Thinking about buying a settop box media player?

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
A lady created a spreadsheet with all the current media players available, including PS3 and Xbox.

Spreadsheet

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I have a roku and a WDTV Live (the old one, no netflix.) I haven't even turned either one of them on in almost 3 months. Two small PCs connected to the two TVs I watch, WMC and Boxee/Hulu+/Netflix on them. Done and done.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I have a single core Atom ION Revo Nettop that I'm using as an HTPC for Video Podcasts and TV shows downloaded from the internet. I'd been using my Xbox360 to watch netflix, until buying a cheap Roku box. My HTPC sucks at Silverlight and Flash video so the Roku box handles streaming of Crackle, Hulu Plus, Netfllix, ect.

You can get a 720p Roku 2 HD for only $70.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
If you have DishNetWork then get the Logitech Revue

I have a Logitech Revue, Apple TV, Xbox 360, PS3, & Wii (I guess the Wii counts since it has Netflix)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Got the Sony SMP-n100 myself. I found it to be slightly better than the Roku and I only paid about $80 for mine. No complaints...and some of the information on this spreadsheet for the Sony is either inaccurate or just missing.

Also have a Boxee Box, which I love. It'll play mostly anything of the internet that doesn't require some third party plug-in...and with the Navi-X app...there's a plethora of media out there for free (that's not supposed to be). I'm just waiting for the day it gets shut down...but it's up for awhile now.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Navi-X is the shit.... did you see v2? If you go to the repository for it, the new version is there, much cleaner looking.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Navi-X is the shit.... did you see v2? If you go to the repository for it, the new version is there, much cleaner looking.
Yep. Definitely cleaner and much easier to navigate. My son just watched Toy Story 3 tonight...great quality. Still a few bugs though when I select certain videos and it just locks up Boxee...but hopefully they'll be worked out.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I have a Boxee Box and a couple of Apple TVs, one that has the firecore aTV flash mod

it really helps the Apple TV in that it makes it more like what it should be and as soon as I get my NAS running again, (lazy me) it should stream anything off of that I have

I thought about getting a new Roku as I have Amazon Prime and could watch all their stuff too but I will wait as that service may show up on either of the other 2 I have

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Navi-X is basically a free, open source database of media content. I think some guy in the Netherlands built it specifically for XBMC, but soon became available for Boxee. It's a "content aggregator" that has a public directory of user-submitted content (namely videos...movies, TV shows). You can find alot of TV shows on there and various movies...a ton of music videos...I also found Grooveshark on there and can look up any song and play it. Think of it as a sort of 3rd-party Netflix...but with videos and some other media.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Navi-X is basically a free, open source database of media content. I think some guy in the Netherlands built it specifically for XBMC, but soon became available for Boxee. It's a "content aggregator" that has a public directory of user-submitted content (namely videos...movies, TV shows). You can find alot of TV shows on there and various movies...a ton of music videos...I also found Grooveshark on there and can look up any song and play it. Think of it as a sort of 3rd-party Netflix...but with videos and some other media.
So this will work on my Xbox?

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
So this will work on my Xbox?
It was a modded front end for the original XBOX, but now it runs on top of X86 computers running Linux or windows. I'm not sure if they even support the original Xbox anymore, but I think the 360 is too locked down to run anything like XBMC.