Throttle position sensor failing?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I noticed a problem with my car yesterday. After coming to a complete stop, I'd have to press the gas pedal all the way down to get it moving again, but the gas pedal responded properly if I didn't stop completely, even if it was just idling along. Then the next time I started the car up, it worked properly again.

A little Googling leads me to think this is the throttle position sensor acting up. But since it worked properly the next time I started the car, I'm wondering if it's something more in the electrical system than the sensor itself - on the theory that rebooting the system wouldn't have an effect on the sensor. Any ideas, and how serious is this?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I noticed a problem with my car yesterday. After coming to a complete stop, I'd have to press the gas pedal all the way down to get it moving again, but the gas pedal responded properly if I didn't stop completely, even if it was just idling along. Then the next time I started the car up, it worked properly again.

A little Googling leads me to think this is the throttle position sensor acting up. But since it worked properly the next time I started the car, I'm wondering if it's something more in the electrical system than the sensor itself - on the theory that rebooting the system wouldn't have an effect on the sensor. Any ideas, and how serious is this?
You can’t diagnose something like that with out proper scan equipment, and Willy nillly replacing parts is a bad thing. What kind of car, and when you say “push pedal” all the way down, was the car revving like it was at full throttle or was it idling until you pushed it all the way down.
There are usually several sensors in that system, the TPS and the pedal sensor, and the mass airflow sensor, if all those numbers don’t jive, the car won’t run correctly (and on a lot of cars, there are other sensors in that same circuit that will also effect it the IAC, MAP, trans sensors..... depends on the car)

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Had a TPS issue with my past truck and ended up being the wiring harness that plugs into the TPS. Was during a very rainy day and most likely some water got in and was shorting the wires together.

Have heard on my new Tacoma that some of the manufacturing plants got some bad TPS where the actual sensor is the problem and could fail in just a couple thousand miles. The picture above is pushing 250k miles and nothing wrong with the sensor, just wires.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
It was just idling until I mashed the pedal all the way down. And like I said, it resolved itself the next time I started the car. So I wouldn't think it's the sensor itself because restarting shouldn't effect the sensor.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
It was just idling until I mashed the pedal all the way down. And like I said, it resolved itself the next time I started the car. So I wouldn't think it's the sensor itself because restarting shouldn't effect the sensor.
Sounds like it’s fixed.

It totally won’t floor itself at an inopportune time.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
What kind of car is it?

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Could be a number of things, TPS, Throttle body flap stuck closed, some issue with a trans sensor, the pedal it self, a chipmunk nibbled on a wire bad batch of gas. Basically you'll be chasing a ghost unless it happens regularly. You'll also need some fancy scan tool to diagnose it yourself and access to Nissan shop manual. They make it very hard to dyi the newer shit any more. I worked at a Hyundai dealership for a few years and even with all the latest and greatest tools and information sometimes still would go nuts trying to figure shit out.

Unless you wanna fire up the parts cannon and just have at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
2015, that’s a very new car, I have a feeling I would just wait till it actually breaks

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I'm not doing anything unless it happens again. So far it was just the one time, but it was at every red light during that trip.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Probably, but unless it happens again, they're not going to find anything if I take it in. Then I've just wasted everybody's time and lost a day of work.
Not necessarily, they often have technical service bulletins and silent recalls that you never know about

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Not necessarily, they often have technical service bulletins and silent recalls that you never know about
Yea it's an unspoken thing with dealerships. They aren't allowed to upsell warranty work. Meaning you have your car in for service and let's say I'm working on it. If I see something that is broken that would be covered under warranty I'm not allowed to say anything about it. Unless it's a blatant safety concern, or would cause the car to fail for safety inspection. Also they all have Technical service bulletins which are just well a few mechanics figured out if this is happening it's because of this. But don't fix it unless the cust complains about it. Some times they cust has to be very specific about the complaint.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Yep. Ford is probably worse than most in this regard.
BMW likes to upgrade your software every time they get the chance, but will never tell you it needs to be done

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
You got to love that, you find hundreds of posts complaining online about a very specific problem with a product. Bring it up to a CSR or in the case of an auto, a service department at a dealership and they act like this is the first time this particular problem has ever been found.

Cunts

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
We subscribe to Alldata and we get all the latest bulletins.
There's tons of problems they know about that they don't
tell the consumer about.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
We subscribe to Alldata and we get all the latest bulletins.
There's tons of problems they know about that they don't
tell the consumer about.
Yep. My folks had a Ford minivan with only 25K miles on it. It was almost three years old and the tranny started acting up - slipping, not shifting, etc. They took it into the dealer, who said nothing was wrong with it. It kept happening. Warranty then expired, and it turns out there was a TSB on the problem that was nearly two years old. Had to fight like hell, but Ford ended up replacing the transmission. After that, started using coolant. Didn't even have 30K on it. It got traded in on a Toyota.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Yep. My folks had a Ford minivan with only 25K miles on it. It was almost three years old and the tranny started acting up - slipping, not shifting, etc. They took it into the dealer, who said nothing was wrong with it. It kept happening. Warranty then expired, and it turns out there was a TSB on the problem that was nearly two years old. Had to fight like hell, but Ford ended up replacing the transmission. After that, started using coolant. Didn't even have 30K on it. It got traded in on a Toyota.
That's why I always tell people that if they have a problem
with a car that's under warranty take it back to the dealer
and complain even if it's an intermittent problem.

You'll have a receipt from the dealer noting your complaint
even if they find nothing wrong. If the problem finally does
cause a failure after the warranty is done you can prove
it was there before.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

it was there before.
Only reason we found out about the TSB was I had a friend who was a salesman at another Ford dealer. He got me a copy of the TSB.

Wrecktum

Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
You got to love that, you find hundreds of posts complaining online about a very specific problem with a product. Bring it up to a CSR or in the case of an auto, a service department at a dealership and they act like this is the first time this particular problem has ever been found.

Cunts
Those people are the worst. Fucking Facebook mechanics.

it was there before.
Take it back every week if you have to, call the manufacturer non-stop. Just what ever you do don't trash the dealership on their survey. And always a 5 star review. All that does is fuck the Service writers pay up.

Unless they deserve it. Then trash them on it because that's all dealerships care about.