Thor

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Looks like we're gonna be seeing the Mighty God Of Thunder soon...

Thor Strikes Hollywood Natalie Finn
Fri Aug 10, 3:26 PM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice…unless Thor's around, that is.

The hammer-tossing superhero is the latest star from the comic-book vault to get in line for big-screen treatment, with Marvel Studios lining up British auteur Matthew Vaughn to direct Thor, based on the Stan Lee-created character.

Marvel is hoping to get production in progress by this winter. Mark Protosevich, whose latest project was the apocalyptic Will Smith thriller I Am Legend, will pen the screenplay.

As laid out in the 1962 comics franchise The Mighty Thor, the Norse god of thunder and war is sent by his father Odin to inhabit the body of mere mortal Dr. Donald Blake, in order to teach the arrogant lad some humility. Once Odin is satisfied that his son has learned his lesson, Thor no longer requires a regular-guy alter ego and can be counted on to save the world from the inevitable variety of humanity-threatening evil-doers.

Describing the thought process that went into creating Thor 40-some years ago, Lee wrote in his 2002 autobiography Excelsior! The Amazing Life of Stan Lee:

"I wanted to come up with something totally different. I thought it would fun to invent someone as powerful as, or perhaps even more powerful than, the Incredible Hulk. But how do you make someone stronger than the strongest human? It finally came to me: Don't make him human—make him a god."

There's no word yet on who might be asked to wear the winged helmet, but as is the case when Hollywood utters the words "superhero" or "sci-fi," the blogs are already atwitter with suggestions.

"This pretty much has Josh Holloway written all over it," wrote IceTruckDexter on cinematical.com, while others suggested Matthew McConaughey, Jason Mewes (must be a hair thing), New Zealand-born actor Karl Urban (lately an assassin in The Bourne Supremacy) and, of course, Vincent D'Onofrio, who memorably played a beefy mechanic who was mistaken for Thor in Adventures in Babysitting in 1987.

Hopes are high, especially considering the sleight of hand Marvel Studios displayed in casting its other upcoming additions to the comic-book-film canon, The Incredible Hulk, due out June 13, 2008, and Iron Man, slated for a May 2 release.

Edward Norton is suiting up as the volatile Dr. Bruce Banner for the not-quite-a-sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk, and Liv Tyler plays love interest Betty Ross. Tim Roth, William Hurt and Tim Blake Nelson are also on hand to up the action flick's dramatic pedigree.

Former Swinger Jon Favreau's take on Iron Man stars Robert Downey Jr. as the metallically-enhanced hero, with Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Samuel L. Jackson and Hilary Swank rounding out the supporting cast.

Thor will be only the third trip behind the camera for Vaughn, who made his directing debut with 2004's heist romp Layer Cake, and whose second film, the fantasy-adventure Stardust, starring Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro, comes out Friday.

The London native also produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Swept Away, with an emphasis on the first two.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
God I hate comic book movies. I'm just waiting to see how the fuck up Batman after they fixed it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I still want the offensively jingostic and racist Captain America movie.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo

Fuck the hulk, Thor could beat up Jesus (Ok so maybe I'm a little bias).

-

Aizazzle

I always have a plan
Jul 27, 2006
Philly
McKidd Talks Thor

http://movies.ign.com/articles/934/934750p1.html

December 2, 2008 - IGN caught up with Rome and Journeyman star Kevin McKidd at last night's after party for the premiere of Punisher: War Zone, starring McKidd's Rome co-star Ray Stevenson, where we asked the actor if he was still in the running for Marvel's live-action Thor movie.

McKidd confirmed for IGN that he's still a contender for the lead role and that there's been "a lot of back and forth" about the project of late, but that nothing has been determined. He acknowledged that Kenneth Branagh is directing it, a choice that makes him even more excited about the film.

