The Sublime appreciation thread

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Fuck if I don't miss this band. I've always loved them, but lately I'm really getting into them again hardcore. I just picked up the "Stories, Tales, Lies & Exaggerations" DVD and thought it was fantastic. There's an interview with Brads wife where she says how much he loved life and how she knows how pissed off he must be at what happened. Really got to me, I can't even imagine what could have been for these guys. Fucking sad waste of talent, Brad was a lyrical genius.

R.I.P. Brad and Lou Dog

highway23

I miss NY wings
Brad was the shit, and the band did a true injustice in trying to get a copycat singer to fill in for him.

I've been wanting to check out that DVD, haven't gotten around to it though.

These guys were great

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Some of the greatest music ever made. I love 40 oz., listen to it often.

If you're looking for some of the same check out Pepper, and also Slightly Stoopid...The singer in Pepper sounds just like Brad. Slightly Stoopid has an album called Longest Barrel Ride that's about as close to Sublime as you can get.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate

If you're looking for some of the same check out Pepper, and also Slightly Stoopid...The singer in Pepper sounds just like Brad. Slightly Stoopid has an album called Longest Barrel Ride that's about as close to Sublime as you can get.
My 40 disc is almost see through at this point.

I've been checking out Pepper and I do like them. I hear they're accused of being rip offs but, Sublime had such an original thing going, anyone that sounds close to that will be called rip offs.

I'll be checking out Slightly Stoopid tomorrow....thank's for the heads up.

pure_waves

My pleasure. I also forgot Long Beach Dub Allstars which have Bud and Erik in the band, and Long Beach Shortbus too. Not as Sublimey, but the same vibe. Let me know what you think. Later!

There is just no replacement for Sublime. RIP

Brad was an absolute genius and they're music was amazing.. really fucking tragic that it ended the way it did, didn't get to see his son grow up or the success of their best album.

The stories, lies DVD is great, but a little depressing.

hmmmm lets see, a band that ripped off Bad Brains and Pennywise and a singer who was selfish by o'ding on heroin leaving behind a two year old son and a bunch of fratboys and fake stoners who think that 40. oz to freedom is sooooo deeeeeppp...Great Band!

pure_waves

Sublime may draw upon alot of influences but they definitely came up with a heap of good & original songs in their short career.

Every band draws upon their influences when making music and I dont think you can honestly say Sublime ripped Bad Brains off. Similarities, sure. But I dont think they sat around and said, let's rip off Bad Brains. Did Metallica rip off Diamond Head, or did they love their music and wanna play the style they liked?

Talent wise, aside from the mainstream releases theres a ton of amazing and original Sublime stuff out there which showcases Brad's skills. I used to have a bootleg of theirs with about 30 minutes of Brad freestyling and the band jamming. The flow and sound was great as they switched from reggae to ska to punk.

That guy had alot of talent, too bad he fucking wasted it. Really pissed me off that we are deprived of his gift because of his weakness.

I liked them when I was 15, I found better stuff since. I used to listen to them a lot though.

Monster_Rain893

Registered User .
Sublime is good stuff, but as a guitarist I cant stand to play it, the shit is just too simple . . . it would drive me fucking mad.

Sublime is one of my absolute favorites. I have the Behind the Music on them somewhere around my house, the story they told about the morning he OD'd is so sad. I don't know anyone who claims it's deep music, it's just very pleasant on the ears to me. I love the Acoustic Bradley Nowell and Friends CD, and Freeway Time in L.A. County Jail is one of my favorite songs ever.

I can't help but imagine what kind of stuff they would have come up with if Brad hadn't overdosed.

Frankie_Ballz

wear no bag, spread the hiv
I love sublime, but have always kind of resented brad for what he did and making us all miss out on so much possible good music.

k5banga

Sublime is good stuff, but as a guitarist I cant stand to play it, the shit is just too simple . . . it would drive me fucking mad.

But the bassist is fucking great, i love the bass lines for "santeria"

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
I am very much the same way, but if the chord progressions sound good, sometimes less is more

hmmmm lets see, a band that ripped off Bad Brains and Pennywise and a singer who was selfish by o'ding on heroin leaving behind a two year old son and a bunch of fratboys and fake stoners who think that 40. oz to freedom is sooooo deeeeeppp...Great Band!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fucking awesome post bro.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Loved Sublime...fun...simple...relaxing..great music to just chill and drink too always reminds me of summer for some reason

Fuck if I don't miss this band. I've always loved them, but lately I'm really getting into them again hardcore. I just picked up the "Stories, Tales, Lies & Exaggerations" DVD and thought it was fantastic. There's an interview with Brads wife where she says how much he loved life and how she knows how pissed off he must be at what happened. Really got to me, I can't even imagine what could have been for these guys. Fucking sad waste of talent, Brad was a lyrical genius.

R.I.P. Brad and Lou Dog
Dude, did you ever smoke pot by any chance?

Good bass music. I'll agree that the guitar parts are about as exciting as "Go Tell Aunt Rhody".

Vic Mackey

Jay Marriotti is a heiney-bird
Used to like them, but commercial radio killed most all of their songs. I actually hate "What I Got" and "Wrong Way" now.

Dopie Opie

I loved the first self titled cd and Back With a Bong.....

" T Shirts, titties hose them down
Swollen nipples big and brown"

Crucial BBQ

Oops worng thread....Though we were in the Murphy's Law appreciatation thread.