

Heldens executive produces alongside Reeves and Adam Kassan via 6th & Idaho and Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker via Scott Free Productions. Cronin is co-producer. 20th TV, where Heldens and Reeves’ 6th & Idaho are under overall deals, is the studio. Clayton Krueger will oversee for Scott Free and Rafi Crohn for 6th & Idaho.

The Passage‘s road to the screen started in 2007 when, in a fierce bidding situation among film studios and top producers, Fox 2000 landed the first book — then half-written — for $1.75 million for Scott Free to produce. Originally developed as a feature, the producers eventually determined that the property would be better served as a TV series. The project migrated to sister studio 20th TV, which, working with Scott Free, attached Heldens because she loved the books and she hit it off with the producers.

The Passage trilogy by Cronin includes the best-selling eponymous first book, published in 2010 by Random House’s Ballantine Books, which was followed by The Twelve in 2012 and The City of Mirrors earlier this year.
Heldens serves an executive producer on Seth MacFarlane’s upcoming space dramedy series for Fox. She previously created NBC’s Mercy and Deceptionand co-created the network’s summer series Camp.Before segueing to development, Heldens spent three seasons on the critically praised drama Friday Night Lights. She is repped by WME.

This is the second big commitment for 6th & Idaho this season. The company also has a put pilot at NBC with Family Honor, written by Nkechi Carroll. Since Felicity ended in 2002, Reeves — who created and executive produced the the cult WB dramedy with J.J. Abrams — has been focused on feature directing, helming Abrams’ Cloverfield and Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes. He is in post-production on the followup, War For the Planet of the Apes. 6th & Idaho is repped by CAA, 3 Arts, and Attorney Karl Austen.

Scott Free has several series on the air, including The Man in the High Castle, Mercy Street and the upcoming Good Wife spinoff, The Good Fight, Taboo and The Terror.Additionally, the company has the popular Killing movie franchise at National Geographic and multiple drama series projects in the works at CBS. Scott Free is repped by WME. The book series is repped by ICM Partners and Trident Media Group.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I want this to be good so much. I don't know how the Fox pilot system works. Could they look at it and say "this is a better fit for FX"? Because I think it would be a better fit for FX.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I want this to be good so much. I don't know how the Fox pilot system works. Could they look at it and say "this is a better fit for FX"? Because I think it would be a better fit for FX.
Yup, on fox it's a waste. I'd really prefer it was on HBO or Netflix.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Seth Macfarlane space dramedy series?

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
On Fox it will be lucky if it lasts a year. Hopefully it will wind up on Fx instead.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Looks like this premieres January 14th.

They're going to fuck it up.
Wonder if they even cast the people for the 100 year jump. The trailer looks like all present day.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Looks like this premieres January 14th.

They're going to fuck it up.
I never started the third book. Was it any good? I wasn't nearly as into the first two books as you or @Neon , but maybe I wasn't in the right mood? I don't know. There's so much to read. I'm reading Storm of Steel, the WW1 book now.

Anyway...

When I was reading the first two books, I thought that any series set in the aftermath, which is the vast vast majorities of the books, would be treated as a knock-off of The Walking Dead and do we want another that? But it being all in Present Day looks kind of lame (even though I think I found that period a bit more interesting despite it not being a major part of the book). It looks like a less interesting The Gifted, which I haven't watched either.

I was going to say, I'd have more faith in its potential if it was on FX, but then I remember did - what was that stupid vampire show with Corey Stoll? The Strain?

EDIT:

But I guess that's another problem too. With any Outbreak Show, you're going to get The Walking Dead regardless since you need to get to the mutant hook fairly quickly. Fear The Walking Dead became The Walking Dead like halfway though its first season. So I guess seeing how civilization evolved a century after the outbreak would be the more interesting (but expensive) story.

Last edited:

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I was going to say, I'd have more faith in its potential if it was on FX, but then I remember did - what was that stupid vampire show with Corey Stoll? The Strain?
Corey Stoll's terrible hairpiece was the true star of The Strain. The show never recovered after the dumb writers decided to kill him off.

Also, I really need to read these books.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Corey Stoll's terrible hairpiece was the true star of The Strain. The show never recovered after the dumb writers decided to kill him off.

Also, I really need to read these books.
God that was terrible

When you type in "Corey Stoll The Strain" in Google, all of the top sites are about the wig.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I never started the third book. Was it any good? I wasn't nearly as into the first two books as you or @Neon , but maybe I wasn't in the right mood? I don't know. There's so much to read. I'm reading Storm of Steel, the WW1 book now.

Anyway...

When I was reading the first two books, I thought that any series set in the aftermath, which is the vast vast majorities of the books, would be treated as a knock-off of The Walking Dead and do we want another that? But it being all in Present Day looks kind of lame (even though I think I found that period a bit more interesting despite it not being a major part of the book). It looks like a less interesting The Gifted, which I haven't watched either.

There are many differences between this and the Walking Dead, the largest being that the story goes hundreds of years beyond the "event". But yes, the third book was good, and you may like it more than the first two because it's very different (personally I liked "The Passage" the most).

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
There are many differences between this and the Walking Dead, the largest being that the story goes hundreds of years beyond the "event". But yes, the third book was good, and you may like it more than the first two because it's very different (personally I liked "The Passage" the most).
I know it's different and get how it's different. When I compared it to The Walking Dead, it was me picturing how it would look as a TV series rather than the content of the book itself.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I know it's different and get how it's different. When I compared it to The Walking Dead, it was me picturing how it would look as a TV series rather than the content of the book itself.
That makes sense, I don't doubt Fox is going to try and make it their "Walking Dead".

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Nothing in the TV spots even remind me of The Passage.