To SSD or not SSD?

I am trying to decide between 2 new business laptops and am up in the air as to which one to go with. The main difference between them are the types of hard drive they use. One uses an SSD the other is a HDD.

I am aware that the HDD can store more data, but am not overly concerned about space on the unit. I looking am for more info about the performance & reliability of the SSD as they are relatively new.

Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with SSD drives?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Depends on the SSD, as some are definitely better than others. I used a Samsung 830 series when I rebuilt my desktop, and it has been excellent.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

The laptop with the SSD is a Lenovo. I am not sure what drives they use.

**EDIT**

Looks like they use SanDisk for their SSDs

**EDIT**

I have had mixed reviews on SSD drives, the ones that are reliable are great and the ones that have problems meh. The biggest noticeable difference is the much quicker boot time with SSD which would be good for a laptop since you might shut it down more than a desktop. I guess if you had a massive program (commercial graphics programs with many addons etc..) that had to load that would be faster too, you just wont see the difference in opening most apps like a web browser though. Write speeds will eventually be faster with SSD, but now they are about as fast as HDD. If you really dont need the archive space go with the SSD.

I seem to recall reading that Sandisk made decent drives and they have been making flash memory longer than most companies. Lenovo does seem to pick reliable hardware so I would trust them there.

I love my ssd. As my primary drive my OS boots fully in 30s, video ripping/encoding is super fast and games are ridiculously smooth.

Music, movies etc go on the spinning disk.

I have had mixed reviews on SSD drives, the ones that are reliable are great and the ones that have problems meh. The biggest noticeable difference is the much quicker boot time with SSD which would be good for a laptop since you might shut it down more than a desktop. I guess if you had a massive program (commercial graphics programs with many addons etc..) that had to load that would be faster too, you just wont see the difference in opening most apps like a web browser though. Write speeds will eventually be faster with SSD, but now they are about as fast as HDD. If you really dont need the archive space go with the SSD.
Most usage would be for Microsoft Office and remote connections back to the office. Nothing too crazy. Eventually I want to go with a 1 or 2 TB NAS unit in the house to act as a primary media server. I currently have a 1TB external hard drive that I can use for extra storage if needed.

I seem to recall reading that Sandisk made decent drives and they have been making flash memory longer than most companies. Lenovo does seem to pick reliable hardware so I would trust them there.

Yeah. I really like the products that they make. The only "issues" that I have run into with their products have been due to age.

Just try to get one that doesn't use sandforce drivers. I hear the new ocz vector is good. I can only speak to the Samsung 840 though.

**EDIT**

And mine boot damn near instantly... In my desktop I have a Seagate Momentus XT which is a solid state hybrid drive... which also boots very quickly.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Get the SSD. Platters aren't even legitimate options for the operating system drive anymore.

I bought a Patriot 32GB SSD in 2008 for $150 that still gets everyday use. The read/write speeds back then were only 175/100 (MB/s) and it was still the single most noticeable upgrade I'd ever made. XP booted in seconds. Even all of the Office bloatware was snappy again.

At the end of last year, I bought two 240GB SanDisk SSDs for $139 each that blow away that crusty old Patriot. Don't believe that tool above who said that write speeds are only "about as fast" as platter drive speeds. My SanDisks are individually rated at 550/520. Even the Velociraptors barely break 200/200. Those two SanDisks in RAID 0 get *over* 1 GB/s read speeds. It's fucking insane.

You absolutely will notice a difference using your web browser, too. The thousands of tiny files that your browser caches will be read back far faster from an SSD rather than scattered across a traditional hard drive.

Just get the SSD. Don't even think about it.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
A business laptop is where SSD is at its best (you need the speed since you close it all the time, but you don't really need too much storage space).

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
SSD here too on my desktop

I have not got one for my lappy yet

Highly recommend one as the boot times are insanely fast

I play no games soI have no experience there

A business laptop is where SSD is at its best (you need the speed since you close it all the time, but you don't really need too much storage space).
Well that and a little more "drop proof"... when I was disposing my chicks old 486 laptop... the platters were actually glass.

blazin

I run a Samsung 830 in my PC as a primary OS drive, then conventional spinny disk for my data.

Excellent performance.

The 830 has been replaced by the 840. I heard things about the 840 when it first came out, but I think nowadays its pretty stable and reliable.

