Toilet help

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Ok, all you plumbers, both professional & amature. My bathroom toilet has been making this god awful whine when I flush it. I tried to get video, but of course the whine isn't nearly as bad as when I'm not trying to video it. I've narrowed it down...it's the water inflow. How do I fix it?

Second, I don't think the water to the tank has EVER been turned off in the last 20 years, and I can't budge it. What should I try? WD40? Coke (as in cola)? It's kind of awkward to get to because it's next to the vanity which doesn't help matters.

Third, I think I need to replace the valve (?) because I think I have a slow leak. I'm sure I can handle this but in light of my other two issues, do you think it's best for me to get someone to do this for me?

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Hmm. I think the squeal means that theres air & water fighing for the same space? Or maybe a clogged top vent. I'm not sure. Just sent another PM to GD regarding my own pot... I'll shut up now.

As for the shut off, I think wd40 will do it, or there are plenty of penatrating oils out there.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
If all the internals are old and you have hard water, you probably just have some seriously bad build up. I would probably just replace the stuff inside, you can do that cheap enough.

I am not a plumber, but I have done some plumbing around the house.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
It's probably the fill valve within the toilet itself. You would have to shut off the chrome valve under the toilet OR the main shut off to the house to replace it. You can pick up a toilet "guts" kit at any home center. See if you can find the make of the toilet before hand. It's usually stamped on the bowl right behind the seat or inside the tank once you lift up the lid.

If you have a pair of channel locks you can use them to move the chrome valve under the toilet to shut it off. If it hasn't been moved in years it may be a little froze. The main supply by the meter may be your best bet though. Turn it off and open a near by laundry sink or bath sink and flush the toilet being repaired to get the excess water out of the valve.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Call G. Dandy's plumbing service. I hear dey are da shiznit.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Am I the only one that has faith this gal can handle this herself?

Show us what you're made of HT. Put on that tool belt and leave the rubber boots in the garage! :D

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yeah,,,wait for GD but the other advice is good too about replacing the innards...it is plastic now and fairly cheap..

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
^

yea, if the supply valve or any other part has not been shut off in a long time, odds are it can break when you try to shut it off. You also don't want to be too rough with the guts because you can crack the tank and then you really are in some deep water.

Good luck sis.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Am I the only one that has faith this gal can handle this herself?

Show us what you're made of HT. Put on that tool belt and leave the rubber boots in the garage! :D
I'm sure she could, once she has an idea what needs to happen.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
The house I grew up in was old, and I watched my grandfather fix the guts enough to know how a toilet works. I just want to make sure that I'm going to spend my time fixing what needs to be fixed.

And yes, my fear is that if I force the shut-off valve to the toilet that it's going to break.

I'll wait for the President to arise (come to?) before I go running to home depot. :)

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Between Lowe's & Depot, it all depends what you're in to buy. I miss smaller hardware stores.

I'm buying my flapper thingy from a local hardware store the next town over.

(woo 3,800!)

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
There is a local hardware store a couple blocks from me. I could walk over & get what I need & make this my project for Saturday. After I get back from the beach, of course.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Typically, noises like this are caused by harmonic vibrations set up by the water flow through a restrictive orifice. Usually, you hear sounds like this as a commercial flush-o-meter is closing off on your way out of the public bathroom. If it hasn't always done it, the size of the orifice has probably changed over the years due to scale build up in the mechanism. Bottom line is, you'll have to change the "guts" as stated above.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
huh.. he said orifice.

(way to get scientific regarding a damn toilet! :action-sm)

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im sure glen dandy would fix it for a case of beer and the chance to meat you in person.......:action-sm

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I'm not sure I can convince Mr. Dandy to come up here & fix my toilet. He's already met me IRL, and it's a hell of a drive from souf jersey

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
im sure glen dandy would fix it for a case of beer and the chance to meat you in person.......:action-sm
fEz DID YOU INTENTIONAly SPELL MEET AS MEAT? iF YOU DID. i LIKE HOW YOU THINK.

i SPILLED BEER ON MY KEYBOARD now its really screwy.

HT... Like WMB said you might be better off turning the whole house on rather than screwing with the toilet valve,,, they can break pretty easy if your not careful. especialy if theyare old n brittle. same goes for the main if thats old. pick witch one looks less shitted up I guess.

turn the main off by the meter,,, drain the water from a lower fixture than your toilet.

BCH was correct in the noise.. when the fill valve starts getting old it shuts off toslow and the last bit of water with 80 lbs of pressure is pushing through a closing valve wich makes the noise... sounds like a horn right.

anyway just get the water cut off... buy one of those flexible water connectors they dont take much skill, and a new ballcock..< yup thats the real name in not fucking with you. mayby a new flapper for good measure... but dont try to put in a whole new flush valve... im sure it doesnt need it.,

put pipe dope on all the places water connects. (tephlon type) white.

and have a go at it... just for christ sakes turn the main off first in case you bust something.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
well, i have had the main off within the last year, so I guess that's the way to go.

It's more of a high pitched whine than a horn honk, and it's right as I flush it. Sometimes it lingers, sometimes it's just a second or two.

I think I'll write all this down & go to my local hardware store.

Here's the attempt at video so you could hear what it sounds like. Of course, it's not a lingering whine. It's only 15 seconds. http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/theldyguin/?action=view&current=0831070733.flv

Oh, and that purple thing is the Kaboom toilet cleaner. I love it!

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Buy the same ballcock you have in there already... its antisiphon... that bowl cleaner wears out parts really fast too,,, ya might wanna rethink using those products...

BTW thatsa mansfield toilet...

Dont buy the kits they are shit... just buy that same ballcock, the black thing... and a flapper by " corky" the ones with adjustable things underneath are good.

I wonder if that kaboom thing might even be causing the noise... bypass it n see if it goes away first.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Nope. The kaboom thing has been in there only a week or two. It was making the noise before I put it in. And it cleaned a spot I haven't been able to get clean for a couple months.