Movie The Stand movie

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
There have been rumblings lately that Warners is looking to adapt The Stand into a 2-film project. Now word has come down that they've picked a director . . . Ben Affleck? "whaa"

Ben Affleck Warner Bros Choice To Make ‘The Stand’

By MIKE FLEMING | Friday October 21, 2011 @ 6:54pm EDT

Warner Bros has chosen Ben Affleck to adapt and direct The Stand, Stephen King’s apocalyptic mammoth book. Affleck has become a cornerstone director for the studio, but this would be his greatest challenge yet. Even King has been reticent about the idea of making a feature of his book, which previously was turned into a miniseries. With The Town and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has shown the grit necessary to handle such an unforgettable tale. It’s early days, but the studio loves Affleck, who’s now directing Argo.
Link

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
M-O-O-N that means "stop it with all the fucking remakes and reimagining"

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
M-O-O-N that means "stop it with all the fucking remakes and reimagining"
It's not technically a remake because the old one was a mini-series and this is a movie or movies. Kinda like the TV version of the Shinning wasn't a remake of the movie.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Didnt Affleck direct The Town? Id give him a shot, even though he seems to be a Scorsese wanna be.

It's not technically a remake because the old one was a mini-series and this is a movie or movies. Kinda like the TV version of the Shinning wasn't a remake of the movie.
Holy shit, I totally forgot about the Shining TV show. What a steaming pile of dog vomit that was.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't know about Affleck doing this, but The Stand is something I wouldn't mind seeing done again. The miniseries was enjoyable because the story was good, but really it was made quit horribly.

Stephen King needs to stick to his 30-second cameo in this one.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I recently watched The Stand and was highly disappointed. It was bad, even for a Stephen King movie. I remember the book being fantastic; the movie/ miniseries was not.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
i think I'd watch part 1 and skip part 2. I never cared for the second half of the book.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The miniseries was well done, but it's dated. I might not mind seeing this done. One thing is for sure. If Gary Sinise isn't involved, it'll be shit. He was perfect in the miniseries. I'd even bring back Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I recently watched The Stand and was highly disappointed. It was bad, even for a Stephen King movie. I remember the book being fantastic; the movie/ miniseries was not.
I was watching that the other day too. I remember seeing it when it first aired, and at the time I thought it was okay, but it really hasn't held up too well. I still think that Silver Bullet which came out around ten years earlier (based on the story Cycle Of The Werewolf) holds up a hell of alot better.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The giant hand of God was pretty gay

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Between Gone Baby Gone and The Town i'll give it a chance.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
The miniseries was well done, but it's dated. I might not mind seeing this done. One thing is for sure. If Gary Sinise isn't involved, it'll be shit. He was perfect in the miniseries. I'd even bring back Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg.
It wasn't well done. And it's horribly dated. But I do think the casting was great.

"He didn't even know the capital of Iowa"

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Sinise was great but he might be too old for the part now. Sheridan did a decent job... now I may be crazy here but I think Kurt Russell could pull of a Randall Flagg pretty damn well. His character in Death Proof kinda matched what I always thought Flagg would be like after reading the novel.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Sinise was great but he might be too old for the part now. Sheridan did a decent job... now I may be crazy here but I think Kurt Russell could pull of a Randall Flagg pretty damn well. His character in Death Proof kinda matched what I always thought Flagg would be like after reading the novel.
They had the same haircut. I bet that's what led you to that idea. Great idea, too. Kurt Russel would be great in that role. If Gary Sinise is too old, how about Aaron Paul? Though he might be better in the pop singer character, whatever his name was.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
What about Sinise as Randall Flagg?
Interesting, but I don't buy him as the bad guy in this. Maybe if he weren't originally involved.

Knowing Hollywood this will be the cast:

Stu: Seth Rogan
Frannie: Lindsay Lohan
Flagg: Adam Sandler
Tom Cullen: Justin Bieber
Mother Abigail: Eddie Murphy

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
They had the same haircut. I bet that's what led you to that idea. Great idea, too. Kurt Russel would be great in that role. If Gary Sinise is too old, how about Aaron Paul? Though he might be better in the pop singer character, whatever his name was.
Paul would be great as the pop singer actually.

Interesting, but I don't buy him as the bad guy in this. Maybe if he weren't originally involved.

Knowing Hollywood this will be the cast:

Stu: Seth Rogan
Frannie: Lindsay Lohan
Flagg: Adam Sandler
Tom Cullen: Justin Bieber
Mother Abigail: Eddie Murphy
You forgot where Affleck inserts himself into the movie... I personally bet he plays Captain Trips somehow...

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I really like Affleck's previous movies, but I don't know about this. I'd like to see Duncan Jones or Neill Blomkamp take on "The Stand".

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I really like Affleck's previous movies, but I don't know about this. I'd like to see Duncan Jones or Neill Blomkamp take on "The Stand".
I was kinda thinking John Hillcoat might be good for this project. He would be great if they wanted to go for a grittier and darker look.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Two movies? At most six hours? I think you would need about ten to tell that story well. But what the fuck do I know?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Michael Bay. Also, Captain Tripps turns everyone into Zombies.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Two movies? At most six hours? I think you would need about ten to tell that story well. But what the fuck do I know?
I can definitely see it being enough. It's only one book. GoT gets 10 hours per book, and it's considered a fuck of a lot. Plus I think there is a belated, growing consensus that King (nerd and overrated writer that he is) goes wrong a lot. That's not to say that I don't think he should have released the expanded version with 300+ new pages of character development. It was the shit, and maybe one of the best ever decisions in the literature universe. But still, it's King. Maybe there were some portions from the original version that were drawn-out and unnecessary.