The Passage Series By Justin Cronin

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Hope he doesn't take as long as Clive Barker did with THE SCARLET GOSPELS, then deliver a pile of plops.
He was already a year behind initial projections with the October 2015 release date. It better be fucking good.

On a related note, I'm debating between either re-reading the first two books or re-reading Swan Song again (which I've wanted to do for a while). I'm itching for something of that genre and scale lately, and unfortunately there's not a lot that fits the bill.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Release date for City of Mirrors is May 24th according to Cronin's Facebook page. A little later than I was hoping but not terrible.

Release date for City of Mirrors is May 24th according to Cronin's Facebook page. A little later than I was hoping but not terrible.
We need to start a reread sometimes in early 2016. Not sure I need to reread both of them though.

whiskeyguy

Donator
We need to start a reread sometimes in early 2016. Not sure I need to reread both of them though.
Yeah I was going to read both, but I've already read The Passage twice. If work gets slow I might read it again, but I'm sure there's a Youtube video with cliff notes for it, just to get back in the swing of things before reading the second one again.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Yeah I was going to read both, but I've already read The Passage twice. If work gets slow I might read it again, but I'm sure there's a Youtube video with cliff notes for it, just to get back in the swing of things before reading the second one again.
I'd reread the second for sure.

I tend to remember a lot about books I've read twice. The second reading tends to cement a lot of the details. Like you said, I probably need a refresher and that's about it. In fact, come to think of it, I actually remember large parts of The Twelve as well. Most of the important stuff for sure.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I tend to remember a lot about books I've read twice. The second reading tends to cement a lot of the details. Like you said, I probably need a refresher and that's about it. In fact, come to think of it, I actually remember large parts of The Twelve as well. Most of the important stuff for sure.
The second read is key for me if I want to really remember a story. I'm almost done with my second pass on Swan Song, and I'm amazed at how much I forgot. Same thing happened the second time I read The Passage, but I remember most of it now. The Twelve is a little hazy at this point.

The second read is key for me if I want to really remember a story. I'm almost done with my second pass on Swan Song, and I'm amazed at how much I forgot. Same thing happened the second time I read The Passage, but I remember most of it now. The Twelve is a little hazy at this point.
I need to reread Swan Song. One of my favorite post-apocalyptic books. I also want to get around to rereading Imajica by Clive Barker.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I need to reread Swan Song. One of my favorite post-apocalyptic books. I also want to get around to rereading Imajica by Clive Barker.
Never heard of Imajica, but the Goodreads description sure sells it.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Oh and in regards to Swan Song, I completely forgot about Mary's Rest. That's a pretty significant part of the book.

I like modern fantasy (meaning fantasy that doesn't take place in some medieval setting). This book is a prime example of it. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is another.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I like modern fantasy (meaning fantasy that doesn't take place in some medieval setting). This book is a prime example of it. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is another.
I don't mind "light fantasy" in my novels, but don't usually like the real heavy stuff. Swan Song, The Passage, and The Stand have the right amount, especially since all are set in my favorite scenario (post-apocalyptic), so I would even put up with heavier fantasy elements than I'd normally enjoy.

I don't mind "light fantasy" in my novels, but don't usually like the real heavy stuff. Swan Song, The Passage, and The Stand have the right amount, especially since all are set in my favorite scenario (post-apocalyptic), so I would even put up with heavier fantasy elements than I'd normally enjoy.
Have you ever read The Dark Tower series?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
I got the combo book back in high school and its massive. I have forgotten about the entire thing so maybe Ill dig it out and slog through it again.

If you read and enjoy Imajica give the Great and Secret Show and Evermore a shot, very King-style fantasy/horror if I remember correctly. Clive Barker is a weird guy.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I got the combo book back in high school and its massive. I have forgotten about the entire thing so maybe Ill dig it out and slog through it again.

If you read and enjoy Imajica give the Great and Secret Show and Evermore a shot, very King-style fantasy/horror if I remember correctly. Clive Barker is a weird guy.
If the story is really dark I can deal with a little more fantasy. I just hate when the natural "human" element of a story is overshadowed by the fantasy elements. King was usually really good at limiting the fantasy elements and focusing more on how regular people reacted to the situations he created.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
@whiskeyguy I found my copy, it was in one of the surface boxes of stuff I have in the basement. Thing needs a shoulder strap or something.