Mikefrombx

I have had a g2 Intel 80 gb and I am now running a Samsung 470 120gb in my laptop. A ssd is the single best upgrade you can make to any computer and it allows it to be future proof. I don't like the ultra book new form factor because that shit is proprietary for most manufacturers.

The price is coming way down on 2.5 in ssd and msata drives as well. Try to stick to Intel, Samsung, and crucial (the m4 is still one of the top drives in terms of performance to reliability ratio). I know a lot of people that had a lot of trouble with ocz and Sandforce drives.

I have had a g2 Intel 80 gb and I am now running a Samsung 470 120gb in my laptop. A ssd is the single best upgrade you can make to any computer and it allows it to be future proof. I don't like the ultra book new form factor because that shit is proprietary for most manufacturers.

The price is coming way down on 2.5 in ssd and msata drives as well. Try to stick to Intel, Samsung, and crucial (the m4 is still one of the top drives in terms of performance to reliability ratio). I know a lot of people that had a lot of trouble with ocz and Sandforce drives.
Starting with the OCZ Vector, I heard that OCZ is making their own controller now so it should be far more reliable than the sandforce controller.

Bobobie

I have an SSD drive in my 5 year old netbook and have used the fuck out of it with no problems. I have an SSD drive in my desktop and it's great. I rarely turn it off or reboot it, just put it in sleep mode and it turns on and off almost instantly. Get a laptop with a second drive bay. Use the SSD for your boot and OS drive and use a regular HD for your documents, storage, and other crap.

My netbook uses an OCZ drive and the desktop has a Crucial

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I was all set to buy a 120 gb SATAIII OCZ drive refurbed from newegg. Actually completed the purchase. Then I read the reviews for the drive. Holy balls, I never saw such a universally panned device! 38% of the reviews were 1 egg. 23% were 5. The rest trended toward 2 and 3 eggs.

It was cheap, which was the only reason I was willing to pull the trigger on it to begin with.

Just thought I should let you know that I went with the SSD. Thanks for the help

I got a Lenovo x230 with 8GB of RAM and a 256SSD and runs 7 pro. It's a refurb but was only $915 +tax with free shipping. I'll let you know how it works out

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I think I need to jump on the SSD bandwagon, at least with one of our systems here at the house. I figure I can get another year or two out of the wife's desktop PC if I replace the hard drive with an SSD. She is starting to squawk about it being slow.

In the fall I have to get her a laptop for school. But I know her, she is trying to line me up to get a new desktop for the house now AND a laptop for her later...

I'm gonna buy an SSD to use as a portable backup. I just had my portable WD Firewire drive DIE on me with a whole day's work on it (before I could do my daily backup). Spent the whole day re-doing the work. Fuck these things!!!

Bobobie

I'm gonna buy an SSD to use as a portable backup. I just had my portable WD Firewire drive DIE on me with a whole day's work on it (before I could do my daily backup). Spent the whole day re-doing the work. Fuck these things!!!
If you plan on just swapping drives on the WD drive make sure it's Sata and also make sure it's a standard connector. Some of the drive makers are making the key different to keep people from buying the cheap portables and taking out the drives to put them in desktops and laptops. You can pick up an external case for just a bucks anyway. 4-10 bucks on NewEgg or Amazon. You don't need a heatsink or fan so any cheap plastic one will do.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Okay I'm gonna get an SSD. Anyone have a recommendation for a fast yet sizable one?

Primarily for gaming.

Okay I'm gonna get an SSD. Anyone have a recommendation for a fast yet sizable one?

Primarily for gaming.
The leap from mechanical drive to ssd is where you will see the speed increase. I have had success with corsair, kingston hyper and samsung. Always heard Intel was great but not cheap, also heard good things about crucial too. I wouldn't get too caught up in specs as much as what you find in a good deal or rebate offer.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
The leap from mechanical drive to ssd is where you will see the speed increase. I have had success with corsair, kingston hyper and samsung. Always heard Intel was great but not cheap, also heard good things about crucial too. I wouldn't get too caught up in specs as much as what you find in a good deal or rebate offer.
Yeah I don't know why I wrote "fast". They are all faster than hdds. Off to Newegg.

Johnnyboy

I am fairly clumsy when it comes to laptops, and I bang them around constantly. I have killed many hard drives in the past...
SDD are great for that alone... But I have also put them in my desktop, and it has provided a noticeable improvement in performance when playing games. Loading times have been cut in half.