The who killed Vince storyline from 2008

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Alvarez:
Since it was brought up on the radio shows this week, here is what the plan had been for Vince McMahon after he blew up in a limo several years back. None of this ever took place since shortly thereafter Chris Benoit went on his murder/suicide rampage and the entire storyline was dropped. The original idea was to be along the lines of the famous Dallas soap opera storyline of who shot JR (even though I was only six or seven at the time, I remember this vividly since I used to spend the night at Granny's house every Friday night and she'd always be watching Dallas religiously). Vince's entire family was going to return to TV in full force, including his real-life brother Rod McMahon and his family. Rod lives (or at least did at the time) in North Carolina and has pretty much zero contact with Vince. The company had actually contacted him and he'd agreed to show up for Vince's funeral, but of course that never took place, and no contact was ever made with Rod again. I can't remember who it was, but at one point someone on one of our radio shows years back when we used to have the former WWE writers on during WrestleMania weekend mentioned that Vince, while gone in storyline, would be amassing a HOBO ARMY to try to reclaim his throne upon returning. That was never the case, although there were preliminary discussions about how when Vince was gone he'd grow out his hair and beard and fingernails and basically play a Howard Hughes-style recluse character. Those ideas never got very far. In the end there was going to be a full investigation into who killed Vince, and it would be revealed that Mr. Kennedy (the now-Mr. Anderson in Aces and Eights in TNA) would reveal himself to be the illegitimate son of Vince. The long-term idea -- and keep in mind at this point there was really no such thing as long-term ideas because Vince still changed his mind on a dime -- was that there would be a number of swerves leading to a will being discovered. It would lead to a big reveal on Raw that Vince left the company to Kennedy, and the storyline would be either that Kennedy got the company or there would be a battle between Kennedy and Stephanie/Shane where whoever was the most ruthless would end up with it. This was going to play out all the way to WrestleMania 24, where Vince would make his triumphant return, side with Kennedy, and presumably it would go on from there.

--

Wonder if it would have played out well.
Interesting though

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Hobo army sounds like the greatest thing that would have ever happened in wrestling. Someone should make a hobo faction now.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That would've been fucking horrendous. Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn should never be left alone in a room. They come up with pages upon pages of pure garbage when they are. Kevin probably thought that this was the storyline that was finally going to win him an Emmy.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
The only thing I like about this angle, is that they would have played it up for months until wrestlemania. They don't do that shit anymore. Everything else about it fucking eats balls.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
That would've been fucking horrendous. Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn should never be left alone in a room. They come up with pages upon pages of pure garbage when they are. Kevin probably thought that this was the storyline that was finally going to win him an Emmy.
Wrestling doesn't have to be so serious. A hobo army would have been hilarious.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No it wouldn't. I have no problem with comedy in wrestling (the hobo army is still a bit much), but I have no faith that WWE could make it work. It would've been douchechilly and awful.

Gorilla Pimp

Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Honest question... what's more important to you guys? Angles/Storylines or in ring ability? I watched a Bobby Heenan shoot and he was talking about "workers". I don't remember the exact quote, but it was somehting along the lines of "People think the term worker means someone with great in ring ability.... you can have the best wrestling matches in the world and if nobody is there to see it, who cares? A worker is someone who puts asses in the seats. Hogan is the best worker of all time"

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I know it is sociopathic dogshit but that is the brilliance of it. WWE doesn't have the balls to do things like that any more despite calling itself
"sports entertainment" and "soap opera for men" 5000 times a RAW.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Alvarez:
Since it was brought up on the radio shows this week, here is what the plan had been for Vince McMahon after he blew up in a limo several years back. None of this ever took place since shortly thereafter Chris Benoit went on his murder/suicide rampage and the entire storyline was dropped. The original idea was to be along the lines of the famous Dallas soap opera storyline of who shot JR (even though I was only six or seven at the time, I remember this vividly since I used to spend the night at Granny's house every Friday night and she'd always be watching Dallas religiously). Vince's entire family was going to return to TV in full force, including his real-life brother Rod McMahon and his family. Rod lives (or at least did at the time) in North Carolina and has pretty much zero contact with Vince. The company had actually contacted him and he'd agreed to show up for Vince's funeral, but of course that never took place, and no contact was ever made with Rod again. I can't remember who it was, but at one point someone on one of our radio shows years back when we used to have the former WWE writers on during WrestleMania weekend mentioned that Vince, while gone in storyline, would be amassing a HOBO ARMY to try to reclaim his throne upon returning. That was never the case, although there were preliminary discussions about how when Vince was gone he'd grow out his hair and beard and fingernails and basically play a Howard Hughes-style recluse character. Those ideas never got very far. In the end there was going to be a full investigation into who killed Vince, and it would be revealed that Mr. Kennedy (the now-Mr. Anderson in Aces and Eights in TNA) would reveal himself to be the illegitimate son of Vince. The long-term idea -- and keep in mind at this point there was really no such thing as long-term ideas because Vince still changed his mind on a dime -- was that there would be a number of swerves leading to a will being discovered. It would lead to a big reveal on Raw that Vince left the company to Kennedy, and the storyline would be either that Kennedy got the company or there would be a battle between Kennedy and Stephanie/Shane where whoever was the most ruthless would end up with it. This was going to play out all the way to WrestleMania 24, where Vince would make his triumphant return, side with Kennedy, and presumably it would go on from there.

--

Wonder if it would have played out well.
Interesting though
That was from 2007, not 2008.

Gorilla Pimp

Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know it is sociopathic dogshit but that is the brilliance of it. WWE doesn't have the balls to do things like that any more despite calling itself
"sports entertainment" and "soap opera for men" 5000 times a RAW.
i have no problem with the PG shit that the message board wrasslin fans whine about. You don't have to show tits or curse to keep me interested. They just need to stop force feeding shit the people don't want down their throats. Build wrestling angles and fueds that last for months at a time. Give the champions title reigns more than a week and stop having title matches every night. Make the undercard matches mean something. Stop making one of your biggest stars(kane) be a comedy cheesedick. Kane could be a monster heel that ran through everybody and have a great title run, and then have a face chasing the belt.

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
I think Vince as a Howard Hughes-type character would've been great.
That to me was the highlight of the idea
That was from 2007, not 2008.
It would have culminated at Mania 24 (2008)
They key would have been how it was done
Another thing was (Alvarez touched on it) would they have kept changing it all the time.
Also looking back we need to factor it how fast they soured on Kennedy too, since he would have been the new star from the angle

The Kennedy this was also a nail in the coffin for making immediate superstars of newer guys. They thought he could be an Austin, Rock (or at least a HHH/HBK) level & we saw that that turned out

Last edited: