Thinking of buying a new laptop...

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I'm thinking of buying a new laptop. I don't need great battery life and weight isn't much of an issue as it will be primarily used around the house and only occasionally will it travel with me. So I'd rather focus on performance. I was looking at this Toshiba. I've had good experiences with Toshiba laptops in the past. That one is about the limit as to what I will spend on a new laptop. Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I lost faith in Toshiba a few years back when they started offering some low-end OEM models under their own brand. Then again, a lot of the big PC companies have started doing that. :(

I like ThinkPads, but I'm not so sure about Lenovo. That model you chose has great specs though. I'm hard pressed to think of something better. (Asus?)

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I just paid five hundred dollars for a Toshiba laptop this weekend, and so far it seems pretty good, but I can't be telling you about any longevity or anything since it's brand new.

But I just needed it for word processing and intenet browsing or something. I guess it depends on how much processing power you need, and what sort of heavy lifting you need it to do. I built my own desktop for that sort of crap.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I just paid five hundred dollars for a Toshiba laptop this weekend, and so far it seems pretty good, but I can't be telling you about any longevity or anything since it's brand new.

But I just needed it for word processing and intenet browsing or something. I guess it depends on how much processing power you need, and what sort of heavy lifting you need it to do. I built my own desktop for that sort of crap.
I have a Toshiba I use now and I use it alot. It's about 4 years old and I've never had a problem with it. I had a Toshiba before that for about 2 years that I only stopped using to upgrade to the newer one. 6 years. 2 Toshiba laptops. 0 problems. It's a good track record.

got this 2 months ago
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667881.php?rdr=v1311
and i couldnt be happier. this thing runs smooth and i dont game
That's a nice laptop. But I'm a little wary of Gateway computers. I've had friends have endless problems with desktops from them.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
I got a basic one and am very happy with it..Dell Vostro 1000. Check it out..less than $500.00

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
I got a basic one and am very happy with it..Dell Vostro 1000. Check it out..less than $500.00
Any details on that Zona? I just ordered one last week for $449. I only need it for web browsing, but would like to know how someone who owns one feels.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
Any details on that Zona? I just ordered one last week for $449. I only need it for web browsing, but would like to know how someone who owns one feels.
I have no complaints at all so far. More than enough memory. Came with windows business and the wifi is great.

You should probably get a router. A secured one.

Of course you have to get used to the keyboard, but eventually you will. The screen is 15 inches which isn't too bad.

The battery is good for about two hours and it takes about an hour to charge it, but since I don't see taking this on long trip, that is fine.

I recommend it for the money. If I come across something it cant handle I am sure my cpu can handle it, but so far its great.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
I'm thinking of buying a new laptop. I don't need great battery life and weight isn't much of an issue as it will be primarily used around the house and only occasionally will it travel with me. So I'd rather focus on performance. I was looking at this Toshiba. I've had good experiences with Toshiba laptops in the past. That one is about the limit as to what I will spend on a new laptop. Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?
This Lenovo.
ThinkPad T Series T61(64608XU) NoteBook
Intel Core 2 Duo T7700(2.40GHz)
15.4" Wide UXGA
4GB Memory
200GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M

or

This MacBook Pro.
MA897LL/A Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz
17" WSXGA+
2GB DDR2 667
160GB 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

What all are you using it for?

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Just got my third Toshiba. The last one was nearly 5 years old and went up in flames - apparently a whole bunch of sugar ants got inside. Other than that, it was fine and I wasn't looking to replace it until the summer. It replaced another Toshiba that I had four 4 years before that.

I picked up a 14.1" Toshiba w/2 gig ram, 200 gig hard drive, Core 2 Duo, etc. for under $800. Wanted to go smaller after the 10lb beast that the other one was. I would have preferred a dedicated graphics card, but so far it has handled everything I have asked it to do better than I expected. Enjoying getting more than 45 minutes of battery time.

I usually recommend Toshiba first to my clients and generally have not had any major problems that were not user fault.

