Time Magazine Picks OWS as Top U.S. News Story for 2011

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Kyle Wingfield
In Time’s minds, at least, OWS is tops in 2011

4:12 pm December 7, 2011, by Kyle Wingfield

I find it hard to believe this is true for most Americans: Time has declared the top U.S. news story of this year “Occupy Wall Street Protests Spread.” Here’s the magazine’s explanation:

On Sept. 17, a couple hundred protesters demonstrating against the excesses of corporate execs and the pervasive influence of high finance in U.S. politics set up camp in Lower Manhattan’s Zuccotti Park and refused to leave. It was an unlikely occupation, one without leaders, agendas or even a clear sense of goals, but it soon was echoed in myriad cities across the U.S. and the world. To some, Occupy Wall Street is the left-wing iteration of the Tea Party, directing their rage not at big government but at the big banks that gutted the world economy and took billions in bailouts from the U.S. government while awarding themselves hefty bonuses.

But many in the movement see their cause as part of a more global zeitgeist, in keeping with the anti-austerity demonstrations in Europe and the leaderless uprisings of the Arab Spring. The Occupy movement has remained leaderless, amorphous and spontaneous — demonstrators carry signs advocating everything from financial reform to healthcare reform to a ban on fracking — it’s still unclear what sort of real lasting political effect the movement can have. But the sheer persistence of the occupations, galvanized by incidents of heavy-handed policing in New York and California that shocked the nation, have given the protesters’ appeals for economic justice a weight that may play a real role in the upcoming presidential election.

So “sheer persistence” with “unclear…lasting political effect” — and it’s particularly unclear, given that the movement was greatly diminished within two months of its beginning — makes for the year’s top story? A year in which the U.S. military is vacating Iraq after eight years of war; the economy is still stagnant, two years after that was Time’s top story; and the Republicans waged an unpredictable primary? (If you’re wondering where the killings of Osama bin Laden and Moammar Gadhafi are, they’re Nos. 2 and 5, respectively, on the list of top world news stories.)

Get back to me when they’ve achieved something other than destruction of property.

In case you’re wondering, the birth of the tea parties didn’t merit a top-10 mention by Time in 2009; it wasn’t until last year, when they achieved results in the midterm elections, that the story of the tea partyers received a No. 2 ranking.

Ideology isn’t the only explanation. Time’s OWS explanation refers to the tea party, so it’s more likely that the success of the tea party makes the magazine’s editors more likely to think OWS, too, can have a large effect.

The write-up does, however, betray a kind of hopeful anticipation of said large effect. And while the editors might not have referenced last year’s edition while crafting this year’s, I challenge you to find balance and impartiality in Time’s selection of photos for the tea party and OWS (you’ll have to click those links; I can’t post Getty images here).

So, who agrees with Time that OWS is really the year’s top story?

http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/2011/12/07/in-times-minds-at-least-ows-is-tops-in-2011/
Time's Top Ten:
Occupy Wall Street Protests Spread
The Republican Presidential Race
The Economy
Iraq: The Long Goodbye
Gabrielle Giffords Shooting
The Penn State Child Sex Abuse Scandal
The Debt-Ceiling Crisis
The Death of Steve Jobs
Freak Weather
The Execution of Troy Davis

Breitbart also called bs on this.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Kim Kardashian's wedding was a bigger story than OWS. It also lasted longer.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Nobody should be surprised by this. At all.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
So did the Japanese earthquake, which was worse than Chernobyl and still didn't make the list.
Wait, what? Fukushima was by no means worse than Chernobyl.
Yeah unless I'm haven't heard the news of people not being able to move back into the area, there is no way that Fukushima was worse than Chernobyl.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
People still read Time Magazine?

I don't know how the Bin Laden assassination isn't a US related story

I'm guessing even if aliens landed at the White House, Time would still have said #OccupyWallStreet was a bigger story

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
The Fukushima Dai Ichi plant failure wasn't, but the earthquake and tsunami were obviously bigger disasters than Chernobyl.

And in the US, the expansion of government debt this year is by far the biggest news. Followed by the LA Police finally solving the baffling murder of Bob Hope.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I would've expected Obama lowering unemployment to 3% and how he figured out how to easily eliminate $15T in debt with a snap of his finger...would've been #1. :icon_cool

Don't understand the Osama snub...it was a pretty important American story. I mean, you can put Iraq up there...and Troy Davis...but not the death of Osama? Whatever Time.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
You guys need to open your eyes. The Rich in this country feed of the suffering of the poor. The Occupy movement is going nowhere until this broken system is stopped and everyone has their fair share. Of course we are the biggest story of the year. Where else do you see anyone fighting for real change.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
You guys need to open your eyes. The Rich in this country feed of the suffering of the poor. The Occupy movement is going nowhere until this broken system is stopped and everyone has their fair share. Of course we are the biggest story of the year. Where else do you see anyone fighting for real change.
Ok, who made the fucking troll account?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Of course i'm the troll. Not the bankers hoarding all the wealth while the rest of use struggle to put food on our tables. I imagine most of you here are part of the "middle class." Well news flash people, you only have what you have because they allow it. They use you as an army of protection against us all.

Give to enough people and you can **** the rest.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Of course i'm the troll. Not the bankers hoarding all the wealth while the rest of use struggle to put food on our tables. I imagine most of you here are part of the "middle class." Well news flash people, you only have what you have because they allow it. They use you as an army of protection against us all.

Give to enough people and you can **** the rest.
I'm going to occupy your mom.