Thinking about getting back into the "Wild Cards" anthologies

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
So I was listening to the Nerdist podcast tonight, the George RR Martin interview. And they mentioned the old Wild Cards anthology, of which Martin was the editor (I don't know if he actually wrote any of the short stories in the series - there were a LOT of authors).

I have a couple of the original TOR series books, bought at a second hand bookshop during college.

It's a hard read. It's hardcore graphic novels of the 80s ala Watchmen and Dark Knight, without the graphics.

Quick concept: at the end of WWII, an alien accidentally releases a virus that kills 90% of the people it infects. Most people manage to avoid getting infected, but the 10% who survive are either granted superhuman powers (Aces) or suffer deformities (Jokers). And some get both the deformities and the powers.

No spandex (well, very little spandex), but a lot of serious, painful examination of various ideas couched as science fiction. It's been a while, but I recall the story of a (Joker) woman who couldn't be touched. She was beautiful, but a drop of rainwater touching her could be like a bullet smashing into her. She had to (?) walk around naked, but was so respected that nobody touched her, until she was forced to fuck some seedy dude to save the life of her friends or some such. Or something like that.

The stories are really good, though a friend has noted that the second anthology kind of sucked.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I read the first one and really enjoyed it. i never got around to the second.