OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Darth Mode, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Darth Mode

Darth Mode You went over my helmet?!

As a fan of Tim Burton's work, I'll be checking this one out. Even though it's a musical. Check out the trailer on Yahoo! Movies here.

2. Capt.Hilarious

Capt.Hilarious Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?

Good call on the thread.

I have to admit this is my favorite musical. Technically it's an operetta which probably makes it gayer.

This show is far from gay though. It is one of the darkest most interesting stories and the music that Stephen Sondheim wrote is really amazing.

I was a little skeptical when I first heard that Tim Burton was doing this - but from what I just saw it looks like he's stayed true to the original score. Not sold on Johnny Depp's singing from the few seconds that I heard in the preview. This role is as manly and awesome a role as you can find in theater.

Plus Sacha Baron Cohen is in it and plays a pretty funny character.

Here's a pretty sweet poster:

[​IMG]

[/end slightly homo commentary]

3. krisko

krisko Mrs. Fuckin Funny

wow, i'm really excited about this one. love johnny depp and alan rickman. not surprising to see johnny depp in another tim burton movie, i've liked their work together in the past...also, i can't wait to hear johnny depp sing a little more

4. Razor Roman

Razor Roman Save the USH!

I actually like musicals, so I'll probably check it out--- i just hope it's an actual musical, and not one of those musicals that "apologizes" for being a musical by coming up with some sort of stupid theatrical convention for why they sing (like Johnny Depp blacks out and imagines every scene in which they are singing or something dumb like that)

5. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I have seen soooo many translations of this...the best thus far, in my opinion, was the Ben Kingsley version on Cable (not a musical)...I think this might be a creepier version and a better dark comedy.

6. krisko

krisko Mrs. Fuckin Funny

like Chicago?!

7. Sack of Chisels

This movie looks awesome, cinematography wise, the acting is probably superb, and you can't go wrong with a Burton dark comedy. while the musical part is pretty lame i'll probably still see it.

8. Razor Roman

yeah, like Chicago. It kinda worked for Chicago, but sometimes movie people seem to think that because it works for one it would work for all.

9. krisko

krisko Mrs. Fuckin Funny

yeah i really liked Chicago, I can't relaly think of any other examples....have any?

10. Razor Roman

not yet -- thankfully...

11. silentbob8201

silentbob8201 Registered User

first that Jay and Silent Bob Comic getting ripped off now Jersey Girl? Foreshame Tim Burton

12. JimmyD81

JimmyD81 That Metal Guy

:cool8:

The only thing that Sweeney Todd had to do with Jersey Girl was that the daughter loved the play and wanted to perform a scene from it in front of her school with her father. Other than that, Sweeney Todd is a pretty well-known operetta.

I'll def. be going to see it as I'm not completely adverse to musicals. Phantom of the Opera was a really good show, and the movie wasn't half bad (thanks to Gerard Butler's portrayal )... so maybe Sweeney Todd will be treated well in the cinema.

13. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
    [​IMG]

14. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I'm not really a Tim Burton fan. I might see this one but I'm probably not going to pay for it.

15. silentbob8201

silentbob8201 Registered User

Why cant he go back and make good movies you know like Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Frankenweenie

16. Darth Mode

Darth Mode You went over my helmet?!

17. Razor Roman

he is.

he signed a deal with Disney to make a feature length version of Frankenweeine as well as an Alice In Wonderland film.

18. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Wait, I thought the Alice in Wonderland movie was supposed to be Based on the PC video game Alice.

19. 25133WhooOoAH

25133WhooOoAH I hATe yoU

This looks amazing

20. Kris_LTRMa

Kris_LTRMa LoseTheRadio.net's Ma

Saw the trailer last night at the movies. Looks like it's going to be a great movie. I saw it on Broadway years ago so I'm anxious to see how well it's going to translate onto the screen.

21. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

so for anyone who has seen other versions as well as the new release, how was this compared? I went and saw it yesterday and was really annoyed. I knew it was a musical, but it is one that thinks they need to sing every single line of the movie. I thought the actually cinematography was beautiful, and the story was fantastic, but the singing made me want to rip out their throats.

22. Ronreddog

Ronreddog Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy

We went to see this on Christmas Day. I am not a fan of musicals, but, Chrissy likes them, and, of course, likes Johnny Depp, and we had free tickets.

I never saw the other versions, so no comparison here. The acting was good, not Depp's best, and the ending was too predictable. I was hoping for a nice sex scene, but, nope!

I agree about the singing, and he was slicing throats, so almost like ripping, right? ;)

23. fkornre

fkornre Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...

i am interested in seeing this movie...

there is a salon in Milltown, NJ called Sweeney Todd (the owner loved the story)

24. weakside

weakside He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.

I like Tim Burton's work and I will definitely see this.

25. krisko

krisko Mrs. Fuckin Funny

i saw it yesterday....i loved it. i went with a male who wasn't at all partial to musicals but i think the throat slicing won him over. my favorite part was teh teenagers walking out after teh first 5 minutes when they figured out it was a musical. fucking dolts.