The Sisters Brothers - 2018 - Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Joaquin Phoenix and John C. Reilly

I wish I could tell you Andy fought the good fight, and the Sisters Brothers let him be.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
To be serious, Joaquin is one of my favorite actors right now. You Were Never Really Here is my best of 2018.

I really just wanted to praise YWNRH. It's amazing.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
To be serious, Joaquin is one of my favorite actors right now. You Were Never Really Here is my best of 2018.

I really just wanted to praise YWNRH. It's amazing.
Might as well praise it now if you’re seeing Solo tomorrow. You’re gonna have a new bestest movie of 2018.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Tanked at the box office badly, and I understand why. It's disjointed and uneven. Some middling to good performances, but that's it.

LiddyRules

Tanked at the box office badly, and I understand why. It's disjointed and uneven. Some middling to good performances, but that's it.
I liked the performances (I thought Reilly/Phoenix had good chemistry and would like to see more of their adventures) and some of the nuances of the old West (like when Reilly is poisoned by the spider), but the weakest part for me was the climax (the river). It happens so suddenly and quickly that it felt rushed and you didn't realize what was happening until it had already passed.

Floyd1977

Seems confusing as to what it was. Was it a comedy, real western, both? Seems like the marketing was a prime factor in the movie failure at the box office.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Seems confusing as to what it was. Was it a comedy, real western, both? Seems like the marketing was a prime factor in the movie failure at the box office.
The book is equally serious and comedic. The problem here, notwithstanding that he's the reason the film was made, is that Reilly is so very typecast by his past idiot roles, that I think folks thought this would be more funny than it is. In the end, I think him taking the starring role was what led to the failure; not so much the marketing. Even the worse marketing can be tempered by word of mouth, but there wasn't any beyond good reviews. Reilly obviously thought he could deliver a Coen Bros. level of western comedy here, but it just didn't work.

Have to say it's not that Reilly's bad, though. He's serviceable in his role, and Phoenix even more so in his own, but no great performance either. It's Gyllenhaal who actively flexes his acting muscles as if he were aiming for an Oscar, but comes off as a pretentious fop compared to the other characters (even more than what's intended within the story). I really had a feeling he didn't expect the film to play as it did, or else he wouldn't have signed on. Overall, I think it would have been saved were the brothers played by, say, a Bale and Rockwell instead.

LiddyRules

The book is equally serious and comedic. The problem here, notwithstanding that he's the reason the film was made, is that Reilly is so very typecast by his past idiot roles, that I think folks thought this would be more funny than it is. In the end, I think him taking the starring role was what led to the failure; not so much the marketing. Even the worse marketing can be tempered by word of mouth, but there wasn't any beyond good reviews. Reilly obviously thought he could deliver a Coen Bros. level of western comedy here, but it just didn't work.

Have to say it's not that Reilly's bad, though. He's serviceable in his role, and Phoenix even more so in his own, but no great performance either. It's Gyllenhaal who actively flexes his acting muscles as if he were aiming for an Oscar, but comes off as a pretentious fop compared to the other characters (even more than what's intended within the story). I really had a feeling he didn't expect the film to play as it did, or else he wouldn't have signed on. Overall, I think it would have been saved were the brothers played by, say, a Bale and Rockwell instead.
I think the casting was fine, and I think the tone was fine. It was a dark comedy set in the West.

Here's my problem and it ties into the climax, which is what I complained about earlier. It felt like the formula Riz Ahmed came up with bordered on science fiction. Not crazy movie sci-fi, but genuine science fiction (technology more advanced for the time). And even though it wasn't crazy technology (e.g. it wasn't some steam punk mechanical spider) and was believable within the universe, at the same time, I felt it didn't fit the rest of the movie, which was fairly grounded.