The model you selected may be a little overkill. There is a similar model about $400 cheaper.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I like Dell. I've been working off an Inspiron for a couple years now and it's been good to me.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
I just got an HP DV6736nr - Best Buy was having an 18 month interest free deal, so I snagged this up for $700. 250HD, 2 gig, webcam built in...been running great for over a month. Very happy with it. Had to tweak the shit out of Vista, but otherwise a decent buy.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
That's a nice laptop. But I'm a little wary of Gateway computers. I've had friends have endless problems with desktops from them.
ive had 2 hps a toshiba and this is my 3rd gateway. the gateways were always the best, the only desktop i ever had was an Emachine before the buyout. i get ya tho on bein uncertain its not chump change youre lookin to spend.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
I'd get that Toshiba. I think you'll be real happy with it. I have a lower end Toshiba I got last year and it's been a good laptop. I'm working on a new HP laptop I just got for work. Been spending teh night setting it up and it's pretty awesome as well.

But if I was getting a higher-end one for my personal use, it would probably be a Toshiba.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Hoag,

Check out Asus. Great warranties (2-years standard w/ 1-year accidental damage), come with nice features (dedicated video in most of them - no shared memory bullshit), and they usually include a bag or other stuff like a mouse. Lots of different models. Since weight/size weren't an issue, I narrowed it down to ones with 17" screens. If I were buying a laptop today, I'd be getting one from Asus. They are a top-notch, well-respected hardware manufacturer who has made the jump into the laptop market in the last year or two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...260032 50001315 103980232&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
If you're going to drop 2k+ on a laptop why not check out Apple?
If I'm spending 2k+ on a laptop I'd like one that is capable of gaming with too. And I don't do anything with image or audio editing so I don't know that I want to deal with a different platform from every other computer I own.

Hoag,

Check out Asus. Great warranties (2-years standard w/ 1-year accidental damage), come with nice features (dedicated video in most of them - no shared memory bullshit), and they usually include a bag or other stuff like a mouse. Lots of different models. Since weight/size weren't an issue, I narrowed it down to ones with 17" screens. If I were buying a laptop today, I'd be getting one from Asus. They are a top-notch, well-respected hardware manufacturer who has made the jump into the laptop market in the last year or two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...260032 50001315 103980232&bop=And&Order=PRICE
I'll have to look through some of those. There are some nice configurations at first glance.
Don't forget Anus laptops either

They're not real. And Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.
My search is over. I've always wanted a new anus. :haha7:

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
My wife just picked up the model below that one. So far so good. Now major problems. There was a glitch that Toshiba claims they are working on. There is a conflict between the video card and the processor, it would cause the screen to just go blank till you force a reboot. We found a work around on the internet and have had no problems since. I personally like the thinkpads. My dad has been through several over the last couple years (his company issues new ones every 2 years) and he said he would never buy anything else.

edit: my bad, her's has the AMD processor, the problem exists only with them.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I can vouch for Toshiba. Good hardware. The thin about those other "bargain" systems is that you usually get a lot of bloatware attached, and it's a pain in the ass to get rid of. Make sure you get a "basic" reinstall disk and start off with that.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Ironcally, the one review on Newegg about the Toshiba mentions the huge amount of bloatware that comes loaded on it.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Ironcally, the one review on Newegg about the Toshiba mentions the huge amount of bloatware that comes loaded on it.
I haven't bought one in a couple of years. Sucks they went down that road. I hear that Alienware is one of the best at the no bloatware thing.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I've had no problems with HP laptops. I currently have the dv6000 and it's great.

If I wanted to spend some cash, I would consider HDX series.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...om+price&v1=Over+$1000&series_name=HDX_series

There are alot of notebook bargains on bensbargains.net, unless you're a fancy man. :)
I got the DV6707, and I will definitely buy another HP based on my experiences so far with this one. It's like my best friend now, and has paid for itself several times over in the time I've had it.