The Witcher

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series

Writer Andrzej Sapkowski will serve as creative consultant.

By Joe Skrebels

Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games.

Sapkowski - who does not profit from the game series - will serve as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories," he explained in a press release, "staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

Tomas Baginski - who directed the intro videos for all three Witcher games as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer, and who also previously announced as being the director of a movie version of The Witcher - will direct at least one episode per season.

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow. Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

Platige Image, a Polish production and visual effects house will co-produce. Executive producers Baginski and Jarek Sawko emphasised that the books' subtexts will not be lost in the adaptation: "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts.”

No release date, casting, or further directorial choices have been revealed at time of writing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
I am fine with this.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Will this be on the same level of production as their Marvel shows or closer to Game of Thrones?

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
This could be great. Especially if they follow the books, which are more fun and pulpy than the rather super-serious, hellishly convoluted video games.

Bradley Cooper as Geralt. I mean, look at him!

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
The author wants Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt, and that's probably the best casting they could get. I'm excited for it, but I think they could burn through the books pretty quick.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
The author wants Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt, and that's probably the best casting they could get. I'm excited for it, but I think they could burn through the books pretty quick.
Mads would be awesome. And he's not averse to committing to a long-term TV project either.

Dec 12, 2007
I wanna know who's geting made black and how long till Andrzej Sapkowski murders someone over changing his material?

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
The Witcher has found its, err, Witcher—in none other than DC’s Man of Steel himself, Henry Cavill.

Netflix’s Witcher series—showrun by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich and based on the fantasy novels by Andrzej Sapkowski, rather than the wildly popular video game adaptations by CD Projekt Red—has been quietly bubbling away in the background for the last year or so, but it took a major step forward with the casting of Cavill as Geralt of Rivia. Cavill confirmed the casting on his Instagram page this morning:

Netflix and Hissrich also confirmed the news, as well as the fact that the first season of The Witcher will be eight episodes long.

The main protagonist of the Witcher series, Geralt is a genetically-enhanced swordsman for hire, using his Witcher abilities to hunt down monsters and defend the lands of The Continent from monstrous beasts. While Sapkowski’s novels have grown in popularity over the years, most know Geralt primarily as the protagonist of the sprawling video game RPGs in CD Projekt Red’s Witcher trilogy, where he’s brought to life by Doug Cockle, whose iconic voice defines Geralt for many fans.

Cavill himself is a huge fan of the series, and even stoked rumors of his casting in the show recently by expressing his adoration for the third entry in the series, Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, leading to him posting fan mockups of himself as Geralt on his Instagram account, which you can see above. Now, that’s actually becoming a reality.

We’ll bring you more on Netflix’s plans for The Witcher as we learn them.

This post has been updated to include statements from Lauren Schmidt Hissrich and Netflix.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/henry-cavill-will-lead-netflixs-witcher-series-as-geral-1828798390

Yikes, not who I had in mind at all. Seems this series is making the wrong mistakes at every turn from show runners, to writer's room, to this.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Well...so much for that.

Dec 12, 2007
Well...so much for that.
Yeah, until this it had all the promise in the world.

Why would anyone ever think this show was doomed from the start?

Unless you're a raicest of course.

Last edited:

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Christ, it's gonna be a Sunny D commercial

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
It's all so tiring.