OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

The Pittsburgh Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Hoagie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Hoagie

Hoagie I suggest you tread lightly
    Wackbag Staff

There are only a handful of us here who are fans of Pittsburgh sports teams but I figure it wouldn't hurt to throw up a thread where we can discuss the Steelers, Pens, and Pirates away from the rest of the riff raff.

Tonight is the first preseason game for the Steelers and here are some things to keep an eye on:

The Offensive Line - Can they stay healthy? Will Mike Adams continue to develop on the left side? Has David DeCastro worked hard enough to gain the strength he needs to compete at the NFL level?

WR Depth - Antonio Brown, Emmanual Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, and Markus Wheaton (at least for now) have roster spots waiting for them but the question is who will be the 5th receiver? Plaxico Burress had the lead for the job in my opinion but now he's done with shoulder surgery. That leaves David Gilreath and Justin Brown most likely battling it out but there's always a chance a guy like Reggie Dunn or Derick Moye could come out of the blue.

RB Depth - Isaac Redman and Jonathon Dwyer will start off as the guys that will carry the load with LaRod Stephens-Howling handling the third downs. How much work will Le'Veon Bell earn? He could end up being the starter or he could be an afterthought this season or anything in between.

To Sack or Not To Sack - Will anyone sack the opposing QB this year? If so who will it be? Lamaar Woodley has been in a funk the last season and a half (partially due to injuries) and, while his performance tonight won't really give us much insight on what kind of season he will have, we will get a good look at Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones. One of the two figure to try to replace James Harrison. Chris Carter should be totally discounted in that race either though. It will also be interesting to watch the defensive ends and how they handle their new pass rushing roles.

Secondary Depth - Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen have pretty good strangle holds on their starting spots but with Allen being out for a few weeks it gives a chance to some of the other CBs to show what they can do to try and win the nickleback spot. William Gay will have the edge to start tonight. Hopefully we'll be getting the William Gay that had developed into a solid corner before he left Pittsburgh and not the shit heap he was early in his career. I won't hold going to Phoenix and sucking against him because that happens all the time to alot of good players. Curtis Brown will get a chance to once again prove he belongs on the roster. The most interesting prospect, however, is not a corner but a safety in Shmarko Thomas. He's impressed in camp so far and will open tonight as the nickleback.

Landry Jones - Everyone is aware of Roethlisberger's play style and the need for a quality backup QB. Bruce Gradkowski is a solid backup but you'd ideally like to have a backup that came up through your organization and not someone trying to adapt to yet another style of offense. Landry Jones could be the long term backup you can be comfortable with playing if need be that has been needed for the last couple years since Charlie Batch became too old. Hopefully Landry will show something and take that role so we can stop worrying about it.

2. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

My thread ban has been lifted!!! :D

I will stay out of here. Enjoy.

3. Sct Ptersns Twn

Sct Ptersns Twn Looking 4 a New 1st Mate

Mother Fucking IN!

1st - LETS GO BUCS GO! I am sure there will be trolls for this. There is no way any of these American League homos cannot give kudos for the job that my man Clint Hurdle is doing @ PNC. Not to mention the front office drafting and using the young lads to get it done on the diamond in PA. I am stoked to see the jolly roger raised in the 'Burgh.

I think the Steelers have a fighting chance in the AFC this year. All the spotlight is on the NFC IMO (Seattle, Redskins, Packers, Niners......etc.). I believe the AFC Norf is pretty even at the moment except for the Brownies of course (ya never know). I like the Landry Jones pick @QB, it could turn out to be the steal of the draft. He's not looking too good in camp, but I think it is jitters/expanded playbook and what not.

The 'O' line is always up in the air, enough said.

I think Le'Veon Bell will be just like the rest, a running fool. Granted, the offensive line stays intact(see above) hopefully he will be a straight up runner that can bust it out for 25+ carries a game (lol, I guy can dream)

The linebackers are suspects this year. Woodley needs to step up and stay out of the trainers office. This is Worilds time to shine, if he cannot get it done this year, he is done. I am itching to see what Mr. Landry Jones can do @ full speed with NFL linemen in his face. I have read a few 'interesting' articles about Shamarko Thomas. He seems to be a go getter, asking questions about schemes, coverages, etc. I hope he can take the place of an ailing Polamalu (in the future).

Overall, I think we will have a 10-6 year and make the playoffs.

in the mean time........

GO BUCKOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

I think Thomas is slated to replace Ryan Clark. He's a Clark type player. Good speed and can play some coverage and has a habit of coming up and laying the wood to people. Sean Spence was the guy that I think they hoped would take over the Polamalu role although he would have done it from linebacker instead of safety. It remains yet to be seen if he ever regains his speed and movement after that devastating knee injury last year.

5. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Le'Veon Bell was a late scratch but Stephens-Howling is making a play to get more work right now. He's finding some running room.

6. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

Best thread ever.

