Thinking about making a career move into Law Enforcement.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
It's strange b/c my wife actually brought up the idea out of the blue this afternoon. She knows I've always wanted to do Law Enforcement, but I thought my not-so-angelic past might hinder me from even considering it. I have a lot of traffic violations over the past 13 years of driving. Probably approaching 30+ tickets. I've also been arrested twice but only one charge holding up in court and it was a misdemeanor for disturbing the peace. The other was dropped after I paid the guy a few hundred for damages to his truck. But it was also a misdemeanor.

What scares me is I did quite a bit of drugs when I was 18 and 19 but I've been clean ever since...so almost 9 years. They say a polygraph is administered, which I'm not worried about, it's the fact that I have this lengthy unlawful history. I'm going to truthfully fill out the application with my previous drug history, arrest and traffic violations, but do any current or former police officers think this could hinder my chances of passing the application process? I really want to do this, but I don't want to put my current job in jeopardy if I've got no chance of even passing through the screening portion.

nikoloslvy

I wear my sunglasses at night...Anyone want fries?
Donator
"can we get a mod to remove this drunking jerkoffs ramblings"- balzac

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I can't speak for florida, but in NY & NJ you wouldn't be able to do it because of the past problems. Sorry :icon_sad:

NortonsHeiny

Ronnie B Rocks my Fat Ass
I can't speak for florida, but in NY & NJ you wouldn't be able to do it because of the past problems. Sorry :icon_sad:
Except in Atlantic City or Camden, we take anyone

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
It's strange b/c my wife actually brought up the idea out of the blue this afternoon. She knows I've always wanted to do Law Enforcement, but I thought my not-so-angelic past might hinder me from even considering it. I have a lot of traffic violations over the past 13 years of driving. Probably approaching 30+ tickets. I've also been arrested twice but only one charge holding up in court and it was a misdemeanor for disturbing the peace. The other was dropped after I paid the guy a few hundred for damages to his truck. But it was also a misdemeanor.

What scares me is I did quite a bit of drugs when I was 18 and 19 but I've been clean ever since...so almost 9 years. They say a polygraph is administered, which I'm not worried about, it's the fact that I have this lengthy unlawful history. I'm going to truthfully fill out the application with my previous drug history, arrest and traffic violations, but do any current or former police officers think this could hinder my chances of passing the application process? I really want to do this, but I don't want to put my current job in jeopardy if I've got no chance of even passing through the screening portion.
1) You can do the whole application process with out your current employer knowing about it. I know folks in my office going for Suffolk and Nassau PD process, just take personal or vacation days ... 2 or 3 days at time to cover yourself.

2) Be 100% honest, you lie, they will find it. You made some mistakes young but you grew up....
What scares me is I did quite a bit of drugs when I was 18 and 19 but I've been clean ever since...so almost 9 years.
Everyone makes mistakes as a kid, but you were right on as an adult.

Throw the dice and see where they fall. You don’t take this chance you'll kick yourself in the ass for the rest of your life.

By the way, I wasn’t a cop but I served in the military and became an officer even though I admitted to a few skeletons in my closet.

Dude, you're good to go if the only thing you have to worry about are traffic tickets and a misdemeanor disturbing the peace. You have to pass an FBI background check and basically if you don't have any felonies or arrests for violent offenses then you're kosher.

And about the drugs portion. Well if you had arrests for those reasons and dropped it a long time ago then you can be partially honest. Tell them you had done drugs a few times with friends but found that it wasn't for you. You wouldn't be lying. But depending on what department/agency you want to work for they will ask you if you tried drugs on more than three occasions. How you answer that is up to you.

But with the polygraph believe what you say. It doesn't have to be the whole truth but just believe it. Before you go in come up with a list of things that you may be asked about and go over things in your memory on what all you can "recall." Memory fades with years and you may only be able to remember a few things. Just whatever you can "remember" will be your memory and that will be your truth. Don't ever explain things and stay calm. People make mistakes and you said that most of the things were when you were a kid, right? Plenty of people mess up when they are teens.

If you can't get into a department in a larger city then try a smaller town/city. There are people looking for new recruits man and many cops had a colorful youth but they get a badge.

I worked with some people that were borderline and could easily be criminals. And sometimes gangs actually got members of theirs with clean records to become law enforcement to help cover them.

DanaReevesLungs

Donator
Throw the dice and see where they fall. You don’t take this chance you'll kick yourself in the ass for the rest of your life.

That right there is what I don't want to do. I even went as far yesterday to get my driving record for the past 7 years and purchased a full background check on myself just to see what shows on my record and what doesn't. But I will mention both arrest, with the 2nd being thrown out.

DanaReevesLungs

Donator
Why don't you go Fed?

Like... http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/

More gooder pay... get to travel etc... and mandatory retirement after 20 years with full pension. Also better unions and less politics.
Not a bad idea at all. Plus they have police powers.

Unfortunately they're not hiring right now though.

Postal Inspector applications are not being accepted at this time. Updates will be posted as available. For more information about Postal Inspector jobs, visit our Employment site.

Not a bad idea at all. Plus they have police powers.

Unfortunately they're not hiring right now though.
As long as you have a criminalology degree you could go BTAF, OCI (Office of Criminal Investigations for the FDA), Treasury Department etc... even the Secret Service (they have a uniformed branch). You just have to be younger then 37 (for armed service).

Here is a link to USAJOBS... lists all federal jobs available.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/jo...0&brd=3876&FedPub=Y&caller=/agency_search.asp

Oh and link to the National Treasury Employees Union site as well...

http://www.nteu.org/

And a link to the GS Pay Chart...

http://federaljobs.net/05base.htm (armed guys start at a 13)

batgoat

the medication doesn't work....
Just do it. Like other people have said, don't lie. It's called "aging out". Most departments like seeing that you were stupid once but now have grown up.

My friend got hired a year ago with a misdemeanor assault on his record. He didn't lie and they were ok with it. Make sure you have credible friends with good jobs for your background check. Also, timeline is very important for background. You can't have six months of no school no job and claim you were just hanging out.

Basically, if you don't have a felony arrest you're good. If you are serious about doing it they will know. Give it a shot.

Many departments will reject you for your past. Smaller ones are more forgiving. The hiring process for police is very scrutinizing. Lie detectors, thorough background investigations, often times involving calling your friends and family, etc.

Fr. Dougal

I'm sick of tv news. I've worked for 7 years now, and am only making low 40s.

I was considering taking the NYPD test in October. I'd have to deal with the shit rookie pay, but even their website says after 5 years, the average PO salary is over 100k with overtime.

I could be in TV news for 20 years and NEVER get that kind of salary.

I wanted to get on the list for the upcoming Nassau test, but I missed the registration date. (And I have no Law Enforcement experience anyway.) 2 guys at work are taking it. They want out of news too, despite getting nearly double what I'm getting.