This is the End (June 12, 2013)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
While attending a party at James Franco's house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the apocalypse.

Cast:

Seth Rogan
James Franco
Emma Watson
Paul Rudd
Jason Segel
Jonah Hill
Michael Cera
Kevin Hart
Danny McBride
Craig Robinson

It looks like they tried to get every mainstream comedic actor from the past five years in one movie, and then threw in James Franco and Emma Watson.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I predict a lot of screaming.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Danny McBride was pretty much the only thing redeeming about the trailer.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Enough with Craig Robinson.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
This looks pretty terrible... And I like almost all the actors alone, except for Craig Robinson.
Enough of him is right.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I saw the teaser last year and thought it looked kind of funny. Much funnier than Hangover III. But that is definitely a cast of "Enough with these people already." Even though I like most of them.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I have an advanced screening pass to this movie for tonight. My expectations are low.

And tomorrow I have an advanced screening pass for After Earth.

And Friday I'm going to a screening of The Room. I'm so excited. Seeing the The Room with a bunch of people is amazing. I'm also bringing someone who has never seen it before. It'll be glorious.

Bets that "The Room" is a better movie than the other two?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Yeah, this wasn't bad. Wasn't amazing. There were some lulls, but it kind of worked in a weird way. Even when Danny McBride plays himself, he's a gigantic cocksucker. His performance was the best in the movie.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Yeah, this wasn't bad. Wasn't amazing. There were some lulls, but it kind of worked in a weird way. Even when Danny McBride plays himself, he's a gigantic cocksucker. His performance was the best in the movie.
My prediction was even though it shouldn't be done often, it might be a nice change of pace not to have to introduce and build characters for once. They're mostly going to be hollow anyway so just skip all the hubbub.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I have an advanced screening pass to this movie for tonight. My expectations are low.

And tomorrow I have an advanced screening pass for After Earth.

And Friday I'm going to a screening of The Room. I'm so excited. Seeing the The Room with a bunch of people is amazing. I'm also bringing someone who has never seen it before. It'll be glorious.

Bets that "The Room" is a better movie than the other two?
I have some hope that Will Smith can carry After Earth.
The Room is already a cult favorite for being bad so I don't see how it can beat TitE's star power.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think you said you saw Hangover Part III. Was it better or worse than that...not really a comedy was it? Yet it wasn't as dark as it needed to go to work.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I think you said you saw Hangover Part III. Was it better or worse than that...not really a comedy was it? Yet it wasn't as dark as it needed to go to work.
I didn't see Hangover Part III, so I cannot comment.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Copying my post about this from the other thread:

This is the End looks TERRIBLE!!! It's just another indicator of this country's obsession with famous people. It's just an excuse for lazy jokes because saying "fuck you James Franco!" is funny while "fuck you, James Franco's character name" isn't. "Miley Cyrus stole our weed!" OH MY GOD MILEY CYRUS STOLE THEIR WEED!!! I KNOW WHO SHE IS FROM THE INTERNET!!!

I hope everyone in the movie is actually eaten by a horde of zombies for real. Fucking boo.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Copying my post about this from the other thread:
I don't know, man, I took it as a metaphor for Seth Rogen's fight maintaining his friendships back in Canada and how he transitioned to friendships in Hollywood. In that way it was kind of a fun introspection into the transition mindset set against the backdrop of The Apocalypse.

So they used their real names rather than make up fake names. Lazy? Sure. But it made the story at least feasible on a basic level.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't know, man, I took it as a metaphor for Seth Rogen's fight maintaining his friendships back in Canada and how he transitioned to friendships in Hollywood. In that way it was kind of a fun introspection into the transition mindset set against the backdrop of The Apocalypse.

So they used their real names rather than make up fake names. Lazy? Sure. But it made the story at least feasible on a basic level.

Not feeling it. This movie will have to work very hard to convince me. The stuff I've seen is just like I described - kinda like Movie 42 or whatever it was called - it relies too heavily on who is in a certain situation as opposed to what that situation is. Gee, you think there will be a lot of EW-type jokes? "Hey Michael Sera, did you bang Ellen Page? I bet you didn't because you're a weenie! I bet Franco banged Anne Hathaway."

I KNOW ALL THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! I'M IN ON THE JOKE!!!

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Not feeling it. This movie will have to work very hard to convince me. The stuff I've seen is just like I described - kinda like Movie 42 or whatever it was called - it relies too heavily on who is in a certain situation as opposed to what that situation is. Gee, you think there will be a lot of EW-type jokes? "Hey Michael Sera, did you bang Ellen Page? I bet you didn't because you're a weenie! I bet Franco banged Anne Hathaway."

I KNOW ALL THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! I'M IN ON THE JOKE!!!
I've seen the film. I think you're a bit off on where this film is coming from. It's no Movie 42.

And Michael Cera... Man I'll love to see your comments AFTER you see this film.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've seen the film. I think you're a bit off on where this film is coming from. It's no Movie 42.

And Michael Cera... Man I'll love to see your comments AFTER you see this film.

Oooh I bet he does something crazy and off character like hack someone apart with an ax, right? Am I close?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
And I know it's nothing like Movie 42. I was just talking about heavy reliance on name recognition, so much so that it extends to the film itself. Not only is James Franco in this movie, James Franco is IN THIS MOVIE.

PS: Bill - If it really is different like you say then it could possibly have the worst promotional campaign I've ever seen.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I was actually looking forward to this as the comedy of the summer, but I think making it counter programming to Man of Steel is stupid as fuck.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I was actually looking forward to this as the comedy of the summer, but I think making it counter programming to Man of Steel is stupid as fuck.
What?
Oh...

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Holy shit this is getting mostly awesome reviews on RT. Many "Best comedy of the year" types. Supposedly the disaster/action aspects are played straight, superimposed with Superbad-type juvenile potty humor. Color me interested! And I like when celebrities play themselves as obnoxious assholes.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Holy shit this is getting mostly awesome reviews on RT. Many "Best comedy of the year" types. Supposedly the disaster/action aspects are played straight, superimposed with Superbad-type juvenile potty humor. Color me interested! And I like when celebrities play themselves as obnoxious assholes.
Play?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I could've told you that.. Wait, I did.

Yeah, the reviews are most likely going to make This is the End this year's Ted. Pigdango, comment?

Although counter programming it with Man of Steel, like LiddyRules said, is kind of dumb. Should've waited a week.