Tiger Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
An amazing athlete frist off.

Second, the win of The Tour Championship today brings so much...

he wins the FedEx Cup
largest purse ever - 10 million dollars
one win away from Arnold Palmers all time wins

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
I love golf, and really respect it as a sport. my grandfather was a PGA pro.

but I have a real hard time calling a golfer an amazing athlete.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
I love golf, and really respect it as a sport. my grandfather was a PGA pro.

but I have a real hard time calling a golfer an amazing athlete.
most of them aren't... Tiger is.

thats really cool about your grandfather... was he a local shopper or a tourer?

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
most of them aren't... Tiger is.

thats really cool about your grandfather... was he a local shopper or a tourer?
he was both. mostly a coach. he had a school in nyc where at some point he gave jackie gleason and lessons, and jfk a couple of times.

is tiger a real athlete cause his skin is dark? hes kinda got a muscular build, and that makes him an athlete? Ive never once seen him actually move his feet.

hes a phenominal competitor, one of the best ever. but I cant agree on athlete

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
alot of non pro golfers that are very good are great athletes. thats why NFL quarterbacks always manage to be great golfers- they are athletes that can figure out a new sport.

most just about every top pro golfer ive ever known of pretty much just played golf for his whole life. you pretty much have to in orer to do this one thing over and over again so well and consistently

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
You need to be an athlete to swing a club the way Tiger does. The dude is a beast, and no one even comes close to him.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
I'm amazed that someone can so thoroughly dominate in a sport of that difficulty...he'll have well over 100 tournaments in his case when he's finished

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
read this ESPN article about his workout routine.

i think you will understand why i say "most of them aren't... Tiger is."

that is one of the many reasons he stands out amongst the normal golfers physique and training regiment.

he is ripped/strong and extremely aerobically fit... that is an athlete.

its as simple as the two extremes comparison.

John Daly -------- most golfers -------- Tiger Woods

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I heard that he's put on something like 45 pounds of muscle since he joined the tour. That's like 1/4 of a person.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
I heard that he's put on something like 45 pounds of muscle since he joined the tour. That's like 1/4 of a person.
its all in the article i linked above.

ESPN article said:
When he joined the tour out of Stanford in 1996, Woods carried only 158 pounds on his 6 foot, 2-inch frame. Today, he weighs between 182 and 185 -- a gain of nearly 30 pounds

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
every person ever described as a great athlete was basically labelled that because of their movement. tiger is black and works out. other than that he doesnt do the physical things everyone else' athleticism is based on.

dont get me wrong, I root for the guy often. he ran the 400 meter and cross country in high school? the white guy races, I rest my case

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
The best part is the silent FU he gave the PGA Tour by skipping the 1st leg of the FedEx Cup and still running away with the $10 million.

tar_baby

Rush Limbaugh
Jul 25, 2005
Notre Dame, IN
an arrogant monkey is a more accurate description

he doesn't have close to the level of competition that Nicklaus had...all the current pros are pussies who just play for 2nd cause they fold to tigger

GDRC

This is what I do now
Jun 28, 2006
MA
The competition for Tiger is greater than Nicholas because he is not just playing against white Americans. He is playing against whites from Europe and South Africa and one black guy from Fiji.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
an arrogant monkey is a more accurate description

he doesn't have close to the level of competition that Nicklaus had...all the current pros are pussies who just play for 2nd cause they fold to tigger
i think he's earned the right to be arrogant... i would be if i had that much talent and a work ethic like that.

the level of competition that jack had was only realized years later, when those said "players of competition" had reached a certain point in their carrer (other than arnie or player, etc. that were established). years from now people will say how good sergio, adam scott, kj, zach johnson, mike weir, etc were as far as tigers competition but the fact remains that tiger is a step above and ahead all the time.

and if you really think that people fold to tigger, then he must have a notch over jack, since i dont recall hearing of jacks competition laying down when he showed up to the course.

there is moe competition today than there ever has been in the past.

jones and nicklaus were the only others that were that far above their competition at the time... jones being the furthest ahead by far, even moreso than tiger today.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Tiger isnt really arrogant at all. Hes just extremely confident in his abilities. and hes a bit dorky, so he doesnt really let another personality out.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
Tiger Woods to have season-ending knee surgery

Tiger Woods to have season-ending knee surgery

DOUG FERGUSON – AP said:
Tiger Woods is done for the year, but not without one last major that he said might have been his best ever. Woods explained why Wednesday when he revealed he will have season-ending surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee that he injured 10 months ago.

He also suffered a double stress fracture of his left tibia two weeks before the U.S. Open, ignoring doctors' advice to take six weeks off to let it heal. And he still won the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, going 91 holes over five days on a knee that was getting worse.

"Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee," Woods said on his Web site.

He had arthroscopic surgery April 15 to clean out cartilage in his left knee, bypassing ACL surgery with hopes it could get him through the 2008 season. But the stress fracture and a ligament that could no longer sustain a powerful swing made it impossible to keep going.

Woods did not say when he would have surgery. His swing coach, Hank Haney, said the recovery is typically six to eight months.

"He's been playing way less than 100 percent for a long, long, time," Haney said. "It has limited him a lot in practice. He's going to come back better than he's ever been."
That really, really sucks!

I figured he wold wait till after the PGA, to do this.

----

edit ~ I found the thread about it, right after posting this... sorry!
http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=92378

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
You search and dig up an almost year old thread but somehow miss this one?

http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=92378
Thanks mr redundant... I wish someone wouldda pointed that out via an edit 33 minutes before you posted.
:icon_roll

and if inquiring minds want to know : the only reason I didn't find that one first, was because it didn't include his last name in the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.