OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Time Warner or RCN

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mags, Apr 3, 2013.

?

For cable and internets, who is better?

1. RCN

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Time Warner

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Recently bought a condo and my building allows TWC or RCN. Just trying to get a consensus since TWC has so far been beyond shit. Building is 2 years old so it ain't the wiring. TWC has been out to replace a wireless router which still doesn't work so I bought my own and had them bridge theirs. They've also replaced my two DVRs and still the service is shit.

Anything recorded pauses, drops sound constantly. Scheduled shows either don't record or are blank when played. Live programming freezes and pixellates. The Guide is shit and DVR software is prehistoric.

Had DirecTV in my last building and it was flawless. Never had to reboot a DVR in 5 years.

mr. sin likes this.
  2. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well on my 4th DVR in 5 years from Time Warner... as you never get a new one, always get a refurb. At least this one is a Cisco rather then a Scientific Atlantic... seems to be fine... except I had to reboot it last night.

Same experience when we had Comcast... an slim to no chance of FIOS coming up here as Verizon sold that division to Fair Point... and apparently they are failing... bad.

3. Turfmower

Turfmower Registered User

I had RCN they blew. their shit was ancient 1 way cable modem with telephone return

4. gorram

gorram ;)

Can you not go back to Directv? No southwest shot? I know in some markets they have agreements with Internet providers for bundling services.

stevethrower Scientific Atlanta is Cisco, they bought them out some time ago. Cant speak for the DVR you have but SA actually was one of the best manufacturers in cable/satellite ever.

mr. sin likes this.
  5. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Yeah in my area Fios internet comes bundled with Directv.

6. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

And yeah, SA make good hardware. It's the shit TWC firmare that's the problem.

7. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

I live in a modern high-rise. If they don't allow Dtv to install giant dishes (3 of them) on the roof, there's no way to get it. My last building had a deal with DTV so that's why I was able to get that service.

mr. sin likes this.
  8. gorram

gorram ;)

Yea doing an MDU install with a whole building is expensive. Do you have balcony, of course on the south side of the building. There are supposed to be FCC rules that prohibit a property to keep you from installing a dish but for some people its just not worth the fight against building management.

mr. sin likes this.
  9. gorram

gorram ;)

This

mr. sin likes this.
  10. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Registered User

If you can afford it and/or have the know how, look into buying/building a media center PC. Pay a few bucks a month for a cable card and with the right device you can have four tuners. Plus a huge DVR.
    Use a Xbox 360 as a media extender on another TV to access the main media center and the tuners/DVR.

Of course the ease of use varies by provider. I'm sure TWC probably manages to be the worst. Losing on demand is the biggest negative, but you could save a lot long term without renting their POS DVRs.

Looking into it myself.... Slowly though.

11. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Ooof sounds like work. I like to hit hit a button and have great service, like I had with DTV. Fuuuuuck.

If I ever get fed-up enough, I might so that.

mr. sin likes this.
  12. gorram

gorram ;)

I think some cable co rental fee for card was just as much as DVR, and you still have to subscribe to the channels. Not sure where I saw it but saw an interesting take on a cable card system where you put it into a simple box similar to a roku and you could access it through networked computers/tablets/phones.

mr. sin likes this.
  13. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well I've had 4 in total (from Time Warner)... 3 were silver and branded Scientific Atlanta... the last one I got was branded Cisco and black and the control panel was different. Guess it could be the same machine... but it seems "quicker".

I wish I could just buy one... rather then renting one. With I dunno a bigger hard drive etc...

14. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

RCN still exists?!? I worked for them about a million years ago, thought they went belly up. I know they went chapter 11 a while back, didn't realize they survived it.

15. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Out here with TW, it's only $5 a month for a card, but you need your own equipment like a tuner card or TiVo.

16. gorram

gorram ;)

Probably simply a case where the cisco labeled one is newer as they wouldnt be making them under the SA name. Just like with Directv receivers and DVRs the newer model units are just faster, better processors than older units, bigger HD. Just like any other providers Directv will not let you demand that you have a HR24 for example they will give you HR21, 22, 23. To them they clarify all units as DVRs and you get the next one that happens to be in the pile. That doesnt mean the provider doesnt just fuck everything up one day with a shitty rewrite of the firmware that runs on the boxes.

Bigger HD, can you not add on external HD? Directv boxes have esata connection, I have just never used it. Of course content dumped onto that HD will only work with DVR it was recorded on.

$5 is reasonable but does seem not worth the effort unless their box is really horrid, which could be more common that not. Im saying that and I do regularly use a PC quite a lot on my TVs. Directv DVRs do work quite well and on demand is real easy with it.

mr. sin likes this.
  17. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Registered User

Well I have two multi room DVRs that I think cost me $20 a month each. Replacing them with one $5 cable card could save money, since I want to build a NAS type device anyway. My plan is to just have one box that does both. As I stated, I'm still looking into software options to accomplish what I want. Too much info out there to sorry through.

18. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Ya there is a bunch of various ports on the back... but I guess it would depend on if the firmware supplied "allows" them to work.

It just pisses me off that you cannot request a new one... like right out of the box. I do think this "new" one does have a bigger hard drive though...

I'm thinking those silver SA units must be pretty old as I want to say we had the same one from Comcast 6 years ago in our old house... note I had to change that one once in that year. At least it was only like a 10 minute drive to the Comcast office apposed to a 30 minute drive upstate to the Time Warner place.

Oh here is a fun fact for Rogers (they are in Ontario) my mother's office has Internet through them but also has to pay for basic cable... even though she has no TV's... assholes.

mr. sin likes this.
  19. Larz

Larz ****Self-Banned****
    It's My Birthday!

Stay with Time Warner... had RCN for a while and they kept cutting channels from my package. They also have periodic internet outages. After a while I got tired of threatening them to get freebie movie channels and just switched...

As has been mentioned, TWCs's equipment is beat to shit. I had to replace the box for one of my TVs 3 times. Other than that no problems.

I live downtown and my building got wired for FIOS about a year ago... does your building have some kind of exclusivity deal with TWC and RCN?

20. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Least you have a choice for cable provider... this town went with Time Warner... last place we had Comcast...

mr. sin likes this.
  21. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

I have RCN and I'm not crazy about it. Question is, do you download torrents or have any inclination to continue to do so in the future? If so, avoid TWC at all costs.

22. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank.

Yeah, well. The rumor is McCourt bailed on his majority stockholdings just before it took a dump.
    He was building the infrastructure to [ALLEGEDLY] sell to WorldCom. Oops.