Tom Hanks apologizes for ‘hideously offensive’ blackface video

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Why do people get so bent out of shape over the whole blackface thing? Never could understand it. At the link there's the amateur home video of it, doesn't look that bad really. It's not like he Ted Dansoned it, he was just standing next to the guy.

Tom Hanks, under fire from conservatives, apologizes for ‘hideously offensive’ blackface video

The blackface video enraged conservatives, with some groups demanding President Obama cut ties with the actor, who recently narrated an ad for his re-election

By Aliyah Shahid / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, March 22, 2012, 1:54 PM

Tom Hanks, under fire from conservatives, apologized Wednesday for ‘hideously offensive’ video in which he appeared next to a man in blackface.
Andrew D. Bernstein/NHLI via Getty Images

Tom Hanks has played a gay man, a cross-dresser and a mentally-challenged sweetheart. But a newly uncovered performance in which he appears next to a man in blackface is one he likely wishes no one ever saw.

The actor, who recently narrated a President Obama re-election video, has issued an apology after conservatives dug up the video from 2004, admitting it was "hideously offensive."

In the two-and-a-half minute clip, which surfaced this week, Hanks is seen emceeing an auction at the St. Matthew's Parish School in Pacific Palisades, Calif., where his kids went to school.

He appears next to Eagles rocker Glenn Frey when a man in an Afro wig and animal print costume appears on the stage in blackface. The man is carrying a stuffed gorilla that was up for auction.

"A celebrity in our midst," Hanks says. "Who would have thought Bill O'Reilly would have joined us?" he said, referring to the Fox News host.

Hanks, a staunch Democrat, told The Daily Caller — which first posted the video — that he was sorry.

"I was blindsided when one of the parents got up on the stage in a costume that was hideously offensive then and is hideously offensive now," he said.

"I used Bill O'Reilly as the punch line of an uncomfortable joke that was hardly funny," he added.

The man in blackface has been identified as parent James Montgomery, who also said he was sorry.

O'Reilly told The Daily Caller he accepted Hanks' apology, saying "everybody makes mistakes. I don't think that Hanks had anything [in mind] other than trying to get a wise-guy line off."

The video was sent to the conservative website after Hanks lent his voice to Obama's 17-minute documentary, "The Road We've Traveled," which was directed by Academy Award winner David Guggenheim.

The spot, which cost at least $345,000 to produce, paints an effusively positive portrait of the commander in chief's first term in office.

The blackface video enraged conservatives, with some groups, including the Congress of Racial Equality, demanding Obama cut ties with Hanks and the ad.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ackface-video-article-1.1048975#ixzz1tkjQsscp

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Why do people get so bent out of shape over the whole blackface thing? Never could understand it. At the link there's the amateur home video of it, doesn't look that bad really. It's not like he Ted Dansoned it, he was just standing next to the guy.
Because Tom Hanks is a huge name who supports Obama. ANY reason (even feigned outrage) to get him apart from Obama will be taken.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
The same reason people are offended by a word, because of its history.

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I give Tom a pass because he wasn't the idiot in blackface and wasn't in on it. But by the same token (har-dee-harrr), if that happened to a Republican, he'd be hounded by the left until he was ruined.

Sep 28, 2010
did he apologize for his wigger son?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Thought this thread was about that leather face in jersey. Am I wrong?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Like every other "conservative outrage" story, no real people give a shit. Must suck to have nothing better to do than post these bullshit stories.