Movie The Stand movie

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Randall Flagg is Captain Tripps, an officer who accidentally unleashes the virus. He'll be played by Taylor Lautner or Liam Neeson. And the chick played by the chick from Just Shoot Me, will show her giant tits. And it'll be sweet. Also, there'll be robots like in Terminator Salvation. And there'll be a scene in the trailer where whomever is playing Gary Sinise says "It's time for us to take...a stand." And Mother Abagail will be played by the Popeye's Chicken lady.

(Honestly, I'm willing to put faith in Affleck since I've liked both of his offerings, but this is just fun.)

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Liam Neeson would play Randall Flagg and he'd be just as dark and forgettable as in the horrible clash of the Titans remake.

I liked the scene in the mini series when randall Flagg is singing that song, "baby can you dig your man". For some reason it just cracks me up.

Concerning the Liam in Clash of the titans....I got my 8 year old niece to yell, "Release the Krakken!" whenever my sis-in-law would tell her to do something. Fuckin hilarious. She'll still do it every now and then.

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Paul would be great as the pop singer actually.

You forgot where Affleck inserts himself into the movie... I personally bet he plays Captain Trips somehow...

Affleck would play Nick. Which I was stunned at how well Rob Lowe played in the miniseries.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
I'd enjoy a film of this. I think it would probably resonate more today than the miniseries did then with the added anxieties of drug-resistant diseases and terrorism.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I just don't see how you can do this in one movie.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I just don't see how you can do this in one movie.
It really should be two movies, perhaps cut the first one off when everyone reaches Boulder.

BIV

It really should be two movies, perhaps cut the first one off when everyone reaches Boulder.
You know they are going to end up cutting out damn near all the Boulder stuff. Thrashy's journey, just about all the undercover stuff.

You just can't do it in one movie and do it any justice. Hell, you could do a whole film just one the first section when Trips is spreading, a second on the journey and the third after Boulder.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
You know they are going to end up cutting out damn near all the Boulder stuff. Thrashy's journey, just about all the undercover stuff.

You just can't do it in one movie and do it any justice. Hell, you could do a whole film just one the first section when Trips is spreading, a second on the journey and the third after Boulder.
Agreed. Two would be minimal to cover it to the extent the novel justifies. I liked the shit in Boulder too, trying to rebuild society... hell even this issues with getting the power back on was interesting. That will be five minutes (if that) of the movie.

BIV

'The Stand' Gets New Director as Ben Affleck Returns to Passable Acting
August 23, 2013 / ben affleck, movie, news, scott cooper, stephen king, the stand

As you've no doubt realized by now, the internet is totally flipping out over the news that Ben Affleck is officially not directing Stephen King's The Stand anymore. Hey, calm down, everyone! It's going to be alright, as Warner Bros. and CBS Films have already found someone new to take over the planned trilogy. Now Crazy Heart director Scott Cooper has reportedly entered talks to rewrite and direct the post-apocalyptic epic.

Cooper's sophomore effort, the upcoming thriller Out of the Furnace, scored an impressive lineup that includes Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Forest Whitaker, Willem Dafoe, and Zoe Saldana, and it's hoped he'll be able to attract some similarly-big names for the swollen cast of The Stand. Sadly, Ben Affleck will not be available to play "The Rat Man," as he'll be busy playing The Bat Man. Had you heard that yet?
http://iwatchstuff.com/2013/08/the-stand-gets-new-director-as-ben-affle.php

LiddyRules

The Hobbit.

I'm not saying that trilogies don't work, period. And I haven't read The Stand in years. But I'm asking, is the story good yet simple enough and the characters interesting enough for general audiences to be willing to go back to it (at least) every year for three years? Lord of the Rings was simple. There were elves and trolls and hobbits, so even if you didn't care about the characters, they were fantasy creatures so it didn't entirely matter because a) a lot of it was about the effects, the zany universe, and the crazy battles and b) the characters were simple.

Would the more "grounded" Stand have a similar appeal? What if the characters are more complex? Would that be a good thing or bad thing if you're spending two and a half hours with them annually? Alternatively, if they're not more complex, they don't have the "it's a wizard" defense. If it's just a bunch of bland humans walking around, would you really look forward to the next one?

Similarly, if they're planning this as a trilogy, they need to fill it simultaneously like with LotR. Waiting two, three years, for the next installment of The Stand seems ridiculous. And you don't want a disappointment like Prometheus, World War Z, or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that are purported to be a trilogy, but that allows the studio to hold off on making sequel decisions for years at which point no one cares.

That's why I said an HBO miniseries. It's not that I don't think there's enough content. I just don't think the content would fit waiting three years to complete the journey.

Could we have something if they combined it into a series of films that features the Dark Tower series? Who the hell owns the rights to that now a days anyways?

BIV

A cinematic trilogy seems like a bit much. An epic HBO miniseries, sure. But making it into a film trilogy seems a bit much.
I agree, actually. And HBO miniseries would be ideal. A trilogy, for me, would be option #2 but far more likely since I don't see the HBO thing happening and I don't trust anyone else with a miniseries.

DiggerNick

Donator
Could we have something if they combined it into a series of films that features the Dark Tower series? Who the hell owns the rights to that now a days anyways?
THE DARK TOWER is unfilmable. At least, the last three books are.

THE STAND is the greatest novel of the 20th century. Deny that and you are a faggot.

It needs nothing less than thirteen hours of huge-budget HBO treatment to realise it in a satisfying way.

ScottFromGA

I cum into socks.
no no...no, fuck no. why remake The Stand? The miniseries wasn't THAT fucking bad......M-O-O-N spells Fuck Remakes.

LiddyRules

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/34805/king-s-the-stand-becomes-four-films

King's "The Stand" Becomes Four Films

Since the upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King's epic novel "The Stand" was announced several years ago, there has been a lot of confusion regarding how many films it will take to adapt the 1152-page book.
"The Fault in Our Stars" director Josh Boone has been attached to write and direct for some time so he has been asked the question in various interviews. Up until now he had indicated that the studio was only targeting a one or two-part film adaptation.

However, in a new interview with Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble-On Podcast, he clarified that the actual film count will be higher. In fact, the adaptation will now reportedly span four movies. Here he explains the expansion and how the project is a bit further along than you may expect with some of the cast already in place:

"I really wanted to do an A-list actor, really grounded, credible version of the movie. I sold them on that and they hired me... I sold them on a single, three hour movie.

I went and got [Stephen] King sold on it, everybody's really excited... I told the story non-linear and that was the way I was able to compress that book and get everything into that script. You open with Mother Abigail dying and sending the guys off, and then you jump back in time.

So what happened is the script gets finished, I write it in like five months, everybody loves it, (Stephen) King loves it, $87 million is what it was budgeted at, really expensive for a horror drama that doesn't have set pieces.

They came back and said 'would you do it as multiple films?' and I said 'f--k yes!' I loved my script, and I was willing to drop it in an instant because you're able to do an even truer version that way. So I think we are going to do like four movies. I can't tell you anything about how we're going to do them, or what's going to be in which movie.

I'll just say we are going to do four movies, and we're going to do The Stand at the highest level you can do it at, with a cast that's going to blow people's minds. We've already been talking to lots of people, and have people on board in certain roles that people don't know about. We're looking to go into production next year, maybe in the spring."

Boone didn't talk about the rumor in August that Matthew McConaughey is being eyed to play the villain of the film - Randall Flagg.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
If I can't get Trashy jerking off The Kid while he's ass r aped with a pistol I want no part of this.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
And if these shit series like Hunger Games and Twilight can get 4 movies than this certainly deserves the same respect