McKidd stressed that the part that he's up for is indeed that of Thor and not a supporting role. This contradicts what McKidd told us last year when he suggested that Thor might be played by a younger actor and that he would be up for a different role instead.
Looks like Kenneth Branagh is confirmed as the director, and I really hope McKidd ends up getting the nod as Thor.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
If Thor joins the Aryan Nation I'm watching this.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Okay so we got Iron Man and Nick Fury out to put a team together , and there is going to be 2 Captain America movies, a Thor movie, and then an Avengers movie - I'm guessing, Fury is going to get Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor together along with a lame ass version of Hawkeye, Giant/Ant Man and the Wasp to go get the Hulk and then they'll work in that Giant/Ant Man beats his wife and builds an evil robot who is out to take over the world, and then the bad robot builds a good robot, then the good robot will join the team and marry Magneto's daughter.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I'm gonna go with Brad on this. Thor's a homo. No, I will not take it back.

Dec 12, 2007
I'm gonna go with Brad on this. Thor's a homo. No, I will not take it back.
Ted voice: HES THE GOD OF THUNDER! HE WEILDS THE POWER OF LIGHTNING WITH HIS SURLY TEMPER AND STONE HAMMER! HE BEAT THE FROST GIANTS OF VANDERBALTH AND ASS ***** THE GREAT MELMAMAC OF GROVANAR!

Thats Ted the Norse God Expert.

Dec 12, 2007
God I hate comic book movies. I'm just waiting to see how the fuck up Batman after they fixed it.
Simple add a new love story and mix in a little Robin and poof. Annoying female character and even more annoying child actor and a series is ruined.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
As long as they keep Thor away from Sickboy and Renton they're a bad influence on him. "yes i realize i went back aways for a Kevin McKid movie reference"

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
[YT]cZHPT4_0NM4[/YT]
Vincent Donofrio then, and now:

Wow did he ever turn into a fat piece of shit.

BTW, love the Adventures in Babysitting reference, I watched that movie about 8 billion times as a kid.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
Vincent Donofrio then, and now:

Wow did he ever turn into a fat piece of shit.

BTW, love the Adventures in Babysitting reference, I watched that movie about 8 billion times as a kid.
Private Pyle "turned into" a fat piece of shit? :icon_conf

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Hmm, McKidd would definitely be an interesting choice for Thor. I like him as an actor and wouldnt mind seeing someone lesser known like him in the role.

DocSavage

Bringing true "old School" whoopass since 1932.
May 4, 2005
86th floor of the Empire State Building
Thor Casting is in the Final Stages

Source:MTV May 12, 2009

Thor director Kenneth Branagh dropped by the MTV studios and was asked about the casting of the title role.

"We're down to the final stages of it," Branagh said. "The reason one has to be properly diplomatic, is simply that some talented peopled have been patient, kind, creative and really committed to working with us in this process."

He added that "My reluctance to say anything about it is simply out of respect for people who have been extremely respectful of us. That said, I think we are extremely close and I hope to announce a decision sooner rather than later."

Marvel Studios is targeting a May 20, 2011 release for the film.

Chimp Pembry

All aboard for fun and hijinks!
May 28, 2008
CA
New Zealand-born actor Karl Urban (lately an assassin in The Bourne Supremacy)
Wow, timely reference. It's not like he was in bigger, more recent movies. Like Lord of the Rings or Star Trek.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
These breakdowns mean anything to Thor fans?

"THOR"
Director: Ken Branagh
Studio: Marvel
Shoot: Mid Jan to End of April 2010

CHARACTER BREAKDOWNS
[VOLSTAGG]
Male. Early to mid 30’s. 6'2" or taller. SUPPORTING. obese but
agile, fun, good-hearted, a warrior but prefers eating over fighting. OPENTO ALL ETHNICITIES.

[HOGUN]
Male. Early to mid 30’s. SUPPORTING. Grim, stoic, fearless. A man
of few words who lives for battle. OPEN TO ALL ETHNICITIES.

[FANDRAL]
Male. Early to mid 30’s. Brave, handsome, suave, swashbuckling,and masculine. A skilled fighter who prefers women over combat. OPEN TO ALL ETHNICITIES.

[BALDER]
Male. Mid-late 20’s. SUPPORTING. A heroic soldier, handsome, kind,
thoughtful, loyal, pure-hearted, and loved by all. CAUCASIAN