This rules: Kids drawings fleshed out in oil paints

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Dave Devries takes sketches of monsters drawn by children purely from their imagination and renders them realistically giving them a truly devilish look. His collection of drawings and paintings form a 48-page book “The Monster Engine”.

Devries would project a child’s drawing with an opaque projector, and then faithfully trace each line. Applying a combination of logic and instinct, he then paint the image as realistically as he can using primarily acrylic, airbrush, and colored pencil.

Says Dave Devries:

It began at the Jersey Shore in 1998, where my niece Jessica often filled my sketchbook with doodles. While I stared at them, I wondered if color, texture and shading could be applied for a 3D effect. As a painter, I made cartoons look three dimensional every day for the likes of Marvel and DC comics, so why couldn’t I apply those same techniques to a kid’s drawing? That was it... no research, no years of toil, just the curiosity of seeing Jessica’s drawings come to life.
Just check it out:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/04/monster-engine-childrens-drawings.html

This is my favorite:

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I assume this guy is practicing to be an artist? Hate to be picky, but this would've been an excellent opportunity to focus on making the lights and shadows realistic (since nothing else really has to be). And he doesn't, he's all over the place, at least I don't see any logic in the lighting. They're pretty random, often the figures are lit straight from the direction of their shadow.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I assume this guy is practicing to be an artist? Hate to be picky, but this would've been an excellent opportunity to focus on making the lights and shadows realistic (since nothing else really has to be). And he doesn't, he's all over the place, at least I don't see any logic in the lighting. They're pretty random, often the figures are lit straight from the direction of their shadow.
Fag :action-sm

I think the site is cool.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Someone else took a shot at this. Fun, but not as good.

Working Together: Artist Turns Her 2-Year Old Daughter's Doodles Into Water Colors
September 10, 2014 in art, artist, arts and crafts, doodling, expressing yourself, getting creative, good job, having a great time, IT BELONGS IN A MUSUEM, making things together, painting, skills
Facebook Twitter Google+

These are several examples of the collaborative work between 2-year old Eve and her mother Ruth. Eve begins the artistic process with some doodling, then Ruth comes in and adds watercolor.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Artist paints over shit, turning it into something pretty nice. But not as nice as it would've been if there wasn't any shit under it.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Artist paints over shit, turning it into something pretty nice. But not as nice as it would've been if there wasn't any shit under it.
I don't think you are getting into the spirit of the thing.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
So does this mean I'm an artist or just have the talent of a Downs Syndrome waterhead?

I'm 50 and my this is what my shit looks like...