The Simpsons have a Home-r

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
SPRINGFIELD, Vt. (AP) - It's Duff time in Springfield, Vt., which on Tuesday was proclaimed the official hometown of TV's favorite dysfunctional family, the Simpsons.

The southeastern Vermont community beat out 13 other Springfields for the honor, which includes hosting the premiere of "The Simpsons Movie" on July 26th.

20th Century Fox ran an online poll on the USA Today Web site inviting people to vote for their favorite among 14 videos submitted by the competing Springfields.

Springfield, Vt., came late to the competition, getting in after the head of the local Chamber of Commerce saw a news report on it and asked to be involved.

"We're so excited," said Patricia Chaffee, vice president of the Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce. "We came in at the last minute, and for us to win, we feel like the underdogs, which makes this so big and so great for us."

The town of 9,300 was the smallest in population among the communities entered. It put together a video showing a local TV personality playing Homer Simpson and chasing a giant, pink doughnut through the town.

Gov. Jim Douglas issued a statement congratulating the town.

"This is an exciting, exhilarating moment for Vermonters," he said. "Perhaps more importantly, it proves there's really nothing a giant doughnut can't do. To all the other Springfields, I say "Don't have a cow, man."

According to USA Today, the 13 other Springfields that participated in the contest will be given small screenings of their own the night before the movie opens nationwide July 27.
i always thought they would go with ohio

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I take it this is pure movie promotion bullshit, and has nothing to do with which springfield has the most references in the series..

I always thought it was between Ohio and Massachusetts, with care taken to make it almost both but not exactly either one. I also thought Shelbyville was the other one.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
I take it this is pure movie promotion bullshit, and has nothing to do with which springfield has the most references in the series..

I always thought it was between Ohio and Massachusetts, with care taken to make it almost both but not exactly either one. I also thought Shelbyville was the other one.
i thought this was fucking dumb too. springfield was chosen as the simpsons city because there is a springfield everywhere. so the show identified with the whole country and not just one shit state. stupid promotions.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
Vermont can have it on the condition that the "Spider Pig, Spider Pig, does whatever a Spider Pig does" thing gets removed from the movie.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Vermont can have it on the condition that the "Spider Pig, Spider Pig, does whatever a Spider Pig does" thing gets removed from the movie.
they have really ran out of ideas. i hate the whole homer being slamed between a "a rock and a hard place." that such a tired and worn out cliche.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Should have been Oregon since that's where Matt's from. Harrumph.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
I guess I ma a mongoloid cause I found that pretty funny when i saw the trailer in the theater.

OOoOOoOoOoO 4000!!!! :cool-smil :jump:rockon":jump:cool-smil

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I always thought it was Illinois, even though a lot of the episodes feature an "Ocean" or something like that.

I don't know why I thought Illinois, I guess because it's close-ish to me, but also because they make alot of East St.Louis references...So I thought it was close to EastSTL, thus Illinois

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
I'm one of the few Simpsons fans that still appreciates the show, enjoys many of the new episodes, and doesn't think the show died after Conan O'Brien left.

But I have no idea why Matt Groenig waited over 18 years to put this movie out. Mid-90s was the time. They got beaten out by South Park and even Family Guy (if you could the "Stewie Griffin Story" as a movie). Nothing in the trailer looks all that funny which makes me sad inside.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I hate when they do shit like this.

Just leave it a mystery, it was funny.
yea i realy thought that was going to be the gag, put on his huge contest then screw every one, now that would have been funny. this is just a tad dumb. i still will go see it

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
yea i realy thought that was going to be the gag, put on his huge contest then screw every one, now that would have been funny. this is just a tad dumb. i still will go see it
I didn't figure they would screw everyone completely, but rather give every springfield the same 'recognition package'. Even 100k of advertising swag to each applicant would probably give a decent return.. Weather channel shows 32 springfields in the US, so that'd only tack 3.2meg on the budget.

I'll definitely watch, but I'm content to wait till winter when netflix has it..

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I guess I ma a mongoloid cause I found that pretty funny when i saw the trailer in the theater.
I guess I'm not cool either because I enjoyed a good chortle when I saw that too. Lil' filthy pig hoof prints on the ceiling.

And I always thought it was Ohio or Illinois. Either way I preferred the unknown. Movie promotions are such bullshit (see Transformers/Chevy/VH1 tie-ins.)

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
The way I read the article, they only chose a city to host the premiere, not make any sort of proclamation that the show takes place in that state.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
the show hasn't been good since season 9. it's been unwatchable since season 14. if you're still watching and are going to see the film, you deserve what you get.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The way I read the article, they only chose a city to host the premiere, not make any sort of proclamation that the show takes place in that state.
SPRINGFIELD, Vt. (AP) - It's Duff time in Springfield, Vt., which on Tuesday was proclaimed the official hometown of TV's favorite dysfunctional family, the Simpsons.

I interpreted this as where it takes place..

edit:
I also re-read the article and noticed only 13 out of the 32 Springfields in the US bothered to enter.
That doesn't bode well for people giving a shit.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
the show hasn't been good since season 9. it's been unwatchable since season 14. if you're still watching and are going to see the film, you deserve what you get.
I wouldn't say unwatchable, although that may be because I haven't been watching it.

Maybe unwatchable if you think back to how great it used to be.

I doubt I'll see the movie in theatres though. Trailers did nothing for me.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
I always thought it was Illinois, even though a lot of the episodes feature an "Ocean" or something like that.

I don't know why I thought Illinois, I guess because it's close-ish to me, but also because they make alot of East St.Louis references...So I thought it was close to EastSTL, thus Illinois
Springfield, Illinois is the only Springfield that's also a state capital.

I am looking forward to the movie, I still think the show is funny.

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
Simpsons post 97-98=Homer goes on a crazy adventure, which is what this movie looks like its going to be.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
Don't know how you can stay that considering Season 9 was mostly garbage (the New York episode, Skinner's clone, the fucking all singing, all dancing embarrassment).

There have been some excellent eps of The Simpsons since 1998 (which is when you claim the magic died). Not sure if you haven't watched them, or you're just bashing them because it's what most former fans of the show do.

That being said, I have no intention of watching this film in the theaters, but I'll likely buy the DVD if there's enough extras.

EvilHomerJ666

Oct 16, 2006
Spencer, NC
About the debate of where Springfield is. In the Behind the Laughter episode they say they are from eastern Kentucky. Take it as you will be it's clear thats what they say.

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
The whole concept of naming an official Springfield for the Simpsons is retarded to begin with because on the show Springfield has had practically every natural and man-made environment in the country and beyond. Springfield has been a small town, a large city, it's been land-locked, its had a waterfront, it has snowed there, there has been a desert, a canyon, a snow-covered mountain range, forests, beaches... Do I need to keep going? Anyway, I'm just saying the whole idea and conversation was moot right from the start.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
If you spend any energy trying to determine where Springfield actually is, you live a rather dull life. Just accept that it's anywhere, and you'll instantly be happier.