I totally forgot about the Steelers playing today. It still seems too early to be playing football. As usual, I have no idea how they'll be this year. I'm perpetually concerned about the offensive line.

Meanwhile, the Bucs. Holy shit, it still seems too good to be true. How great does that Russell Martin signing look now? I was worried when Grilli went down, but the bullpen hasn't missed a beat.

I was very surprised by the Pens hiring Jacques Martin, but I'm not complaining. Who knew he would even accept an assistant gig? I feel like an outsider's perspective will be nothing but good for the coaching staff and team.

Sct Ptersns Twn likes this.
  7. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

One thing that seems clear about the Steelers. They have talent in their starting line up but they're paper thin and the success they have this year will probably be determined by health.

I loved the Jacques Martin hiring. Not only is it an outside perspective coming in but it's an admission that an outside perspective was needed. Add that with the franchise's apparent acceptance that the salary cap will force them to actually deal with developing players and let them get experience instead of forgoing them for some guy with half their talent but twice their time in the league actually gives me a glimmer of hope.

8. Sct Ptersns Twn

That game gave little insight to what will happen this year, the first quarter was typical Steeler football (run, run, pass a little). That freaking Worlids kid needs to check himself, Lebeu is not gonna take much his shenanigans. That Stephen Howling kid looked good, the Steelers love restarting players careers. I really was looking forward to in seeing that Bell kid run though. Jarvis Jackson has promise I think.

Bucs still 4 games up !

9. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Having watched what Stephens-Howling did I'm hoping that a guy like Bell who has some quickness and a little more physicality to him might have a big year running the ball.

10. Sct Ptersns Twn

Starling Marte can suck a dick.

Konstantin K likes this.
  11. Konstantin K

All he has to do is hit 4 home runs tonight and I'll forgive him.

Sct Ptersns Twn likes this.
  12. DrewDown

DrewDown All are welcome

This thread is fucking bullshit.

Sincerely,

The rest of the world (but especially Cleveland)

:action-sm

Konstantin K likes this.
  13. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

So far this offensive line has been so bad that they should be tried for crimes against humanity. Credit to William Gay though who had perfect coverage on that 3rd and 5 play.

14. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Jarvis Jones is making a case to not be considered a bust.

15. Konstantin K

Landry Jones engineering a nice drive.

16. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

He doesn't look as completely awful as he has and it was nice to see Penn State grad Derek Moye get the touchdown catch. Fuck Justin Brown.

17. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Shamarko Thomas just destroyed that running back. He caused a fumble. The running back is lucky that's all he lost.

18. Sct Ptersns Twn

If this game/half was nay indication of the season........I think the scouts need to go to a lot of NCAA games for the draft, and the wallets need to be opened up for some O-linemen, holy mother of god. Not to mention Todd is a fucking non play calling ass.

19. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

This preseseason has not been any kind of indication of the season. I'm pretty confident about that. I'm not going to say that the team will come out and blow the doors off the league but this preseason has been about testing people and not team results. You'll find a lot of gloom and doom surrounding the team right now from the media and some of it is deserved but it's not as bad as many make out.

Just look at this year's draft class. We lauded last year's draft class from the moment the draft ended as potentially one of the best ever. This year's draft class looked decent but nothing special until two preseason games have been played and, while Le'Veon Bell has been hurt and hasn't had the chance to show much, Jarvis Jones has shown flashes of brilliance and is making it very hard to justify not starting him in game 1, Markus Wheaton has been impressing to the point where I'm not sure he will won't have taken Cotchery's slot position by game 1 and possibly the most impressive of all has been Shamarko Thomas. He was advertised as a big hitter and he was crushing running backs in that Washington game. This draft has a real chance to produce 4 impact players.

20. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Le'Veon Bell is out for 6 weeks with a Lisfranc injury. This should surprise no one.

21. Sct Ptersns Twn

Jesus Christ now what? The same ole core of RB's with a makeshift line. When does the puck drop?

22. Sct Ptersns Twn

Felix Jones in the house......for LB Adrian Robinson. (not sure if so serious)

23. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

It should be interesting to see who gets cut to open the cap space for this one. I doubt all the backs will be kept when Bell returns.

24. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

Like clockwork Jarvis Jones has been taken to the hospital for further examination for the chest injury he sustained tonight. We just can't catch a break with injuries ever.

25. Hoagie

Wackbag Staff

So I was watching HBO's Hard Knocks last night and one of the Bengal's players is driving to the stadium with his young son in the car. The kid is probably 6 or 7 years old and he the player asks his daughter who her favorite player is and she says him. Then he asks who her second favorite player is and she says someone else. Then his son who is sitting in the back of the car next to her asks "Daddy, are you going to beat the Steelers this year?"

It really made me wonder if there is another team that has been so dominant for so long that, for other teams in that team's division, it is engrained in them that beating that team is such a huge goal that it's the first thing on their children's minds.