The Woke Narrative: Victimhood Culture, Intersectionality, Social Justice Warriors (SJW)

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
I have already made a thread which looked at the woke narrative satirically: The Art of Woke Satire.

This thread looks at the woke narrative head on.

The woke meme has spread from academia to politics, such that now it is seemingly integral to the Democratic 2020 presidential campaign.

SKEPTIC

SKEPTIC

SKEPTIC

SKEPTIC

domelogic

Holy shit. I have not read that before.Damn that is disturbing. Then you have Gilibrand:

Her father Doug Rutnik came to work as a consultant for NXIVM…he was fired, they sued him, and they had to pay him $100,000,” Parlato said, referring Gillibrand’s father.
“Her father’s wife, her stepmother, was also a member of NXIVM…Doug got her into the cult, Gillibrand’s father got Gillibrand’s future stepmother into the cult. Doug left the cult because he was sued. Clare Bronfman after her father was sued donated money to Gillibrand. Gillibrand accepted it.”
What to make of Gillibrand’s statement that she never heard of NXIVM until just recently in the newspaper?
“She must have been living in a world devoid of much information, since NXIVM in her hometown has been the subject of dozens of front-page stories in the Albany Times,” Parlato said.

SKEPTIC

SKEPTIC

Last edited:

SKEPTIC

From the Times (UK) review of the satire book Woke by Titania McGrath (Andrew Doyle).

I mention it in this thread because the review does an excellent job of describing what is being satirized.

highlights:

A spoof guide to progressive thinking is hilarious (and sad)
Since it is largely fruitless to argue against such cultish absolutism, the only option is to laugh. Which I did a great deal at Woke, a spoof guide to social justice: dark, sad, bitter, despairing lolz. Because the trouble with founding progressive politics on identity alone is that you create a crazy hierarchy of oppression, while universal values- free speech, secularism, scientific rationalism - are crushed beneath the weight of "feelings."
. . . its satire is a direct hit on the awful state of the left, in all its nihilism, narcissism and illogic, and its self-defeating, petty-minded thought policing. Woke is no joke.
online article is paywalled. this is the print version:

SKEPTIC

National Review: Progressive Activists Are Poised to Hurt Democrats’ Chances in 2020

highlights:

Their identity politics includes every demographic group except working-class whites.
The shift that Gillibrand’s tweet signaled is the rise of a class of progressive activists who now hold unprecedented power on the American left. Their power is not in numbers, which are few. It comes instead from a monopoly on legitimacy. They are kingmakers, holding the moral authority to anoint Democratic leadership. They are the arbiters of good and evil, the marshals of the social-media messaging war that prospective candidates are desperate to win. They are why Gillibrand, a former pro-gun immigration hawk, felt that she could whip up excitement by invoking a term that remains almost wholly unknown outside progressive academia. They also might be killing the Democratic party’s chance to win the presidency.
It’s easy to hijack liberal empathy. Jonathan Haidt’s research indicates that liberal voters place singular importance on protecting the weak from harm and ensuring that the system is fair to all. These are essential, noble commitments. But this concern can be exploited by a subset of activists who demand that all politics be collapsed into a question of oppressor and oppressed. If your morality revolves around helping victims, then someone with a confident, complete narrative about victimhood is in a position to capture total moral authority. The basic problem is that what becomes socially prestigious among progressives may also be politically toxic in the rest of America. Republicans know this. “I want them to talk about racism every day,” said Steve Bannon last year. “If the Left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.” If they are to avoid this fate, Democrats everywhere should undertake a simple task: Stop trying so hard to impress one another.

DiggerNick

Donator
The only connection 'intersectional' activists have is in their common enemy, the straight white male.

No matter what their oppression is it can all be blamed on the same source. And that's what's so dangerous about it. For them, anyway. As Nick DiPaolo said on Dave Rubin's show recently, "If there's going to be a civil war I'm glad I'm on the side with all the guns."

Last edited: