This shit is out of control! (Porkchop is Derogatory?) [merged]

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
Local story for me, but this shit is happening everywhere. I could care less about a local baseball team, and even less about the mascot. Its the point of the matter that pisses me off. This is what the local Hispanic community is pissed off about? How about speaking out against all your little sp** gangs running around robbing and killing people. The Lehigh Valley is turning into Philly, and your pissed about a mascot???

Link:http://wfmz.com/view/?id=187281&title=Hispanic Community Leaders React to Mascot Name Change

Story:

Hispanic Community Leaders React to Mascot Name Change

A pig by any other name will smell just as sweet. At least that's what the IronPigs are saying. The team changed the name of its mascot after learning that some people could find it offensive. WFMZ's Joscelyn Moes reports.

The first name was barely a day old when the team ... called it out.
Some say the change was a smart move.
Others don't understand what was so wrong with it.

No boar-ing name for this mascot.
So to find the perfect fit ... the Lehigh Valley IronPigs took suggestions ... thousands of them ... and came up with PorkChop.
Matt Provence
PorkChop was a name we liked because it was fun and it was relating to a pig.

But after learning from some in the community that it could be considered offensive ... the team decided to switch it up.
Apparently the word is a not-so-commonly used racist term for people of Puerto Rican and Portuguese decent.
Now ... the new name is Ferrous.
It's an adjective derived from the Latin word ferrum that means of ... or having to do with ... iron.
Matt Provence
I think Ferrous is fairly appropriate.

Some leaders in the Hispanic community say to name the pig PorkChop wasn't that big of a deal.
Jose Molina
We have to thank the organization of the baseball team to be sensitive to everybody but I'm not agreeing on this as a Latino issue.

But others disagree.
Local Hispanic Leader Guillermo Lopez was one of several who contacted to IronPigs about the name.
Guillermo Lopez
If mama and papa were still alive they'd be a little upset at this.
Guillermo Lopez
That was the name that targeted them ... porkchops ... and particularly my father. I heard him talk about how he got called that a whole lot.

Meantime the 5-year-old Easton girl who picked the name PorkChop will still receive a prize package.
So will a fan who suggested the name Ferrous.
The team just hopes the mascot's new name will be a homerun with fans.

The parents of the little girl who picked the name PorkChop didn't want to go on camera ... but tell us they feel bad if anyone was offended.
They say the child picked the name because she thought it would be a cute name for the mascot.

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
Well that asshole just introduced the country to new name to call sp!cs. :action-sm
I never heard of it before this oversensitive faggit wanted to look like a hero to the cuhmoonitay.
Dumb fuckin porkchop

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
Well that asshole just introduced the country to new name to call sp!cs. :action-sm
I never heard of it before this oversensitive faggit wanted to look like a hero to the cuhmoonitay.
Dumb fuckin porkchop
Thats a damn good point....I never even thought of that!:D

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
when's it gonna stop

i fucking hate pork chops

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
[RONNIE B voice] hey what are those pork chops doin' around my car

i got jumped by a couple pork chops last night [RONNIE B voice]

LLLINNNGGGERR LONNNNGGGERR

Mar 17, 2006
Earl, I'm starving. We got any pork chops back there?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Wow...so calling a pig the name of a food that comes from them and is consumed by millions of Americans is now racist? Wow.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Now they're just making shit up.
ding ding ding!

:clap::haha7::clap::haha7:

----

youre a minority that had it rough at one point in history. okay, we get it!

take your medicine, act like a man and get over it you fuckin porkchop!

grrrr...

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
for real - when i saw the headline on foxnews - I thought Kosher rabbis had to be the complainers.

mods should change this topic title to "Now 'porkchop' is offensive?"

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Maybe the latino guy's father had sideburns like lamb chops or mutton chops....or he was just a porker.

or he was caught fucking a pig. or his wife was a pig.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well thank God they changed that name. I think I should file a complaint here because the female razorback mascot here is called Pork Chop and I now find it to be offensive to Puerto Ricans.

I didn't find it offensive before, but now after knowing that it makes someone in the world somewhere feel bad, it offends me and WE NEED CHANGE!

Now I just have to tell my mother that those fried pork steaks can no longer be called "Pork Chops" in our home. "Mom, could you please pass the pork steaks?" Thats how we now will refer to them so to not offend anyone and STOP THE HATE!

Oh and one more thing. That sort be fake outrage about non-issues makes me think that terror attacks against our nation may just be justified. Maybe they are right to want to kill us all.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Now meat is derogatory?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314901,00.html

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Two days after naming its mascot "PorkChop," the Philadelphia Phillies' new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker after receiving complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.
The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, whose mascot is a large, furry pig, had selected PorkChop from more than 7,300 fan submissions. The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named "Ferrous" instead.
General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.
"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,"' he said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."
Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called "pork chop" when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.
"If my parents were alive, they'd be having fits," said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. "It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley."
PorkChop had been submitted by 32 fans. The replacement name, Ferrous — from the Latin word "ferrum," or iron — received the most fan nominations, with 235.

The team moved to Allentown from Ottawa — where it was known as the Lynx — following the 2007 season. Construction is wrapping up on a new stadium in east Allentown.
So now what? Is every restaurant going to be attacked for their menu items? Get over yourselves people! Its not like they were calling the mascot 'wetback'.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
I'm fucking speechless.

If your racial slur was taken verbatim from a food product, you have absolutely no reason to even be offended/hurt/mentally devastated in the first place.

Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called "pork chop" when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.
"If my parents were alive, they'd be having fits," said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. "It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley."
So because one guy got teased...admits that nobody else could really give a shit...this word is now a slur. Fucking douche probably deserved every insult and taunt that was ever thrown his way.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,"' he said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."
This ENRAGES me.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Unless you take the comment as: "If it offended a few, it's a few too many because NOBODY should be offended by the fucking word "porkchop"."