Thomas Kinkade "Painter of Light" Dead at 54


Liberal Psycopath
Guess God needed a shitty, hack painter to sell him overpriced works of "art"

Thomas Kinkade, one of nation's most popular painters, dies suddenly in Los Gatos at 54

Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light" and one of the most popular artists in America, died suddenly Friday at his Los Gatos home. He was 54.
His family said in a statement that his death appeared to be from natural causes.
"Thom provided a wonderful life for his family," his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. "We are shocked and saddened by his death."
His paintings are hanging in an estimated one of every 20 homes in the United States. Fans cite the warm, familiar feeling of his mass-produced works of art, while it has become fashionable for art critics to dismiss his pieces as tacky. In any event, his prints of idyllic cottages and bucolic garden gates helped establish a brand -- famed for their painted highlights -- not commonly seen in the art world.
"I'm a warrior for light," Kinkade told the Mercury News in 2002, alluding not just to his technical skill at creating light on canvas but to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "With whatever talent and resources I have, I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."
His Media Arts Group company surged to success, taking in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, before it went private in the middle of the past decade. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.
The Placerville native, who also leaves behind a brother and sister, was known to dress
up like Santa Claus on Christmas, ride a Harley-Davidson and go on painting trips around the world. He would visit studio executives but also got to know all the homeless people in Los Gatos. He read classic books but also enjoyed shooting and blowing up things on his ranch.
The father of four girls and a devoted Christian, his artistic philosophy was not to express himself through his paintings like many artists, but rather to give the masses what they wanted: warm, positive images, said Ken Raasch, a longtime friend who co-founded Kinkade's company with him.
"I'd see a tree as being green, and he would see it as 47 different shades of green," Raasch said. "He just saw the world in a much more detailed way than anyone I've ever seen."
In the 25 years since graduating from UC Berkeley, his official biography says he has printed 1,000 paintings of "cabin and nature scenes, beautiful gardens, classic cottages, sports, inspirational content, lighthouses and powerful seascapes, impressionists, and classic Americana."
Kinkade became a speaker and author, with books that reached the New York Times Best Seller list. His top sellers include, "Masterworks of Light," and "The Artist's Guide to Sketching." He put Los Gatos High on canvas along with other community landmarks.
He was involved in a charity foundation. As a philanthropist, he contributed and helped raise millions of dollars that went to nonprofits agencies such as the Salvation Army and museums.
But in 2010, the company's Morgan Hill manufacturing arm, Pacific Metro, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Months later, Kinkade was reportedly arrested on suspicion of DUI. In 2009, the Los Angeles Times reported the FBI was investigating whether he fraudulently induced investors and then ruined them financially.
His family was traveling to Australia on Friday and unavailable for further comment. Further details were expected in the coming days.
Authorities would not have the official cause of death for at least a few days. Police referred comment to the coroner, who was unavailable late Friday. Friends and family on Friday began planning a private service and were weighing a public celebration for a later date.
Despite Kinkade's death, his paintings will live on.
"Art is forever," Kinkade told "60 Minutes" in 2007. "It goes front and center on your wall, where everyday the rest of your life you see that image. And it is shaping your children, it's shaping your life."


What's black and white and red all over?
There have been some hilarious critiques of his works.

From Wiki:


The Los Angeles Times has reported that some of Kinkade’s former colleagues, employees, and even collectors of his work say that he has a long history of cursing and heckling other artists and performers. The Times further reported that he openly groped a woman’s breasts at a South Bend, Indiana sales event, and mentioned his proclivity for ritual territory marking through urination, once relieving himself on a Winnie the Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim while saying “This one’s for you, Walt.” In a letter to licensed gallery owners acknowledging he may have behaved badly during a stressful time when he overindulged in food and drink, Kinkade said accounts of the alcohol-related incidents included “exaggerated, and in some cases outright fabricated personal accusations.” The letter did not address any incident specifically.

In 2006 John Dandois, Media Arts Group executive, recounted a story that on one occasion (”about six years ago”) Kinkade became drunk at a Siegfried & Roy magic show in Las Vegas and began shouting “Codpiece! Codpiece!” at the performers. Eventually he was calmed by his mother. Dandois also said of Kinkade, “Thom would be fine, he would be drinking, and then all of a sudden, you couldn’t tell where the boundary was, and then he became very incoherent, and he would start cussing and doing a lot of weird stuff.” On 11 June 2010, Kinkade was arrested in Carmel, California on suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
I remember my daughter getting into his "art" when she was about 12. Bought a lot if his stuff for her. RIP.


I want to fuck your girlfriend.
My mom will be sad. It was aspartame that got him.


Supreme Champion!!!!!
Googled some of his work. Ok, not my cup of tea. Saw it in the Holiday Inn room I stayed at once.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
What a waste...

Coroner: Valium, alcohol killed painter Kinkade

Mercury News staff reports
Posted: 05/07/2012 07:43:54 PM PDT
Updated: 05/08/2012 07:54:41 AM PDT

Thomas Kinkade's death has been ruled an accident after he overdosed on a cocktail of alcohol and Valium, a new report says.

NBC Bay Area posted to its website Monday evening a portion of the autopsy from the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's Office. Officials at the coroner's office said they could not provide the report until Tuesday morning.

Kinkade, the "Painter of Light," was 54 when he died at his Monte Sereno home on April 6. He was proclaimed as one of the most popular artists of all time, but relatives said the criticism he drew for producing works described by some as tacky took its toll in his final years. He eventually separated from his longtime wife, was arrested for DUI and battled an alcohol addiction.

Dr. Joseph O'Hara, the county's lead medical examiner, said in a report dated Wednesday that the cause of Kinkade's death was accidental "acute ethanol and Diazepam intoxication."

Ethanol is the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. Diazepam is a muscle relaxant, usually sold under the brand name Valium, that is sometimes used to treat agitation caused by alcohol withdrawal. It is also prescribed to treat anxiety, muscle spasms and seizures.

Also contributing to Kinkade's death, the report said, were "hypertensive and atherosclerotic heart disease."

Hypertension refers to heart problems caused by high blood pressure while atherosclerosis is plaque buildup in arteries.

Early Tuesday morning,
Kinkade's family released a statement on the autopsy: "The family is sorting through a number of different issues and has not had an opportunity to fully review these results."

Kinkade's brother, Patrick, previously told this newspaper that the painter had battled alcoholism for four or five years and had been clean in recent months before relapsing before his death.

His girlfriend had told police the morning of his death that he had been drinking all night, according to dispatcher recordings posted online.

A representative for Kinkade's family said Monday that the family had no immediate comment.