Cineverse There's a New MCU in town - The Mattel Cinematic Universe

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Christ...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...yers-club-producer-robbie-brenner-1202929275/

Toymaker Mattel Inc. is creating Mattel Films, a new division producing motion pictures based on its globally recognized franchises.
Hollywood veteran Robbie Brenner, producer of “Dallas Buyers Club,” has been appointed to lead Mattel Films as executive producer, reporting to Ynon Kreiz, Mattel’s new chairman and CEO. The deal was announced on Thursday afternoon.

“Mattel is home to one of the world’s greatest portfolios of beloved franchises, and the creation of Mattel Films will allow us to unlock significant value across our IP,” said Kreiz. “Robbie is a gifted storyteller and a highly respected filmmaker with deep relationships in entertainment. She is the perfect leader to bring our celebrated brands to life.”

Mattel has Barbie, Hot Wheels, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Monster High, and Max Steel as potential properties. Most recently, it’s been developing “Barbie” and “Masters of the Universe” movies at Sony but Sony’s options have expired on those properties. Earlier this year, Sony announced that it had pushed back the release of “Barbie,” which had Anne Hathaway attached at that point, from 2018 to 2020.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Christ...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...yers-club-producer-robbie-brenner-1202929275/

Toymaker Mattel Inc. is creating Mattel Films, a new division producing motion pictures based on its globally recognized franchises.
Hollywood veteran Robbie Brenner, producer of “Dallas Buyers Club,” has been appointed to lead Mattel Films as executive producer, reporting to Ynon Kreiz, Mattel’s new chairman and CEO. The deal was announced on Thursday afternoon.

“Mattel is home to one of the world’s greatest portfolios of beloved franchises, and the creation of Mattel Films will allow us to unlock significant value across our IP,” said Kreiz. “Robbie is a gifted storyteller and a highly respected filmmaker with deep relationships in entertainment. She is the perfect leader to bring our celebrated brands to life.”

Mattel has Barbie, Hot Wheels, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Monster High, and Max Steel as potential properties. Most recently, it’s been developing “Barbie” and “Masters of the Universe” movies at Sony but Sony’s options have expired on those properties. Earlier this year, Sony announced that it had pushed back the release of “Barbie,” which had Anne Hathaway attached at that point, from 2018 to 2020.
On the one hand, I'm very pleased that Sony's rights lapsed to He-Man. On the other hand, a Sony He-Man might be an epic HITW.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Christ...

At least that means fewer Sony films.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I don't know what's more embarrassing, Sony's options on the properties expiring or Mattel creating their own studio because they actually think people want to see movies based on their toy franchises.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
He-Man has potential, but only a little.

Side note, The Toys That Made Us is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix. The He-Man episode was especially interesting.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
He-Man has potential, but only a little.

Side note, The Toys That Made Us is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix. The He-Man episode was especially interesting.
Anybody on the internet who bitches and moans about the Masters of Universe cartoon should realize that without it, the toys would have probably never been a hit. I also liked how the executives at Mattel blamed She-Ra for the decline in MOTU's sales.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
They just made a Max Steel movie. It's on Ammy Prime.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Anybody on the internet who bitches and moans about the Masters of Universe cartoon should realize that without it, the toys would have probably never been a hit. I also liked how the executives at Mattel blamed She-Ra for the decline in MOTU's sales.
Shhhh. @BIV is one of those "if they took the first six issues of the He-Man comic book, they could make a great I don't think a trilogy could really capture everything but it's a starting point." people.

Dec 12, 2007
99% of my He-Man knowledge comes from Family Guy cut-aways

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
99% of my He-Man knowledge comes from Family Guy cut-aways
I was never into MOTU or GI Joe. All I know about MOTU is from the Frank Langella movie and the RLM Commentary. Has there been any new MOTU properties in the past several years? It feels like it's not really in the public consciousness.

Dec 12, 2007
I was never into MOTU or GI Joe. All I know about MOTU is from the Frank Langella movie and the RLM Commentary. Has there been any new MOTU properties in the past several years? It feels like it's not really in the public consciousness.
I usually confuse it with Thundercats.

TC had a well received remake though, and a not so well received second remake or parody show is on the way. The creators of the new show are blaming alt-right trolls for the hate or whatever. All I know is it looks bad and I have zero interest in a show about cat people.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Shhhh. @BIV is one of those "if they took the first six issues of the He-Man comic book, they could make a great I don't think a trilogy could really capture everything but it's a starting point." people.
I am not.

Poopyhead.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I think they tried, but my memory is fuzzy.

It's kind of an insane concept to build around without gutting it.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I love that battle cat came to be because they had the rights to this odd, out of scale cat toy and needed to figure out how to incorporate it with the rest of the toys.

"Fuck it, put a saddle on it".